MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone found a replacement for Merrell hiking shoes?

A side note ..Danners are great boots and we wore them in the airborne units ..only problem was always under sized and always narrow so every time I got new I had to soak then in Neets foot oil and wear them until dry and fitted ..you dang sure did the break-in and fitting on leave !
    Bear

Boolit Master
    I like my Keens too.

I also wore Merrill’s for years. Mostly gave up on them when three successive GorTex waterproof pairs all wet through on day one. They still are OK in dry conditions on gravel where I want something relatively light and that works for action pistol sports on gravel.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenbear View Post
    A side note ..Danners are great boots and we wore them in the airborne units ..only problem was always under sized and always narrow so every time I got new I had to soak then in Neets foot oil and wear them until dry and fitted ..you dang sure did the break-in and fitting on leave !
    Bear
    Sorry that you had to go through that! The Danner site recommended ordering a half size larger for minimal break in time. We decided to do that for my wife's boots, because of the orthotics. It worked out really good for us. I have a pair of the Mountain Light II boots and they have been a fantastic boot, although quite pricey. Made in the good ol' US of A though. Thanks for your service Sir.

I buy Danner with Danner-Dry 365 day waterproof guarantee. Pay with cash, keep the box and receipt, wear these exclusively and test for leaks before the time runs out. They always failed, some in less than 4 months. Then return to the retailer for a full refund. I rotate between 3 local retailers to fly below the radar. The boots are not leather and are pretty comfy. Never failed to get money back although one retailer had their own 60 day return policy that I had to argue with the manager, showing him that Danner's policy was to return to the retailer.

Boolit Master
    Asolo boots. Very stiff but great support. Keens break down too quickly for me. I wear the Asolo year round.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty Boolit View Post
    I Used to buy keen but the last pair I bought about 2 years ago felt really light and the outsoles seemed to be made of a material similar to Crocs. They came apart way to soon so I don't think I'll buy them again. I actually bought the Merrell Moab instead of the keen. I'm really not that satisfied with them either but I'll wear them out regardless.
    I bought a pair on Amazon and the soles came off in about a year although the tops looked new. Took a picture, sent it to keen and they sent me a new pair with a free pair of socks. Those ran fine for a few years. Bought another pair on Amazon and the soles came off those too. Called Keen and told her the problem
    She said that often the shoes on Amazon are either discontinued or several years old and the glue gets weak from storage. Make sure to buy Keens from the Keen store online or an authorized retailer. She also sent me a new pair anyways.
    I used Shoe Goo to fix the soles and got almost a year out of them
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Got these at Red Wing:

https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/me...ite-01221.html

Look heavy and stiff but are light and flexible. Good traction on the roof. Waterproof and lined to wick moisture away. Wear them to cross the pasture heavy with dew and ride the bikes. All day comfortable. My only complaints are sometimes the tread picks up a small stick or gravel and flips it in the top of the other boot. Happens about twice a year. Made in Vietnam. My truck tires are made there too. Stitching looked questionable but has stood for 3 years. Triple stitched where it matters. They can be resoled but it costs as much a new pair. I'm about due for some new foot pads inside.Tread shows no tear or wear. Squeaks on the polished floor at the PO. I'll buy them again when I get there.

Boolit Grand Master

Bear
    What? No self respecting Jumper would be caught in anything other than spit shinned Corcoran's resoled with Goodyear tank treads. . I still have mine.

Boolit Master
    I switched to Solomon "Cross Hike" two years ago. So far so good. I've put about 200 miles on them this year since getting a new GSP pup. The rubber is starting to fray a bit on the edges where it meets the cloth but the soles are still good and they still don't bother my feet.

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/p...ds#color=74479

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Got these at Red Wing:

https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/me...ite-01221.html

Look heavy and stiff but are light and flexible. Good traction on the roof. Waterproof and lined to wick moisture away. Wear them to cross the pasture heavy with dew and ride the bikes. All day comfortable. My only complaints are sometimes the tread picks up a small stick or gravel and flips it in the top of the other boot. Happens about twice a year. Made in Vietnam. My truck tires are made there too. Stitching looked questionable but has stood for 3 years. Triple stitched where it matters. They can be resoled but it costs as much a new pair. I'm about due for some new foot pads inside.Tread shows no tear or wear. Squeaks on the polished floor at the PO. I'll buy them again when I get there.
    How are they or would be on mountain rocks, shale rocks, etc.? Pretty rocky here and these rocks destroy everything and are pretty sharp. Hard to find a comfortable hiking boot for regular wear. I have work boots for the dirty stuff. Thanks.
    Ron

Boolit Mold
    Another vote for Keen. I had a pair of Oboz (recommended by AT hikers) that were the most comfortable hiker I ever wore, but they didn't hold up the best. Also have a pair of Solomons, but I don't like the tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    What? No self respecting Jumper would be caught in anything other than spit shinned Corcoran's resoled with Goodyear tank treads. . I still have mine.
    Sorry ..Danners forever ..best ankle support of all !

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pete501 View Post
    I buy Danner with Danner-Dry 365 day waterproof guarantee. Pay with cash, keep the box and receipt, wear these exclusively and test for leaks before the time runs out. They always failed, some in less than 4 months. Then return to the retailer for a full refund. I rotate between 3 local retailers to fly below the radar. The boots are not leather and are pretty comfy. Never failed to get money back although one retailer had their own 60 day return policy that I had to argue with the manager, showing him that Danner's policy was to return to the retailer.
    Not as much as the White's I bought in Flagstaff to cruise timber and do thinnings after graduating NAU

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry ..Danners forever ..best ankle support of all !
    Heretic!!!!!!! When my daughter hit the sandbox on her first deployment there I bought her Danners before she left. She loves them and still will wear nothing else. She is overseas now and might end up there again. Her husband is SF and doing stuff but if she heads into the region wife and I will airmail her a new pair. Her husband is very specific on his footwear so I wouldn't send him anything.
    One of my feet is 1/2 size bigger than the other. Everyday shoes no problem but in the military and outside climbing mountains with a pack it's a huge deal so I'm also kinda picky.
    When I was on my way to Africa to climb Kilimanjaro I drove to the LLBean store in Freeport and spent an afternoon trying on hiking boots. Finally found one on one box and another in a different box of a different size that worked for me. Aside: I was the only guy on that climb without blisters and dry feet. Stunned me how many showed up not with Smart wool socks but cotton gym socks and fresh out of the box unbroken boots. To spend a week climbing a 19,000ft mountain.
    Being on your feet 12-14hrs a day or more for weeks on end you quickly realize when you made a big mistake.
    Last edited by jonp; 10-16-2023 at 03:55 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I always bought New Balance because of the larger width offered. For out in the woods, I wear White’s boots. They have served me well for many years. Consider looking into some of the American boot and shoe manufacturers. There’s nothing like a custom made shoe and they last a lot longer than those that are nothing more than plastic glued together. Whites has a selection of different kinds of shoes besides boots. I’ve heard good things about Nicks too. There are other American manufacturers as well.
    Many of the American made boots can be resoled by the makers also - most footwear these days aren't made tom be repaired.

Boolit Master
    there is no one else that has tried on a pair of LOWA shoes? I've got all the other brands mentioned here , keen, merrel, Danner, at least 1/2 dozen pair of red wings, and maybe its just me but those LOWA's are so much superior there is little comparison for a waterproof, hiking or hunting shoe. if only they had a steel toe for when doing things that its wise to have that protection.
    ii do have some fantastic keen waterproof super insulated snow shoes that I use when its freezing and snow out., but the fit and comfort just still doesn't compare.

well my Keen's arrived and they look well stitched ..look a little narrower than my current Merrell's but feel fine width wise (I wear wides) ..I also believe their heel is abrupt enough to do well in the field ..
    I will try to remember to revive this thread in 6 mo to update the wear and comfort eval ..currently the "foot print" feel is good so we will see if I am feeling the tread pattern or arch support failure in 6

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for Keen. I wear Keen sandals and other members of my family wear their boots.

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12