Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SOLVED Lee-menting New Cast Iron 4 Hole Classic Press

Vendor Sponsor

One more update, and perhaps the KEY player in how smooth and how well this new press will work. Got these from an ebayer, after returning the really awfully machined turrets to Graf&Sons, these arrived, this is what Lee Precision SHOULD be about, but sometimes isn't.

Attachment 319059
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Them are pretty! Just what they should look like. A touch of lube and you’re off to the races!

Sam Sackett

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sackett View Post
    Them are pretty! Just what they should look like. A touch of lube and you’re off to the races!

Sam Sackett
    Yeah but I didn't have to lube the turret, they were real smooth. The part I did have to lube was the linkage at the bottom, one side has a bellville washer behind the nut, and that thing was making a noise that would have called the turkeys! Not kidding! I finally isolated the part that was causing the squawking noise, lubed that washer with krytox, and now it's really quiet and smooth.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    One more update, and perhaps the KEY player in how smooth and how well this new press will work. Got these from an ebayer, after returning the really awfully machined turrets to Graf&Sons, these arrived, this is what Lee Precision SHOULD be about, but sometimes isn't.

Attachment 319059
    Are these used or new?
    and if new, did the ebay seller polish them up? or are they as they came from Lee?
    just curious.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Maybe you should tell Lee that square nuts are available at their local hardware store.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Are these used or new?
    and if new, did the ebay seller polish them up? or are they as they came from Lee?
    just curious.
    They are as issued. Maybe Lee dumped off some of the lesser quality items to their distributors. The one turret that did come from Lee in the box with my press isn't anywhere near as smooth and perfect as the ones I showed in the photo. I got two more from the same seller, just like the first two.

Quote Originally Posted by nvbirdman View Post
    Maybe you should tell Lee that square nuts are available at their local hardware store.
    The customer service lady I spoke with at Lee said the plastic nuts have been used for many years so it's not a recent change. And there are lots of users here on this forum that have the same press with the plastic nut, and no issues. Once you put quality parts together, and they work smoothly, the plastic nut is not an issue.

If you got a rough turret or anything that adds resistance or friction to rotating the turret, the plastic nut will soon begin to turn causing the press to lose index. My "fix" with the hardware store square nut just removes a possible point of failure.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 10-22-2023 at 09:21 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12