MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Scope Advice for CZ 452

Boolit Master

Need Scope Advice for CZ 452

I've got a CZ 452 that I've had for several years. I took some bad advice when I bought a scope and mount. The scope has about 1/16" range of eye relief and the mount doesn't allow any adjustment of forward/backward position. I'm looking to replace both with a better grade scope and a mount that will allow me to mount the scope so I can get a full view. I'm not looking for a Nightforce or Zeiss(couldn't afford it anyway).

Any recommendations will be considered keeping in mind that I would prefer not to pay more than the rifle cost. I don't think I need more than a variable 3-9X and maybe less.

Son and a friend are considering silencers and if son gets one I asked him to consider a trust that I could participate in. If I get a scope that works, I might shoot more.
    John
    W.TN

I had the same problem recently needing a scope for a Model 70, seems I need the eye box about where the comb of the stock starts. Ended up using extended rings and an older Burris 3-9X Signature scope with off center turrets to get the eye relief I needed. This seems to be a growing problem with scope makers going, ''compact'' these days. Many Leupold scopes offer around 4'' eye relief. Bushnell makes a 3-9X 40 scope with 5'', their Banner II for $100.00 Midway's price. The old Weaver 3-9X steel scopes were very generous when it came to placing the eye box, but you paid for it in weight.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    Mueller with an adjustable parallax.

excellent weapon the cz
    I think it is better to choose telescopic sights for the activity you are going to do, rather than for the weapon.
    You can try to hunt at night, then I will suggest a scope with good glass and a thick post as a reticle, in that case an old German scope can give you a lot of joy.
    Or maybe you want to do precision shooting at long distance, and for that I will recommend a finer reticle and more magnifications, I would look at the economical vortex lines

Boolit Buddy
    The CZ has an 11mm grooved receiver. I have found BKL rings are the best.
    Get the best glass you can afford

Boolit Master

I have had really good luck with a couple of Sightron scopes I recently purchased. Good medium price range scope in my opinion. One was a 6-24 the other a fixed 36x.

Boolit Master

I have a Leupold VXII 3x9 on my 452.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master
    I used an oldish set of Weaver .22 rings from probably the late 1970's or early 80's to mount a Leupold 1-4X Vari X I on my CZ Model 452. Technically the 3/8" grooved mounts aren't supposed to work with the 11mm dovetail, but those did.

My problem with most of the 11mm dovetail mounts is that they are bulky and look out of proportion to a .22 rifle's receiver.

Robert

Boolit Master

Thanks to all for the advice. I'll start investigating the various options tomorrow.

Just talked to my son who is investigating suppressors. I'll also check to see what it will cost to get the barrel threaded.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    The better air gun scopes are another option. I have an Aztec I am very pleased with.
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    I have 2 CZ Bolt action 22LRs, love them and they are very accurate. 2 of them are topped with Riton Optics 1 Primal 4-12X50 scopes. A very good value for an entry-level optic. It also comes in 3-9 as well. Riton sells mounts as well. Check them out, your wallet will be glad you did.

Boolit Master

I went through three scopes on my CZ 452 Military Trainer before it got what it wanted:

The 2-7x28 Weaver on factory rings was the initial low-cost option when I thought it was just going to be a bunny gun. When it turned out it would hold five rounds of Wolf Match Target under a dime at 50 yards, it became obvious the gun could exploit more magnification.

Next was a Weaver 4-16 A/O on BKL airgun rings. The rings ended up being too tall for comfort (needed to go with highs for the objective bell to clear the rear sight assembly) and the optical clarity wasn't there.

Rifle currently sports a Leupold 3-9 A/O / EFR on a lower set of BKL rings. MUCH better!

If you don't have the iron sights to work around, there's a much broader array of rings to choose from.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
    I have 2 CZ Bolt action 22LRs, love them and they are very accurate. 2 of them are topped with Riton Optics 1 Primal 4-12X50 scopes. A very good value for an entry-level optic. It also comes in 3-9 as well. Riton sells mounts as well. Check them out, your wallet will be glad you did.
    Briefly looked at mounts on the Riton site. Looks like they make their profit on mounts after you are sucked in by the prices on the scopes.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    I have the Leupold 3x9 EFR Compact on 5 of my CZs in CZ rings. That scope is totally satisfactory for my use. All my rifles are the LUX version so that may be a factor as to how they work for me. I also have the discontinued 3x9 AO VX-II on a couple of other CZs but they are the 527 model. If that scope wasn't discontinued I probably would have used it in place of the Compact scope on everything.

I think it pretty much goes without saying that AO is a somewhat important consideration when scoping a rimfire.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Buddy
    Vortex makes a 6 X 24 X 50 Scope with a 30 mm tube that has a side parallax knob for about $425.00. Mounted with a 20 Min. rail and you will have all a person could ever ask for.

Boolit Master
    the vortex diamondback 2-7 35 is a fantastic scope for rimfire and price won't break the bank, clearness and sight picture excellent and warranty second to none

Boolit Buddy
    I have an EGW picatinny rail mounted on my 452, so I don't have to mess around with dovetail rings. It also allows for some adjustment of position. I had a Weaver Tactical 3-15 mounted on it for a while, but I've stolen that scope for my AR-10. I have a Leupold VX2 3-9 that I need to mount, but I need to buy some 1" rings first.

If your 452 is the American model, it will have 3/8" dovetail grooves instead of the 11mm that was mentioned earlier.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I've got a CZ 452 that I've had for several years. I took some bad advice when I bought a scope and mount. The scope has about 1/16" range of eye relief and the mount doesn't allow any adjustment of forward/backward position. I'm looking to replace both with a better grade scope and a mount that will allow me to mount the scope so I can get a full view. I'm not looking for a Nightforce or Zeiss(couldn't afford it anyway).

Any recommendations will be considered keeping in mind that I would prefer not to pay more than the rifle cost. I don't think I need more than a variable 3-9X and maybe less.

Son and a friend are considering silencers and if son gets one I asked him to consider a trust that I could participate in. If I get a scope that works, I might shoot more.
    I have two 452 CZ .22s, and love then dearly!!! That said, on BOTH, I have mounted a Weaver Classic 3-9x x 32 Rimfire Scope. Note this is not their el cheapo model. If you can obtain one, I'd be pretty confident it will meet all your wants and needs. They did/do for me!
    geo

Boolit Mold
    I just picked up a 457 to use in production class competition. I went with a 5-25 from https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/optics. I don't expect to use the 25x much except from the bench, but when used at lower magnifications, the eyebox becomes much more forgiving. If you don't want quite that much magnification there is a 4-16 option.

Their combo pack for $235 more will set you up with rings, lens caps, level, and a magnification throw lever. A fair price for whats included.

I can't personally offer an option, but https://athlonoptics.com/ is another company that shows up a lot in the .22 production class guns, and seem to be good value for the money.

A guy by the name of big fish jim has been doing a bunch of optic reviews over the last few years, he started at the price is no object levels, and has worked his way down the price curve to the sub 1k optics, and some of his reviews might be helpful to you to figure out which features matter most. https://opticsthoughts.com/?tag=bigjimfish

Boolit Buddy

The Burris FFII 4.5-14 AO won't break the bank, and I like mine. I can't help with the mounts. I found the best price on Amazon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast