Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handgun hunting for whitetail: Help with bullet choice

Boolit Mold

Handgun hunting for whitetail: Help with bullet choice

I have never used cast bullets when hunting. We have deer and hogs in my area. I’ll be using a Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8” in .41 magnum.

My main deer load is a powder coated 213 gr LHP over 8 grs of Unique. I got this bullet from a friend and it is cast to work at the velocity of my load.

The load I’m curious about is a Rim Rock 240 gr Keith style LSWC over 8 grs of Unique. Is this bullet “good enough” or would I be better off with a WFN?

Thanks!

Boolit Bub
    I use a 6 1/2 Blackhawk in .41 mag with a Carroll 215 swc 10gr Unique. It works well, makes a nice entrance and exit hole, Ive never recovered one. That load will lead my barrel after a while but its accuracy in my gun is great until it leads up (about 50 rounds so) so I stick with it, I just bought some molds here on CB that are heavier but I haven't gotten around to casting and shooting any yet (to busy hunting)

Boolit Master
    That Keith style boo lit should work just fine on deer or black bear. You didn't mention what ranges you might be shooting but a terminal velocity 900 fps will be more than adequate for deer from my experience with a 6" barrel Blackhawk 41.

"Keith" style SWC & WFN bullets have both been proven to work well in revolvers.
    It somewhat depends on what you would like to use, and what shoots better in your gun.

A WFN, having a large meplat for diameter, functions best (stability at extended range and cavitation at impact) when driven at high speeds.

The "Keith" SWC has a smaller meplat for diameter than WFN and will stabilize well at a somewhat lower velocity.
    Having a smaller meplat, the cavitation will not be so great, but the bullet should be expected to drive through vitals to give good performance.

Check you velocities achieved (it looks like you should be around 1,000 fps) and go give either a try.

Boolit Buddy
    I dont think it makes any difference between the two. I go with whatever my guns like best. 44 Mag gets either a Keith slug or the RCBS-44-240 swc.
    .475 Linebaugh and the 10mm get WFN.
    I recovered this 180gr 10 mm slug last week. I cast it of range scrap, powdercoat it and drive it hard. I have used nothing but wheel weights in the revolvers. This recovered slug from the Glock has me rethinking that. Dropped a sow in her tracks.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

By punching a well placed .41 inch dia. hole deep inside it----Either one will kill a deer just as dead as the other.
    I've always felt the deeper the penetration- the better.
    So for me, I'd pump 'em up a little closer to the max. of published data for hunting though.

Between the two, accuracy, penetration, and shot placement is the key to their success more so
    than splitting hairs and over thinking which one is best or 'good enough'.

But hey,,,, that's just me & my opinion.
    I'd very much encourage doing your own testing and research.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    By punching a well placed .41 inch dia. hole deep inside it----Either one will kill a deer just as dead as the other.
    I've always felt the deeper the penetration- the better.
    So for me, I'd pump 'em up a little closer to the max. of published data for hunting though.

Between the two, accuracy, penetration, and shot placement is the key to their success more so
    than splitting hairs and over thinking which one is best or 'good enough'.
    I agree with the splitting hairs. I've used primarily handguns for deer and hogs for 20 years.

I disagree with pumping up velocity though. A pass through is a pass through. You get zero hydrostatic shock with a handgun, so I dont feel that pedal to the medal loads do anything more than shoot a little flatter and beat the hell out of the firearm/shooter.
    With that said, I do find that the biggest diameter that you can handle does in fact make a difference. That Linebaugh loaded down to 1050-1100 fps flattens anything. Quick, fast and in a hurry. Just my 2 cents. Obviously, other have their own experiences and opinions.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Banner Sponsor

I used a 480 Ruger with 365gn lead hp at 1250fps last year for whitetail and hogs.
    The deer was shot broadside and had chunks of lung sprayed 15' down the lane. It ran for about 2 seconds and piled up.
    I used the same load on some hogs, shot 2 with one shot. The bullet ended up in the offside shoulder of the second hog.
    I think that either 41 bullet should work well.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    That Keith style boo lit should work just fine on deer or black bear. You didn't mention what ranges you might be shooting but a terminal velocity 900 fps will be more than adequate for deer from my experience with a 6" barrel Blackhawk 41.
    I’ll be staying under 50 yards.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks so much for the information!!

Do y’all prefer a behind the shoulder shot or shoulder shot when broadside?

Boolit Buddy
    With handguns, I only shoot cast and I want to hit bone.

I'm more of a behind the shoulder guy.
    Look at one of their anatomy pictures. On deer, the heart is somewhat lower than most people think it is.
    Behind the shoulder in 'the boiler room' takes out both lungs and the heart.
    With both jacketed and cast in .30 cal. at 1-200 yards-
    It has saved me from having to track one for more than about 10 feet.

Where I used to hunt, there were so many deer, there was no reason to take a poor shot.
    If I didn't feel I had a good shot, I'd let it walk on by. Another would usually come by pretty soon anyway.

The only deer I ever shot with a handgun was with a 1911 in .45ACP.
    The deer was eating some corn I spilled outside the blind, and woke me up pawing on the side of the blind.
    I shot out the window straight down about two feet hitting it in the head.
    Not very sporting, but it was the only one I saw that trip and sunset was a few minutes away on my last day.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-18-2023 at 01:29 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by LOBO View Post
    Thanks so much for the information!!

Do y’all prefer a behind the shoulder shot or shoulder shot when broadside?
    I have shot about 30 deer w/ 44 & 475, 3-4 w/ TC Contender in 35 Rem, one TC Encore in 30-06, and another 15 or so w/ a variety of rifles from 7 mm to 416.
    Jacketed and cast.
    Both bullet types act same for me, they all penetrate (w/ a couple exceptions on the 35 Rem). (Admittedly, I use heavy for caliber jacketed, except on the 35 Rem where I have switched to a cast.)

No matter what I take the shot presented to put a bullet through the heart & lungs.
    In a rib, out a rib, in a leg and out a rib, in the neck/shoulder junction and out the opposite hind quarter, in the center chest and out the... You probably get the point.
    I don't care jacketed or cast. They all do for me, whether sitting on the ground or 10 ft up in an elevated blind looking down a hill. I just don't really care what's in the gun - I care about line of sight penetration.

I only had a few deer stop bullets, and those were jacketed (44 Cal 270 GD & 300 XTP, 30-06 180 SP, 35 Rem 180 SSP, are what comes to mind). No really a surprise: jacketed are designed to expand (limits penetration) and higher speed also limits penetration.

Shoot the deer in best manner possible to kill it. Your 41 should do fine.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks all!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    I have shot about 30 deer w/ 44 & 475, 3-4 w/ TC Contender in 35 Rem, one TC Encore in 30-06, and another 15 or so w/ a variety of rifles from 7 mm to 416.
    Jacketed and cast.
    Both bullet types act same for me, they all penetrate (w/ a couple exceptions on the 35 Rem). (Admittedly, I use heavy for caliber jacketed, except on the 35 Rem where I have switched to a cast.)

No matter what I take the shot presented to put a bullet through the heart & lungs.
    In a rib, out a rib, in a leg and out a rib, in the neck/shoulder junction and out the opposite hind quarter, in the center chest and out the... You probably get the point.
    I don't care jacketed or cast. They all do for me, whether sitting on the ground or 10 ft up in an elevated blind looking down a hill. I just don't really care what's in the gun - I care about line of sight penetration.

I only had a few deer stop bullets, and those were jacketed (44 Cal 270 GD & 300 XTP, 30-06 180 SP, 35 Rem 180 SSP, are what comes to mind). No really a surprise: jacketed are designed to expand (limits penetration) and higher speed also limits penetration.

Shoot the deer in best manner possible to kill it. Your 41 should do fine.
    That bullet is well regarded and typically kills well. The fact that it did not exit is understandable because they expand well. I used to use them before switching to the RCBS 35-200FN.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    That bullet is well regarded and typically kills well. The fact that it did not exit is understandable because they expand well. I used to use them before switching to the RCBS 35-200FN.
    The problem was: the 180 SSP in the 35 Rem out of my TC Contender (2000 fps muzzle) literally came apart on the front leg bone of a 125 lb Whitetail going in. Destroyed a chunk of bone, and produced a Nasty wound just behind the leg, nothing quickly fatal.
    Exiting wasn't my concern, an actual Entry that reached the vitals was and that bullet didn't do it. I had to follow up on the deer hours later.

I prefer to shoot them however they are presented, and just have them collapse in < 50 yds. Less than 50 ft is better, and the loads that produce that every time are the things I gravitate to for use.

I have put together a good load for the 35 Rem w/ an Accurate 205B for use since that 180 SSP failure.

Vendor Sponsor

Hunt with the most accurate boolit between the two you mentioned. I wouldn't worry about expansion, either one will take deer, not likely to recover either boolit, the most important thing is shot placement.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    WFN behind the shoulder unless it’s quartering away then shoot through the offside shoulder. I have fantastic performance from WFN cast bullets they do some good terminal damage moderate to high velocity but accuracy first.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by LOBO View Post
    I have never used cast bullets when hunting. We have deer and hogs in my area. I’ll be using a Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8” in .41 magnum.

My main deer load is a powder coated 213 gr LHP over 8 grs of Unique. I got this bullet from a friend and it is cast to work at the velocity of my load.

The load I’m curious about is a Rim Rock 240 gr Keith style LSWC over 8 grs of Unique. Is this bullet “good enough” or would I be better off with a WFN?

Thanks!
    I am familiar witht the rimrock and it will work. I am sure the 213gr would work too. choose the most accurate as others have said and make sure you can place the shot where it needs to be. I have shot many deer with both cast and Jacketed. But always I try for a double shoulder shot. I don't want them running too far. Break Bones they don't run. Look on Youtube for a high shoulder shot. It is a type of spine shot. With it you have to be accurate or you will mess up. Like miss or hit No Man's land and just go through some meat and NO bones. I did that once with my 45 cal Blackhawk. I had been killing deer with it and the 335gr cast traveling 1200fps was more than enough. If,,, I would have been a little more careful. No excuses ! The deer walked off and I guess it thought it was hidden behind a tree. Not so. My second shot took it down right there. Good luck and I hope you have your deer by the time this late post is read.

Don’t over think this. Deer are not that hard to kill. Cast or jacketed will do the trick, if you put the bullet where it’s supposed to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast