WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Applying Cerakote

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Applying Cerakote

Can I use my airbrush to apply Cerakote air cure or must I use an HVLP/LVLP detail spray gun?

I have used DuraCoat in the past and am all set up with the air brush so I really don't want to set up another application system if I don't have to.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

Sure, I used a setup that uses compressed air in a spray can, worked great.

Airbrush works great on smaller parts.

The kicker on Cera-Kote is complete mixing and straining all the chunks out of the paint. I use a Harbor Freight Touch up gun to shoot my projects. It was the cheap on and cost me all of $12. been using it to do all my Spray painting on my Jeep and other projects.

The stuff is one of the easiest paints to spray I have ever used. And yes an Air Brush would work for smaller parts but you need a good consistent sweep to cover the work in one pass on bigger parts like barreled actions as it doesn't build evenly if you try to do multiple passes. That's where the Touch Up Gun comes in.

I have been trying to buy a MasterBuilt Smoker for the last month for <$120 but they have all came back "no stock" when the Buy it now post on Ebay said 3-5 in stock? Damn Chinese anyway!

Any way that should answer your question. Just go to HF and buy a Touch Up Gun and get a Regulator you can choke down to 10-15 psi and a decent water filter. You can get everything at HF for less than $35!

Randy,
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy

You also have to sand or bead blast it first, correct?

No, glass bead blasting. Sand blast only. Cerakote likes a rough surface to adhere to. I use $2 a bag play sand broken grains only, I run the sand through a bacon fry screen as a strainer to uniform the grains for use in my blast cabinet. Then wash the blasted surface three times with a non dyed shop rag, that is wet with Acetone. Hang the parts. I apply two coats in 1/4 turns, wet application. Cerakote when cured will not adhere to itself, so, two coats are appplied wet. It is very, very thin, like water, any runs and it can be rubbed off with acetone before it dries. After it cures it must be sand blasted off.
    This is the 358 Win Mauser I just finished with Granite Black. The muzzle and chamber are plugged. AR flash suppressor is on to protect the threads and is taped. External screws are in place before spraying. I use a gravity fed touch up gun at 90 psi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0616.jpg  
    Last edited by Rapier; 10-16-2023 at 09:50 AM.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    "regulator you can choke down to 10-15 psi and a decent water filter."

"I use a gravity fed touch up gun at 90 psi."

From the Cerakote site:

Elite Series V Series C Series P Series
    25-30 psi 25 - 30 psi 30 psi 30 psi
    H Series & Gen II NIR Glacier Series MC Clears & H-Series Clears
    20-25 psi 30 psi (including W-400 Glacier Chrome) 30 psi

I am now officially CONFUSED!!!
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

Thanks for posting I have been thinking about doing my Charter Arms Bulldog (44) for a few years . I was looking hard at cerakote kits for $179 but in the end ended up finding a local applicator . With me taking the gun down he is doing it for $100 and I do not have all the stuff sitting around unused for who knows how long. On the other hand IF I really like it I might get a kit ...
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

I simply use 90 psi as it works best in my touch up gun to vaporize the air cure type liquid I use 90% of the time Granite Black. You can use acetone to adjust the flow rate to start spraying, as it is close to the same viscosity and I do have water filters on every outlet. So the pressure setting is on the compressor.
    With any of these types of products, when spraying them, I have found that it is always best to have real good ventilation, plus a mask and of course no flame or smoking.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

I did get my Bulldog back it took a bit of work to get it back together but it looks great I fired it some today with the last 5 Remington 246 grain SWC green and white box I had the bullets average 760 f/s from the 3" barrel.
    A reload I loaded some years ago with soft alloy 268 grain over Trap 100 it does average of only 660 f/s My guess was a bit lower.
    Last edited by firefly1957; 10-23-2023 at 08:13 AM. Reason: 660 not 600
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.