RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Lightfield Commander slugs

Lightfield Commander slugs

I have a chance to hunt a slug only piece of property and Need some load data for my stash of Lightfield Commander 12 ga slugs with the attached sabots. My shotgun is an 870 and wears a 20" Hasting fully rifled barrel and a Burris 2x7 shotgun scope. I don't need bazooka loads and I have Unique, Longshot, Green
    Dot, a small amount of Blue Dot and Hs-6. Hulls are 2 3/4" Cheddite primed. I will roll crimp on my drill press. I also have about 25 .735 Round balls that are pc'd and some pressure sabots for a cast a 440 gr 500 S&W boolit.
    I have loaded a zilloin rifle and handgun loads but slugs are a place that extrapolating charge weights from other loads can be testy to say the least. Not to worry, my brothers to the rescue.
    Thanks, Murf
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I would go with suggested loads for Slug R Us slugs, since they are similar to Lightfield Slugs, kinda. My basic load for those slugs starts at 23 gr of Unique and works up to 27 gr. 23 gr loads run around 1200 fps. I used Rio primed hulls for mine.

It's the only load I've used with these slugs, as it did what I wanted and didn't see any reason to go hotter. Also this is not a hot load and far from it, but easily effective out to 100 yards on Deer Sized game.

Plan B; call Lightfield and ask them?

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464885.jpg   100464934.JPG   100464943.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I read where Lightfield was out of business due to the owner passing.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Pretty nice group Randy. Did you use a gas seal was or any card wads under the sabot base? Roll crimp? I see yhe crimp now. My bad
    Last edited by murf205; 10-11-2023 at 02:28 PM.

As far as I can tell, the above slugs and the SPW pressure sabots are no longer available. I called BPI and talked to Eric and he suggested their Rigid Structure Sabots in conjunction with their Flex Seal wad. It is a pretty cool looking wad. They use Longshot and Fiocchi 2 3/4" hulls. He said the Rigid sabot was as near to the old SPW sabots that can be found.