MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TC Bore Butter

TC Bore Butter

Tonight i was cutting up an old cotton bed sheet for cleaning patches. I went out to test the size in my 50 and 54 and when i ran them down the barrel they came out looking rusty colored. The TC Bore Butter is supposed to protect the metal according to what it says on the tube. Any one had this experience with this stuff. Once you clean and dry your gun what do you guys use to oil the barrel? I try to stay away from the petroleum based oil.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the TC as well, but I was getting some light surface rust in my Knight in-line .45. This last go round I put a patch of Hoppes in it. Maybe I didn't get a good coating of the bore butter.

Jojoba oil or Ballistol. I’ve used Bore Butter with the same rusty results you got. Also, a patch with either jojoba oil or Ballistol on you wooden stock or exposed metal parts is a good finish to your cleaning routine. Both also are good lubes but the edge goes to jojoba with better heat resistance and oxidation resistance
    Doesn’t dry out to leave things gummed up after time
    Last edited by Castaway; 10-13-2023 at 06:32 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    Tonight i was cutting up an old cotton bed sheet for cleaning patches. I went out to test the size in my 50 and 54 and when i ran them down the barrel they came out looking rusty colored. The TC Bore Butter is supposed to protect the metal according to what it says on the tube. Any one had this experience with this stuff. Once you clean and dry your gun what do you guys use to oil the barrel? I try to stay away from the petroleum based oil.
    It 's junk , use Balistol /Ed

I also switched to Ballistol but when I used Bore butter I heated up the barrel with a heat gun to allow it to melt. Never had a problem when well coated like that.

Boolit Master
    I'm a once-a-year muzzle loader shooter as I only use mine during the 2 week TN special deer season so I don't have a great deal of experience with this however I have used TC Bore Butter exclusively since 2002. I use a bore brush, then pour boiling water through the barrel followed by a patch or two smeared with Bore Butter and the next year when I get it out, it looks like a new gun still. Maybe it's the heat that makes it work.

Boolit Buddy
    Mean Green to clean; Break Free to preserve. No rust.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've abandoned bore butter as a preservative, too. Not only do I shoot my own ML's, but I teach ML'ing at a boy's & girls camp here in Maryland. I shoot hundreds of rounds a year and, although it goes against the normal advice, I clean the rifles with some water based cleaner (windex is usually the easiest/cheapest) and follow it up with a synthetic motor oil. I'm never satisfied with a single cleaning, either. I clean it really good and then in a couple days, I clean it again. The second cleaning skips the water based solvents. 20 years of some hard use on the camp rifles and the bores look like new guns! The outside - not so much.

One thing not mentioned is the powder used. Black powder is the easiest to clean with water, preferably hot, but cold will do the same job with a couple extra patches. At the risk of causing the internet to melt, Pyrodex is the absolute hardest to clean up afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    I also switched to Ballistol but when I used Bore butter I heated up the barrel with a heat gun to allow it to melt. Never had a problem when well coated like that.
    This......

FWIW, I've used the maker's recommended treatrment for BB in all my muzzleloaders ever since it was first introduced (1980's) w/o any issues.

The brownish color is the BB oxidizing, since (when cleaned just before hunting) the bores still look spanky-new after all these years.

Further, I use the last BB application patch on the exterior of all the metal parts (except the nipple), with zero rusting appearing anywhere on my guns.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I also like to run a patch a few days after cleaning just in case. Never totally relied on bore butter as a rust preventive. Longer term some WD40 on a patch after cleaning and periodic inspection seems to keep rust away.

Boolit Master
    Quit bore butter; WD-40 gets gummy when it dries; I clean with water / Windex; then hoppies#9; then rem oil; dry patch; then rem oil again; couple Dry patches again when I take out of storage; then one fired primer to make Shure nipple is dry; before loading again;

As far as BB oxidizing to a reddish color, I never noticed a change in color when I grabbed the tube of it a year later, it was just greasy on the outside. If it was oxidizing, I wouldn’t want it in my barrel if it’s that reactive

Boolit Buddy
    I've got some rust showing in my muzzle loader barrel as well. However, I haven't fired it in around 8 years, and it's just been sitting in storage. I was living in the desert when I was hunting with it, and I've been living in much humider areas in those last 8 years.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    It 's junk , use Balistol /Ed
    Yup, what he said.

Super Moderator

I don't use BB for rust protection. I do use it for patch lube and conical lube. I always clean my ML bores with warm water (never boiling) and dish soap and water. I religiously clean my rifles after shooting them, then completely dry any remaining water, and coat the bore with Rem Oil. I will come back after a week or so and wipe the bore again, and re-coat it with the Rem Oil. This has worked for me for decades, and I have never got any rust in the bores. The purists will sneer at BB, but I believe that it does has it's uses. Rust protection, not so much IMHO.

Clean my 45 cal. T/C Hawken flint barrel with hot soapy water. A rod, with slot & patch pulls Hot soapy water up & down the barrel. Then clean HOT water. Remove flash hole first.

After it dries, Break free CLP for storage.

Next firing, 50 grs 3F dumped down the barrel. No patch, ball or slug. Fired. Brush with a bronze brush 5 times or more.

Load for real. Fire. 1st shot on target at 100 yards.

Thanks for all the reply's. I will try the Ballistol If i can find it. sounds like it is a good lube also.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    Clean with water - NEVER hot water - unless you want to generate red rust in there in about twenty seconds
    Dry bore with flannellette patches
    One patch wet with WD40
    put it away job done
    if you gonna leave it more than a month run an oily patch downbore to preserve
    next time ya shoot dry patch the bore and blow out the nipple and powder channel with aircompressor

Boolit Master

I had rust probs in the '90's with BB for rust preventative/storage. I was using Pyrodex then, I liked it and it shot well for me. I agree with castaway, although it doesn't cause as much fouling as real black, what it leaves is much harder to get out with soap and water. I went to Ballistol for rust prevention haven't had any more problems with rust. It's a water soluble oil, I think it would mix with any small amt of water left in the barrel inadvertently and protect until the water is gone. It's also good for wood, leather, dandriff etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast