WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 700 remington

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    In years past,
    it seemed like 'the suspender boys' in their carpeted offices were more concerned about the colors
    and logos on the box more so than what was in it.
    Agreed. Happens with a lot of publicly traded companies. A reputation is built, company is bought out and the new owners ride the reputation as long as they can. Oftentimes to the point the company goes bankrupt and is liquidated.

Boolit Master

The real problem is not just in the firearms industry. Many areas of manufacture have been bought up by conglomerate groups and the bottom line is always the same, profit above everything else. I worked for a company that was actually one of the better customer service companies. But still, every year at budget time there came down from the top management a decree mandating a 5% reduction in production costs. No guidance on how to get it, just do it. Our raw materials venders were going up an average of 8% to 10% a year. Electricity, steam, and equipment were already locked in, so those costs were out of our hands so to speak. That left the only places to go; either cut labor or cut quality. One of the worst practices of cooperate America is that of giving huge bonuses to management for "cost savings". More money is too big of an urge to ignore. After all, when the business starts to slide they can always go to another corporate job and most of the time at more money and the same (cost savings) perks. Remington has not been owned by the Remington family in "many moons" as the old Indian said. Maybe this company will revive the excellent quality that was once a trademark of Remington. Lets hope anyway, james

It rarely turns out well when a old company gets bought out by another that doesn't known anything
    about the industry they just bought into.
    I remember all the problems with the new Harley Davidsons after AMF-- the bowling ball company bought them out.

I figure it's sort of like buying an airplane---- that doesn't automatically make you a pilot.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

The buying of companies is all about value on the dollar spent. A company that is considering buying a small or similar company goes thru a process of first identifying the assets of the prospective company. They look for the value of the equipment owned by the company and whether it is paid off or is it in a loan situation. Then they will look at any patients the company owns and the value of those patients. Can we use them or are they a sale item. Sometimes a company buys another for the patients they hold because they need the patients for their own use and not have to re-engineer or change a product they own. OR have to pay a royalty for its use. But sometimes a company is just looking to invest in some other line of business and have no expertise in that field and too often experience problems, just as Winger Ed said. The company I worked for bought several small companies that had patients that could improve their product line and usually sold them off after purchase and registering the patients in their own corporation. Or just shut the little company down and laid off their employees. Corporate "raiding" rarely works well for the working class. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Master
    I wish they would bring back the original wood stocked 700 ADL. But I'm grateful to see anything from a major gun maker that's not "Tactical". There aren't many guns currently being made that I'd even take home if they were free and that takes a lot for a gun fanatic like myself to say. This tactical fad leaves me cold. What truly mystifies me is when somebody posts a photo of some weird gun with paint and plastic everywhere, exposed socket head bolts, picatinny rails, levers, seams, hinges, etc. and people gush about how beautiful it looks. Is a backhoe beautiful? I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder but some folks must surely be blind.

I wish Remington well- as I grew up with a Nylon 66, an 870, and a 788. They never failed me.
    My favorite 700 was (still is) the wood stock ADL model as mentioned above. I’ve had 22-250, .243, and 30-06 ADL rifles and I never wished for a hinged floor plate.
    Brother in law just sent me a 1967 Remington catalog and what a Time Machine!
    I didn’t realize that they made a 760 Carbine in .35 Remington back then! I want one now……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The first new factory rifle I could afford was in 1962. Remington had just came out with the Model 700. I ordered one thru my cousins furniture shop and it came in about 2 weeks. It was a 700 ADL in 30-06 and it had a 20" barrel and a serial number with 3300+ or 300 +, I can't remember exactly now. . I paid a grand total of $92.00 for it and that included state tax. I kept that rifle and deer hunted with it until about 1978 but just got tired of that short barrel and the really loud report. I did not wear hearing protection back then and I sold the rifle to my bosses son who is still using it as far as I know. It was a really accurate rifle and a joy to carry. james

I just took a look through their on line catalog. I'm impressed favorably. As much as I like having a set of irons on a rifle, that CDL model is one of the prettiest rifles I've seen in a long time!

Now, if it only had sights...
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

My first Remington rifle was a 700 BDL 30-06;20” barrel ,it got boring knocking down 500M Rams at the silhouette range so I started to shoot them in the eye. I gave that rifle away to my Sons best friend and he says he will never part with it.
    I all ready had a Winchester Mdl 70 in 30-06 and that rifle never shot half as well as the Remington did. So the Winchester got a barrel change with a PacNor 338-06 barrel and was a good shooter after that and left me with no 30-06 rifle. Once I discovered the 338-06 I really wanted a Remington 700 in 338-06 so I found Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 to use as a donor rifle. After getting the rifle I decided to take it to the range and see how well it shot, I was very surprised to see it shot so well and it’s a very nice rifle it remains a 30-06 to this day and I satisfied my desire for another 338-06 with a custom Mauser.
    I have 7 Remington rifles and not one of them won’t do sub MOA 5 shot 100 yard groups.

Randy, I have done this same thing 2 times. Once with a FN Mauser sporter in 30-06 and again with a 30-30 Marlin. If you really want a great shooting rifle, just plan on re-barreling/reboring it. Curiosity will cost you every time!
    As far as the new BDL Remington, It had serious bling. I just might.........
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12