Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: pluggedd nipple

pluggedd nipple

Hey Guys. I got this used 32 tradition crockett and it keeps plugging up the nipple to the point where its not much fun to shoot. Today was the first time out with it and using home made caps. I was worried that i wanst going to be able to to get the ball out so once i did i left it alone for the day and went to my 54 cal and never had a problem with the same caps not sure whats up. I want to like this rifle so i would like to know if any one has his problem. What shots i was able to take with 20 gr 3f shot real nice. I want to like this rifle, it came with a wood ramrod and not a aluminum one which i thought was weird but mabe its an older gun that came with it or the previous owner changed it out dont know. I shot my flint lock 32 for a hour after and didn't have any problems so i know its not my home made powder. May be my priming compound isn't fine enough and it can cause a blockage.
    Last edited by lead chucker; 10-14-2023 at 03:26 AM. Reason: not right
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

I’m sure your homemade caps are not the problem. Have you replaced the nipple? A “hot shot” nipple might help. Is the fouling in the nipple or is the build up in the drum? My .50 with a green Mountain barrel has the tendency to get buildup under the nipple. But that’s after a fair bit of shooting.

Do you have a bore scope to inspect the breach? I had found at one time there was a build up of residue there that it looked like it needed a angioplasty. More through cleaning was needed. Had no idea I was not cleaning well enough. Here is a before and after pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BB39D200-A39F-4A35-9542-C98610144622.jpg   B522E0D0-CD91-4482-8EE5-4F9B5BA0E3F5.jpg  
    Last edited by Rockingkj; 10-14-2023 at 03:55 AM.

Still learning this rifle, cleaned it good so i will keep trying to see what works. dont have a bore scope.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    Still learning this rifle, cleaned it good so i will keep trying to see what works. dont have a bore scope.
    heres a couple of things I have picked up over the years - part of my loading process
    1) never ever run a patch down the bore after you fire a shot and before you drop the powder
    2) powder is down bore - with the muzzle vertical - give ol betsy several sharp slaps on the side near the lock to settle the powder down into that patent breech
    3) use a damp patch on the ball (20% cutting oil lube) - never need to clean between shots - you are always shooting a clean bore

Hello lead chucker,

I've been shooting .32 calibers for years, there is a slight learning curve but not so much as to have the issues your having.
    You didn't state what powder your using, I've been shooting Triple Seven in 3F with no issues.
    I have to ask, Is it really the nipple that's getting clogged? If you swap the nipple does it fire?
    I'd like to see the nipple when clogged.
    It's tough to trouble shoot when not at the range with you.

AntiqueSled Man.

Boolit Grand Master

Have you pulled the drum to see it's condition? Look at the complete firing channel before you assume it's the nipple.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I suspect a patent breech as the problem.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    My Philadelphia Derringer was not firing.
    I switched the nipple out with the nipple on my Crockett Rifle.
    Then it fired.
    But then the Crockett misfired several times.
    That nipple got replaced and the problem was gone.

Boolit Master

I replaced the nipple on my CVA Squirrel rifle after I had a few failures to fire with commercial caps. The factory nipple was extremely tapered and gave little contact surface for the cap.

Similar difficulty with one of my Pietta revolvers when using my home made caps. I tried improving the caps by using Duco Cement/Acetone for a sealer and that helped, but still an occasional cap failed to fire and of course some priming compound would get forced up into the nipple. Replaced the nipples with Slix Shot nipples and problem is fixed. Slix Shot nipples fit my home made caps much better anyway.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    On lots of used rifles that I had bought.
    They had the nipples mushroomed over a little bit from people looking at the rifle before , and dry firing it.
    Those didn't pop the primer cap when fired.
    Some popped the cap , but the hole in the nipple was too small because the nipple was flared into the hole.
    Most of those nipples were saved by just putting them in a drill motor and use a file to reshape the tip of the nipple.
    To prevent messing up the nipple threads when chucking it in a drill motor.
    I put a a Rod coupling in the drill chuck that had the same thread as the nipple being fixed.
    The rusted nipples that I came across , I just soaked them in Vinegar to break up the rust.
    I can clean the hole thru the nipple with a sewing needle or my nipple pick that I made from the correct size needle or straight pin.

Boolit Grand Master
    Everything LAGS said plus, in the welder's supply area of your local hardware store, they sell welder's needle files (used to clean torch tips). They come in a little foldable gizmo and are of different sizes. Best thing I've found to clean the touch hole / nipple hole. Try and clean out the drum and inside of your nipple. If the nipple has been peaned over, that has to be filed out straight again, too.

Boolit Master
    Thanks 725.
    I never thought about using my welding tip cleaner to clean out our nipples.
    I will have to see where mine is out in the shop.

Boolit Buddy
    Tip cleaners will break, the proper sized paper clip won't. But it may bend enough to drive you nuts. A drill bit that fits the inside of the nipple will help with the cleaning as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiqueSledMan View Post
    Hello lead chucker,

I've been shooting .32 calibers for years, there is a slight learning curve but not so much as to have the issues your having.
    You didn't state what powder your using, I've been shooting Triple Seven in 3F with no issues.
    I have to ask, Is it really the nipple that's getting clogged? If you swap the nipple does it fire?
    I'd like to see the nipple when clogged.
    It's tough to trouble shoot when not at the range with you.

AntiqueSled Man.
    Yes the nipple is getting plugged thats for sure.

Boolit Master

Have you tried a new nipple?
    Older powder measures had a nipple pick in the bottom I do not thing new powder measures do? I have used welding tip cleaner in the past but they are hard and brittle and can break . Harbor freight has cheap wire size drills too you might look at .
    If I remember correctly the .32 does build a lot of pressure but has shorter barrel time do your caps ever blow off the nipple? They really should not however that pressure does keep the flash channel clean . Maybe try a bit more powder?
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Yes the nipple is getting plugged thats for sure.
    Hello lead chucker,
    Okay, the nipple is plugged. Which end is plugged? How about a picture.
    You didn't answer the second part of my question, does it fire if you swap nipple?

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiqueSledMan View Post
    Hello lead chucker,
    Okay, the nipple is plugged. Which end is plugged? How about a picture.
    You didn't answer the second part of my question, does it fire if you swap nipple?

AntiqueSledMan.
    back to square one
    the nipple is plugged?
    1) does the cap fire and the powder does not light up ?? if yes then the problem is internal - a blockage in the powder channel someplace from nipple tip inwards
    or
    2) does the cap not fire ? if its yes to that that then the problem is external - dodgy caps or a mis shapen nipple - or a spent cap jammed in the hammer or a weak spring or ................

Sorry i haven't gotten back on this. I did put a new nipple in and have tried giving the gun a few extra taps to settle the powder in the patented breech and that seemed to help a lot. I also cleaned out the drum best i could in case there was build up in there from the last guy who had it. It seems to be behaving better now. Now i have to file the front sight a little it shoots a little low at 25 yards.

Boolit Master
    Sorry i haven't gotten back on this. I did put a new nipple in and have tried giving the gun a few extra taps to settle the powder in the patented breech and that seemed to help a lot. I also cleaned out the drum best i could in case there was build up in there from the last guy who had it. It seems to be behaving better now. Now i have to file the front sight a little it shoots a little low at 25 yards.
    I was you - that whack around the chops (several times) should become part of your loading procedure (with any front loader maybe)

I have a rubber mat that i take to the range and always give the gun a few taps on it and then slap the side a few times and that does it most times its something i always do. This Crocket rifle with using only 20 gr i think takes a few extra taps to settle the powder down in there. Going to take it out tomorrow and play with it some more. The snow shoe hairs here are white now and there isn't any snow so i might see if i can get one with it. My wife makes a really good Bunnie pot pie.