WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does a lube sizer work ?

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    If you have an idea to make something better, find someone who knows something and who you trust and talk it out. There are folks here that can help.

The issue is that I cannot determine what you are trying to do so it is difficult to offer any suggestions/cautions.

If you cannot or will not identify what you are attempting to improve on an open forum, I see two options. If you have local resources, they are the best. I find face to face a better and easier way to "brainstorm". If that is not the case, reach out to someone here or another forum who you trust via PM or email.

If it was me, I would reach out to Mr. Morris who contributes to this forum. He has "been around the block", has years of fabricating/machine experience and has made some amazing stuff.

But before you do that, at least use one of the 450's you have. How can you assume they are lacking if you have never used them? Lube at least 2000 bullets before going down a rabbit hole. It will help you determine what needs to be improved.

Lastly, ignore people like me who have a little bit of knowledge but lots of opinions...LOL. If Edison had listened to people, he would not have invented the light bulb. But like Edison, you made need more than one kick at the cat to get'r done. Expect some trial and error.
    Multi caliber luber sister die that work off of bushings , or collets... what you call it. Don't wanna say what I was exactly because last time I did it got **** down and didn't get the answers I wanted.
    Went about it this way and got a lot more stuff answered and honestly having a hard time seeing how it wouldn't work with the idea I got...to a degree
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Moderator Emeritus

Wolf, Clean the dust off of one of your 450's and mount it to the bench. Spending a few hours with it, and you'll be a lube-sizer expert.
    Regarding bushings for multi-caliber. I surely think it's possible, the biggest pitfall will be aligning lube ports. The older Lyman 45 would be more conducive to a longer die body, if you feel that's needed for your idea.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Wolf, Clean the dust off of one of your 450's and mount it to the bench. Spending a few hours with it, and you'll be a lube-sizer expert.
    Regarding bushings for multi-caliber. I surely think it's possible, the biggest pitfall will be aligning lube ports. The older Lyman 45 would be more conducive to a longer die body, if you feel that's needed for your idea.
    Well first I gotta find the sizing dies I want which hant been easy. .227.226 some I'd ball .30cals..... Also I got another 17 days till I'm back at the house to think. Then lube and the little push top things, and the fact I don't load 100's at a time, just not what I do most of the time .
    Honestly the complete irritation I've had making lists hunting and trying to price all the stuff I need to start lube sizing is the reason this idea is in my head so much
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    I understand the frustration. These days the supply of stuff is not consistent. Sometimes need to search a lot for something we used to order any day of the week. Dies are the tough one, especially if you need an 'odd' size. Nose punches can be found from the mold makers. These can also be modified to a custom fit with a bit of JBWeld. Or, buy one that is close and then use a few bullets to lap out the shape. NOE and Accurate sell nose punches. There is a chart somewhere that shows which punches fit Lee bullets.

For bushings your problem will be reaming/honing the lube section of the die bushing. Needs to be parallel for at least the length of your lube grooves. Then the 'body punch' needs to be fitted to a close tolerance. By the time you get done with all that you'd have more into it than just buying a die. Unless you have a nice lathe, reamers and hones...and know how to use them

Even if you have an extensive home machine shop, making your own sizer dies is sort of like getting a fast food hamburger:

Sure, you could make one at home, but for only a couple bucks- you get instant gratification and don't have to clean up later.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Someone who might have an idea as to the feasibility of this project ... I mean why not a multi - caliber bushing / lube sizer die ... You could have the Bushings in the small increments you want ... Like .355" - .356" - .357" - .358" - .359" - .360"...
    One sizer die with the 6 bushings ...what a great idea ...I wish I had a set like this !

I'm thinking Al "Swede" Nelson , of NOE Bullet Moulds might have some insight...
    They make several different sizers and bushings and ... if anyone had any insight on wether this idea would work ...I would think Al Nelson would be the man to talk to .

I can't believe someone thought this idea wouldn't fly ... with all the bushing sizing dies for cases ... why not a bushing sizing die for boolits !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 10-20-2023 at 05:46 PM. Reason: changed word collet to bushing
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Someone who might have an idea as to the feasibility of this project ... I mean why not a multi - caliber bushing / lube sizer die ... You could have the Bushings in the small increments you want ... Like .355" - .356" - .357" - .358" - .359" - .360"...
    One sizer die with the 6 bushings / collets ...what a great idea ...I wish I had a set like this !

I'm thinking Al "Swede" Nelson , of NOE Bullet Moulds might have some insight...
    They make several different sizers and bushings and collets ... if anyone had any insight on wether this idea would work ...I would think Al Nelson would be the man to talk to .

I can't believe someone thought this idea wouldn't fly ... with all the collet sizing dies for cases ... why not a collet sizing die for boolits !
    Gary
    Collets would be problematic due to the slotting required for a collet to expand or collapse.

Interchangeable bushings are very doable. The question is can it be done cost effectively? verse the standard dies. Reality is the current die system is an interchangeable bushing already.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-19-2023 at 06:56 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    It seems to me that if you made bushings that could be inserted in an outer shell that would interface with the existing Lube Sizer, you are still going to spend a large portion of the cost of the existing dies. A bushing would need to have the precision hole and precision rod insert. Then you have to come up with some wort of fastener to keep the bushing from lifting up out of the out shell, which the existing nut does with the existing dies. I don't see it being cost effective. Buy up the custom sizes that you need over time and keep life simple. Also a lot of what you may read here presented as Gospel isn't always true. For example, using the old standard of sizing cast bullets .001 over nominal groove size works most of the time. Give that a try before you exert too much effort customizing. I seem to recall that you got several sizer dies included with the deal you got on the 2 Lyman Lube Sizers? Use those where they are supposed to work and see the results. You may not need a custom diameter in some cases.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Collets would be problematic due to the slotting required for a collet to expand or collapse.

Interchangeable bushings are very doable. The question is can it be done cost effectively? verse the standard dies. Reality is the current die system is an interchangeable bushing already.
    I used the word "Collet" mistakenly ... what I really meant was "bushings" ... I revised my post .
    And your question is also my question ... can it be done cost effectively ?
    the only person I know who makes sizers and other things is Al Nelson of NOE Bullet Moulds ... He might have an idea on , can it be done and how much would it cost . It would probably be expensive but so are bottle necked rifle carbide sizing dies ...they make and sell those !

I would have loved to have one boolit sizing die with a set of 5 or 6 different bushings in .001" increments .
    Beats having the 5 or 6 dies I have now .
    I think it can be done ... it's the "How Much" I have no clue on .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 10-20-2023 at 06:00 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I used the word "Collet" mistakenly ... what I really meant was "bushings" ... I revised my post .
    And your question is also my question ... can it be done cost effectively ?
    the only person I know who makes sizers and other things is Al Nelson of NOE Bullet Moulds ... He might have an idea on , can it be done and how much would it cost . It would probably be expensive but so are bottle necked rifle carbide sizing dies ...they make and sell those !

I would have loved to have one boolit sizing die with a set of 5 or 6 different bushings in .001" increments .
    Beats having the 5 or 6 dies I have now .
    I think it can be done ... it's the "How Much" I have no clue on .
    Gary
    Carbide rifle bottle neck dies have a very specific application and market. That is for users that are high volume loaders that could wear out a steel die in a couple of weeks.

A bushing style H&I die doesn't really bring much, if any, added value to the current system. I do hope Wolfdog91 does come up with a workable solution but he is facing significant challenges.

First is cost effectiveness. Without seeing a design, it is difficult to quote a job like this. Quoting machining costs are mostly based on volume, machining time, tooling costs and material costs. H&I dies are a very simple design and easy to quote.

Volume would be very low so that will increase costs.

Machining time without a solid design is problematic. What we do know is it would require a die that fits into the space of a norm H&I plus additional bushings that fit into a die with an outside diameter of .700". In essences this die would function the same as the casting on the Lyman sizers while adding significant challenges. Next you would need a smaller version of the standard H&I die with a method to hold it in and toleranced to prevent lube leakage. Same of the ejection pin. How much clearance it can have is somewhat dependent of the lube being used but an ejector pin will leak if used in a die that is .002" larger so chances are you will need one per bushing size same as the current system. Then you need a method to remove the bushing?

Using .460" diameter sizer you only have .120" wall thickness on a standard H&I. The bushing would have to be indexed to the lube holes and due to limited thickness O-rings would not be very workable so tolerances would have to be tight enough to prevent leakage. Can it be do? Yes, but when it's all said and done it's going to be more costly and not nearly as robust as the current designs.

The list goes on and on about additional challenges with no real added value?

The added complexity is a huge challenge to overcome while remaining cost effective and functional. The more I think about it the less feasible it looks.

That being said, I am more than willing to help Wolfdog91 with a design.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-20-2023 at 10:27 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    The H&I die design is a "bushing" design. Just swap the 'bushing' for a new size when you need it.

Any decent machinist can make whatever size you want, or, get a smaller size and have it reamed and honed to the dia you want. A new bottom punch would have to be made to fit (which you would need for replaceable inserts anyway).

PS the reason bushings like NOE makes are so inexpensive is due to the VERY short sizing section and the lack of seal needed since there is no lube involved. Ram punches can also be undersized a lot and still function well.
    Last edited by charlie b; 10-22-2023 at 12:08 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    The H&I die design is a "bushing" design. Just swap the 'bushing' for a new size when you need it.

Any decent machinist can make whatever size you want, or, get a smaller size and have it reamed and honed to the dia you want. A new bottom punch would have to be made to fit (which you would need for replaceable inserts anyway).

PS the reason bushings like NOE makes are so inexpensive is due to the VERY short sizing section and the lack of seal needed since there is no lube involved. Ram punches can also be undersized a lot and still function well.

Good post.

Wolf,
    Years ago I purchased a used small lathe for $750 to do small machining jobs (like making sizer dies). It has been very handy even though I decided not to make dies as I was buying them for less than $25 at the time. It was not worth the effort. But the lathe comes in handy for many other things.

For what you want to do, a small lathe will work. Custom machining in my area is about $100/hr. It will get expensive to try different ideas out.

Even if you cannot get your idea to work, you will have a very useful tool that will serve you for many decades. Most folks here wish they had invested the money in a lathe and the time to learn to use it. You are young enough to derive great benefits from going down that path.

Good luck!
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Even if you were to make all the bushings , how would u get all the lube holes
    To line up from die Body to inserted bushing and keep it there. Hmmm?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I don't know if Jim Flinchbaugh still checks in here, but he was casting lubrisizers a few years ago. He could give you some tips, no doubt. He is on Facebook.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!