RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Estes Energetics Restarts Shipment of GOEX Black Powder

Estes Energetics Restarts Shipment of GOEX Black Powder

Many have been waiting for this. Has anyone seen it available retail yet, or are the first shipments going to defense contractors for military munitions? If anyone has gotten any, how does it compare with the old GOEX?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/estes...110000581.html
    Last edited by muskeg13; 10-15-2023 at 08:28 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The NMLRA in Friendship got a shipment in Sept. Users report that it is exactly the same as the previous stuff. The N-SSA got a shipment for the National match last week. Much of it was sold but all the powder shot at the match was previously purchased so no new results from that crowd.

Thanks Deadeye. With a little more searching, I ran across this posting on another website, that includes a VERY informative video that answers my questions. The news is good.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/t...uction.165006/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TZBLR7qM4s&t=183s

Yay! Now gimme caps!

Boolit Master

Maybe this is a good sign.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

So is it primarily a sportsman’s company. Why does he need the American gov. When he has us? That’s too big. Where is America getting their bp now?

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    One thing that people overlook or don't realize, Estes is the model rocket and other rocket motor go to company, they used Goex powders, so it only stands to reason that in an effort to keep the rocket motor company in business they bought the powder mill. Not to likely they would change any of the recipes because that would mess things up badly in the rocket motors.
    The side benefit and the source of enough cash flow to keep the powder mill afloat is by law the military has to use American made blackpowder for their uses..
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    there is nothing quite like a government or military contract to keep a business in the black. good for them as long as they are on the up and up and supply those contracts with quality American made goods that perform as they are designed to. back in the day after sputnik went overhead and the race to the moon every kid on the block had Estes rockets. glad to see they are still in business.

Not every kid, I made rockets with rolled paper tubes and Elmers's glue but couldn't afford too many of the little engines.
    I made elaborate little space capsules for the Box Elder bug astronauts, but it was a rare occasion they got to go on a mission.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Not every kid, I made rockets with rolled paper tubes and Elmers's glue but couldn't afford too many of the little engines.
    I made elaborate little space capsules for the Box Elder bug astronauts, but it was a rare occasion they got to go on a mission.
    Yea we tried to make our own black with some stolen panty hose and some nitrate and sulfur from the drug store, Did not work so well! But we had fun with the high expectations! We told the pharmacist it for our mom! He did not by it but sold it to us anyway.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Quote Originally Posted by Gobeyond View Post
    So is it primarily a sportsman’s company. Why does he need the American gov. When he has us? That’s too big. Where is America getting their bp now?
    No. From their website: Estes Energetics, along with its subsidiary Goex Industries, is an American manufacturer of black powder, chemicals, and rocket motors. Our agile and experienced team is proud to make products that support the Department of Defense, strengthen domestic production, preserve history, serve hunting and shooting sports enthusiasts, and ignite a passion for rocketry in our youth. Whether we’re performing research into energetic materials and products, or standing up American-made production, count on us to find a solution.

Boost motors for rocket-launched aircraft
    Tactical missiles and rockets
    High temperature materials
    Aircraft recovery systems
    Black powder
    Metal nitrates

The GOEX Division is now primarily a U.S. Defense Contractor set up with DoD support to provide a secure domestic source of high quality black powder that is still a critical component in many modern munitions, particularly in fuzes (for artillery and grenades) and ignition systems (artillery, tank and rocket propellant initiation). Estes-GOEX has enough capacity to first meet its government obligations and then produce BP for commercial and sporting markets.

"We" are just a small part of the total US market. If it had made business sense to operate without US Government support, original GOEX and then Hodgdon would have kept the business going themselves. When the sole US BP manufacturer pulled the plug, DoD was put in a bind because you don't want to rely on imported BP with the safety, reliability, security and assured availability issues.
    Last edited by muskeg13; 10-17-2023 at 06:51 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    If it were not for ammonia based propellants needing bp igniter charges, I doubt bp would be manufactured by anyone on the planet. Sporting use is a tiny fraction of consumption.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drydock View Post
    If it were not for ammonia based propellants needing bp igniter charges, I doubt bp would be manufactured by anyone on the planet. Sporting use is a tiny fraction of consumption.
    Correction, Not "I doubt bp would be manufactured by anyone" should be "I doubt bp would be sold by anyone" a bunch of us would still be manufacturing BP for our own use.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

How does Swiss and Schuetzen stay viable companies if Goex is such a insignificant player even with Gov. contracts ?

Boolit Buddy
    They all have government contracts. Just with different governments.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Correction, Not "I doubt bp would be manufactured by anyone" should be "I doubt bp would be sold by anyone" a bunch of us would still be manufacturing BP for our own use.

Tim
    Well put Sir
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Vendor Sponsor

At the way hot wars are popping up, GOEX may have to expand the powder plant. Sad!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    Yea we tried to make our own black with some stolen panty hose and some nitrate and sulfur from the drug store, Did not work so well! But we had fun with the high expectations! We told the pharmacist it for our mom! He did not by it but sold it to us anyway.
    The druggist wouldn't sell it to us but there was an older lady and when she was on the register she didn't know what it was and we could get the Saltpeter.
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Mold
    Does this mean prices wil come down?

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    With the inflation in the economy prices coming down aren't likely.
    Powder Inc shows Goex in stock for just short of 24$ lb in case lots.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast