Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lyman 358432 load data, pet recipes

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 358432 load data, pet recipes

Hello,

I have just snagged a single cavity Lyman 358432 160 grain Wadcutter mold. I have a 3 inch GP-100 in .38 Special Only, that I intend to craft some target loads for. My powder selection is kinda limited and I would not rather dip into my Unique stash if I don’t have to as it is already being used for other loads.

I have W231, W244, W572, Green Dot and Red Dot on hand.

Any pet loads with the 160 grain bullet with any of the above powders would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Divil

The 358432 weighs only two grains different than a standard 158 grain semi-wadcutter boolit. The 358432 loads to the same OAL as a 158 semi-wadcutter when crimped in the crimp groove. You can safely use any data for 158 grain semi-wadcutter boolits when loaded in this manner. There is no need to crimp it short.
    If you need proof, stand a 358432 and any standard 158 grain semi-wadcutter on their bases, side by side and compare the locations of the crimp grooves. They will be nearly identical.

In my experience, the 358432 is an excellent boolit for target use. It performs extremely well in all my revolvers. It will also serve well as a self defense load when loaded to full potential.
    Just use any load data available for 158 grain semi-wadcutter boolits and enjoy.

Boolit Master
    The good thing is you can seat it flush with the nose out and use less powder. I used Bullseye but 231 would be my choice. I worked up a 38 special load with 231 in my model 681 6'' until it started leading at 4.2 and backed off to 3.5 grains crimping on the first band. <nose is out 1/4''or so.> When I work up a pistol load it needs to bench 10 shots under 2'' at 25 yards to put in the book. You can turn it around and seat flush like a dewc also and it does good.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 10-16-2023 at 01:07 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    3.9 grains of 231 oal ~1.395 = great shooting 38 Special load. This virtually duplicates factory 158 grain ballistics and will shoot to the same POI.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks gents. I fully intend to seat the wadcutter out like a type III wadcutter. I will try the 3.9 grains of W231 first and see how it does. I am probably a month or away from testing this load since I am still gathering components and my Lee 420 just kicked the bucket.

Boolit Buddy

Initial results with my 3 inch GP-100 .38 were very promising. Top accuracy was with 3.6 grains of W231. Also 3.8 grains of W244 did well. All shooting was DA fire at 7 yards and if I did my part all rounds were in a 2 inch group. I will test both of these charges again for accuracy before I load in quantity. This boolit seems like a winner.

Boolit Buddy
    It's the only wadcutter I have found that you can push it fast and accuracy does not suffer . I routinely load it in mid range 357 loads with extremely good results . So for your 38 special loads , enjoy you have a great mold . Regards Paul

My favorite WC mould in 38sp. I'd say the 3.9g of 231 should be just about perfect. This is PB @4 grains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20231114-204700_Gallery.jpg  

Boolit Buddy

Thanks Paul.

Nice group Shopdog.

At 7 yards my 1 group with 3.6 grains of W231 was similar looking.