RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: SR4759 in .223

SR4759 in .223

I was given an old can of SR4759which I used to produce very accurate loads for my 32-20 revolver. Unfortunately, at 4-500 FPS it would not knock down a standing steel silhouette. Now I am wondering would this work in a different rifle cartridge? I have a Remington 722 chambered in .223 which so far does not like any of the powders that I have tried. With cast 55 gr Bator boolits I tried fast powder, slow powder, heavy and light. Nothing gives me even minute of paper plate at fifty yards. It was always good with jacketed bullets.

Then I read that shooters have successfully used SR4759 in 22 Hornet. Does anyone have experience with this powder in the .223/5.56? I don't have a lot, but I would rather use it to good purpose rather than to make noise and produce "patterns" on target.

Wayne
    Last edited by WRideout; 10-17-2023 at 10:51 PM. Reason: additional info
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master

If your M722 is rechambered from 222 Rem it will have a 14" twist and should do well with cast bullets over 10 - 12 gr of 4759, perhaps a bit more depending on the alloy, GC, lube and quality of the cast bullets. If the rifle was rebarreled you need to measure the twist rate as you didn't mention what load of 4759 you are using as it probably has a faster twist. If using the starting through max loads listed in Lyman's CBH you are pushing your cast bullets too fast and thus "patterns" on target.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Thanks, Larry. The barrel retains the manufacturer's roll stamp of 222 Rem. The rifle was a gift from my stepfather, so I don't know who or how the chamber was recut. Lyman cast bullet Bible is what I have used for load data. It should be easy to work up a load from what you have given me. I suppose I could just use jacketed in that rifle, but where is the fun in that?

I really appreciate not only this answer, but all the good information you have provided on the forum.

Wayne

Boolit Master
    speer load manuals from at least number 12 and prior editions have load data for quite a few calibers using sr4759. unfortunately they seem to have tested 223 in a mini 14 and I';m guessing 4759 would not eject the shell so they didn't include data but they have loads using it in 222 rem. that and my old Lyman books from 60's and 70's is where ive found loads using 4759. I still have a couple old bottles of it on the shelf. I never thought of it as a pistol powder.

Boolit Grand Master

Most 22 cal CFs have fairly shallow grooves, usually less than .003. Thus a "harder" alloy such as #2 or straight linotype allow the best accuracy at higher velocity. Also sizing more than .001 over groove diameter is best. With my 22 cal cast bullets i pretty much use them "as cast" which is usually .226 - .227. I GC and lube them in a .227 H&I die in a Lyman 450. With WQ'd #2 alloyed bullets I can hold 1 1/2" ten shot groups at 100 yards out of my 14" twist 22 cals. I used to do the same out of an original 14" twist 24" barreled 222 Rem M788 that I rechambered to 223 Rem. Unfortunately, I let myself get talked out of it......

SR 4759 is probably a bit too fast burning for best accuracy at 2000+ fps. Probably will be better down in the 1800+/- fps range. A Dacron filler might be advantageous also.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

4759 is too valuable for use in older traditional cartridges to waste it in a .223.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    4759 is too valuable for use in older traditional cartridges to waste it in a .223.
    ditto

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I have a little left. 4227 has replaced it.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    I have in excess of 20 pounds of 4759 and intend to stretch it out through my Golden Years. I've found over 40+ years of messing with it in everything from .22-.40 calibers is that I find it best in the 1400-1800fps velocity range. My experiences with it in .22's mirrors Larry's.

Thanks, everybody. I used a little SR4759 in my 32-20 revolver, and achieved very good accuracy, but the pressure and velocity just weren't there. It would leave powder kernels behind that looked like cream of wheat; I'm guessing the graphite coating burned off the outside, leaving the rest.

Wayne

Boolit Master
    I've shot several hundred 223 55gr cast over SR4759.

I started out with maybe 7 grains, years back. I've shot maybe the last hundred at 10 grains. This is with a soft WW alloy and gas checks, no water dropping. I have never tried to stretch the distance. I believe they're shooting minute-of-golf ball to at least 60 yards. Not sure my twist rates.

If you want higher velocity with water dropping or PC, there's plenty more room in the case. I'm not even sure where it would top out, using soft bullets. 10 is just as high as I've gone so far.