Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: car insurance

Boolit Master
    In reality the real issue is the cost of new & used cars the cost of repairs & the fact that most chassis damage on the new cars can't be repaired without interfering with the safety of the vehicle. Cars are much safer than years ago but because of this they also bend/give/tweak on impact. Lighter fuel efficient frame construction with built in safety measures. With all the air bag, sensors & integrated body structure the cost of repairing even a fairly new car in an accident that was bad enough to deploy the air bags or engage crumple zones is many times not worth repairing or not able to repair for safety reasons. Causing high payouts for insurance companies. The average new car cost is $50K & $65 for full sized pick up truck with the average cost of an EV costing in between.

Moderator Emeritus

My Father just finished his leased vehicle (he is almost 85) and one of the grandkids gave him a 2008 Malibu. Got a bill. From Geico for about $35. Bill said basically a processing charge. I called to complain and after a bunch of holds and hmms I was told that the 15 year old car was more expensive to insure (with reduced coverage, etc) than his leased vehicle. Been looking at switching as I have Geico also (I still get my NJ retired discount). Prices are unbelievable to insure him. I may not be able to switch his coverage. I pay way more for his coverage than I do for my 2017 Colorado. Ridiculous.

The agents and brokers that sell insurance don't really put this out and it varies state to state, however here in PA if someone were to hit your car/truck and has insurance like Allstate, Progressive, etc. that simply LOVE using cheap Chinese knock-off parts and you have a decent company like, USAA, State Farm, etc. bring up to either YOUR adjuster or agent that you want your car/truck repaired to USAA, State Farm, etc. specs using OEM parts. You shouldn't have to settle for someone else's ''discount'' insurance when you have good insurance. In such cases here, your good insurance would take over the repair responsibillity with the body shop and go after the discount insurance company for the difference. Don't let the likes of Allstate or Progressive use chinese parts on your car/truck.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Prices are unbelievable to insure him. I may not be able to switch his coverage. I pay way more for his coverage than I do for my 2017 Colorado. Ridiculous.
    Just like young drivers paying more in premiums than middle age drivers:
    It's all about the insurance company's risk, and how many claims they have to pay for people in his age bracket.
    If he's in a 2 door car, it'll be higher than a 4 door or a pick up in most places too.

In some places, it's big bucks to insure something like a Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, or a 'sports' car.
    Insurance companies often list them as a 'roadster' and consider them high risk.

In the old days, my Dad sold commercial insurance for fleets of trucks, workman's compensation for factories, etc.
    One client was going to buy an insurance package with premiums of over $100,000. a year.
    One condition was they also insure the client's 20 year old son with his new Corvette.
    Tying that condition in with the policy on a large fleet of 18 wheeler trucks
    was the only way he could get insurance for the kid.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

I go through Geico...no local agent.
    When my rates increased about 30% last May, I called the 800 number and a lady with a thick accent put me on with her boss...He said "inflation"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I go through Geico...no local agent.
    When my rates increased about 30% last May, I called the 800 number and a lady with a thick accent put me on with her boss...He said "inflation"
    There's a lot of that going around lately.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    ….If you belong to AAA, talk to one of their agents. They look for the best deal from multiple companies, and can usually find a good bundled package for auto and home.
    I’ve been with AAA for 40+ years. Until recently they didn’t offer auto insurance under their own brand in Fl, but they did sell other companies’ insurance. Our auto policy also went up 10% last year and another 33% this year. I understand newer autos are more expensive and more costly to repair. Neither of us have had a ticket or accident in four decades. We do carry a supplemental blanket liability policy which requires us to maintain 500K liability on our auto policy and 300K liability on HO.
    I shop around for auto & HO insurance every year.. As much as I’m irritated with AAA, no other company comes close to their price for auto insurance.
    We’ve had two of our HO insurance companies bailout of Fl. I’ve had quotes from AAA for HO. They are always 60% higher than the rest of the gougers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    The agents and brokers that sell insurance don't really put this out and it varies state to state, however here in PA if someone were to hit your car/truck and has insurance like Allstate, Progressive, etc. that simply LOVE using cheap Chinese knock-off parts and you have a decent company like, USAA, State Farm, etc. bring up to either YOUR adjuster or agent that you want your car/truck repaired to USAA, State Farm, etc. specs using OEM parts. You shouldn't have to settle for someone else's ''discount'' insurance when you have good insurance. In such cases here, your good insurance would take over the repair responsibillity with the body shop and go after the discount insurance company for the difference. Don't let the likes of Allstate or Progressive use chinese parts on your car/truck.
    I worked for USAA for 6 years as an auto claims adjuster, and unless something has changed, USAA will only authorize the use of new OEM parts on vehicles 2 yrs old or newer. If your vehicle is older, you get either used OEM parts or aftermarket parts. Geico was 1 year old or newer. But that was ten years ago.

Just looked it up on the USAA website and they now only authorize new OEM parts for current model year vehicles. They don't even mention used OEM parts...

https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/auto-in...kredirect=true

Will new original equipment manufacturer, or OEM, parts be used for my vehicle repairs?

We may include new OEM parts in your estimate for repairs to current model year or newer vehicles.

For older vehicles, your estimate will typically include quality replacement parts from other manufacturers or distributors. If you choose OEM parts, you'll be responsible for any cost differences in most states. We comply with all applicable state and federal laws when completing your repair estimate.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

There’s a reason why the biggest buildings in America are owned by Insurance Corporations.

Hartford thru AARP (I don't like AARP either so save it) and paying $1800 a year for a Toyota Highlander and a GMC Terrain and a $1,000,000 umbrella policy
    Same deal on Medicare supplement NON ADVANTAGE PLAN ...$478/mo/me and wife ...ZERO out of pocket use any Doc/Hospital that takes Medicare ..Advantage plan from ANYBODY are a financial liability/time bomb ..they limit who can administer medicine to you and REQUIRES the insurance company's authorization for everything that means anything ..
    So I take the AARP junk mail to the trash as I come from the mail box and bank the savings

Bear

Boolit Master
    Bmi notices the same thing I do.

https://www.suredividend.com/best-insurance-stocks/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    snip.

Arizona Allstate charges me $1200 a year for no coverage on three old cars.
    Pima county does not inspect cars, but the Sheriff will when he stops you.
    If I keep driving around here, I'm gonna get t-boned, they run red lights.
    Car culture is not sustainable.
    Re-elect nobody.

The red light has to be really sincere here, and so does the green before you head into the intersection.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Moderator Emeritus

Stat Farm raised rates 10%... time to look around for a deal... My car is a 2017 BUT very low mileage(23k) so I carry full coverage... some say that is foolish... I am not paying the repair costs if some uninsured reject hits me!

Car and homeowners insurance are nothing but ponsi schemes. In the event of a major disaster like Andrew was in Florida the guys in front of the claims line got a payout but the guys at the other end got squat. Why, the insurance companies ran out of money. How could that happen? Because they’re crooks. Did anyone go to prison for fraud. Don’t think so.

Insurance companies are all thieves until you need them.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Stat Farm raised rates 10%... time to look around for a deal... My car is a 2017 BUT very low mileage(23k) so I carry full coverage... some say that is foolish... I am not paying the repair costs if some uninsured reject hits me!
    My truck is a 2017 with less than 50K. Most of that was after I first got her and could still drive back to Jersey moving, etc before the pain got to bad. I still carry the same insurance as you do.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenbear View Post
    Hartford thru AARP (I don't like AARP either so save it) and paying $1800 a year for a Toyota Highlander and a GMC Terrain and a $1,000,000 umbrella policy………
    I just logged on to AARP to get a Hartford auto policy quote. It came back at $1,800 for 6 months, with 500 K liability. Neither of us has had an accident or moving violation for over 40 years. One 2022 vehicle is driven 10,000 miles / year. The other less than 2,000 miles a year.
    Must have something to do with where you live.

For big disasters, insurance companies have insurance on themselves in layers.

If one company has HUGE payouts, they pay the first 'so much', then another one will pay 'from so much,
    to another amount', and so on. That's how they never go broke.

If they claim they ran out of money--- it's a lie.
    There's an old joke about them: 'How do you know you're about to get ripped off by an insurance company'?
    The agent will say, "Trust me".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I have a 1995 Avalon I bought new, 285k on her, runs fine.
    I am keeping her for when she turns 30, she can be imported into Mexico.
    (with South Dakota plates, a fine scam)
    The HOA says we have to have plates, so she has to have insurance.
    Allstate says I can get a break if put a box in her to report her driving habits,
    that she really didn't go anywhere. Trouble is, that car wants to go fast.
    Oh, well. Her insurance costs more than the Buick because the Avalon
    has a real steel bumper, will do more damage than a Buick styrofoam bumper.

Boolit Master

If for any reason your credit rating dropped your insurance company can raise your rates .
    In 2015 I bought my Silverado I took a short term loan and the next house insurance policy doubled ! They gave me the stupid answer it was because of the truck loan and I pot a third down! I called around and ended up going with Auto Owners I am in Michigan) and bundling everything with a large savings House home two newer cars and inboard 20 foot boat was what old house insurance wanted with the new bill! I forget what they called that insurance company it started as GMAC then got bought sold a few times with the GM collapse under Obama .

Allstate I had Allstate insurance from 1975 until 1986 then they really raised my rates . The reason they gave was my old agent died and the new agent thought i was high risk because of a single speeding ticket for 5 mph over (actual 15 over) on a highway 70 in a 55 zone . Along with the fact I drove 50 miles each way to work.
    I went to Auto Owners for cars only a month later a drunk hit me no injuries but a lot of damage to the car . The cop told me the guy had done the same a month before at the same intersection cuffed him and put him in the police car. My Auto owners insurance company told me I was at fault ! I called my agent told him what happened and gave him name of officer and the drunk driver and he looked into it and my rate did not go up . Turns out the officer was related to the unlicensed drunk and went out of his jurisdiction to the call keeping the county deputies or state police away.
    When we bought this house in 2004 we asked Auto Owners price to insure but as a second home they would not cover it however now we live here full time so we got a good rate .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast