WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First cast out my Mosin

First cast out my Mosin

First 50yd group out my Mosin with the NOE 316-213-RN HP. Gotta say much nice to shoot the then full horse SP rounds I've been shooting in it from S&B. Honestly would probably have been a lot better if I didnt wait till I could barley see to shoot , shooting off the tripod and in the rain didnt help a ton either but I was pretty excited that and there was a random calf walking around my back stop so had to try and take care of that guy .gonna try again in the morning with my bipod or front rest where I can actually see lol.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    Not too bad for all of the adversity! Looking forward to seeing those groups off of a sand bag from a bench!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Thats good shooting in the dark. I love my 2 M/N's. It only gets more addictive.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    Good enough for the deer I encounter in my neck of the woods. You're unlikely to get a shot much farther out than 75-100 yards. Most of the time under 40yds. And of course, its more than powerful enough for the paper monsters.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    A muzzle brake really helps.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

I hope you make them work satisfactorily. They sure are pretty, just plain neat. But I like blue.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Nice looking setup. I like my straight as-issued MN, but had to do some work on the trigger. Those are fine rifles. I see an aftermarket stock on her. Are there other mods to your rifle?

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master
    Always enjoy your write-ups. Now I have to think about buying another mold! Maybe Santa Claus can be can be clued into a NOE.

Boolit Master
    Your loads look nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banner Sponsor

Great looking rounds, and rifle.
    I have a couple of short barreled MNs, but haven't done much with them.
    There was a guy on here about 20 years ago that tried to blow one up with a casefull of bullseye. He had to go to a heavier bullet, but never did get a ka-boom. The heavier bullet load finally liquefied the brass case and the action had to be beat open, but it never blew up.
    Just to be clear I am not suggesting anyone try this... lol

Boolit Buddy

Those boolits are too pretty to shoot! ��
    Mosin’s are a lot of fun—good luck!

Little update in the Mosin and The NOE 316-213-RN HP.
    First group of the day right at 2" @50yd . Not too loud very nice light recoil
    Cased up a bunch more with a harder alloy. Checked this morning and after casting water dropping PC and water dropping again they where around 15bhn if I remember right. Sized and gas checked too .314 ( bore slugged at .313 would have went to .315 but I forgot it order a .315 sizer bushings and since I'm only home for a short amount of time I just said I'll work with this till next month ) powder coated then sized again to make sure it's still a good .314. Expanded my necks with my NOE .315 x .311 expander plug. No crimp

A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

Fantastic. Looks like you put some love into that rifle. Keep it up. I have the Lyman 314299 and a Lee 312185 both cast at .315 and shoots light out. Fun stuff.

Little more velocity today and

MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    Atta boy

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    You do good work. Are you planning on hunting with that rig this year?

Excellent!
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    That last group looks great! I also like that huge hollow cavity on your boolits! Does that make them expand, or does the nose shear off?
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    The more that you shoot with a rifle the better you get with it. Judging from the targets it looks like you're on a trend: half grain increases in powder charge with your loads seem to result in tighter groups. Try 21 grains of 4227 and see if that holds true. If it does, keep upping the load (safely and within reason) until you find the point where you're getting the tightest groups. If you're super lucky your best accuracy might coincide with your best hunting velocity.

Boolit Grand Master

Might try 4895 with a dacron filler. This is what 28.5 gr of H4895 with the dacron filler under an NOE 314-299 out of my Finn M39 with a 6X scope at 100 yards does. Velocity runs 1820 fps. With 4895 you should be able to push 1900 fps and hold very good accuracy which would be excellent for game with your bullet.

This was 100 yards during a CBA Military rifle Match shooting for score.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st 100 png.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	318991

This was 200 yards shooting for score.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170115_095423.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	300.0 KB 
ID:	318993
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast