RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Seen any Winchester 209 Primers?

Boolit Buddy

Seen any Winchester 209 Primers?

Has anyone seen any W209 primers in...I don't know...forever? Since the craziness started I've seen Cheddites, Rios, CCI 209Ms and even found a couple bricks of Federal 209s (not 209As), but no W209s. I think the last ones I bought were in 2018 (or earlier).

I've been able to come up with data for the others but I always liked the Winchesters.

Boolit Master

Might be a while before you see any. There was an explosion at the plant last June and I'm sure they are making changes in how primers are produced.
    https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/lo...3-08f922b8d9ed
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Vance Outdoors in Columbus OH area has them. Don't know how far you're willing to go.

In the past I read several times that Cheddite primers were interchangeable with Winchester and use the same data. Cheddite primers have been available from BPI and I've used them with complete satisfaction. You can phone BPI and discuss it with their load experts.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    I am another shotgunner who really likes Winchester 209's. I haven't seen that brand of primers out here on the west coast for the last few years so I have switched over to Cheddite's and I am very happy with them. They are a very high quality primer, indeed. I have used Rio's as well but they are slightly larger in diameter than Win. 209's so I use dedicated cases for Rio primers. If you load a Win. 209 into a case that had been fired with a Rio, you will discover a loose primer pocket. Should they fall out in an autoloader, they can really jam up the works and make for some interesting cuss words, to say the least.

I’ve heard many people say they like the Winchester 209 primers. I’ve reloaded many shotgun shells using Cheddite without any issues. I can’t tell one primer is better than the other.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies! Columbus is a 4 hour drive so that's not going to work. Not THAT much in love with them! Lol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaverhunter2 View Post
    Has anyone seen any W209 primers in...I don't know...forever? Since the craziness started I've seen Cheddites, Rios, CCI 209Ms and even found a couple bricks of Federal 209s (not 209As), but no W209s. I think the last ones I bought were in 2018 (or earlier).

I've been able to come up with data for the others but I always liked the Winchesters.
    Saw some on two-gun shop shelves last week; they were old and priced at more than I was willing to pay; $12.00+ / 100 ....

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    I am another shotgunner who really likes Winchester 209's. I haven't seen that brand of primers out here on the west coast for the last few years so I have switched over to Cheddite's and I am very happy with them. They are a very high quality primer, indeed. I have used Rio's as well but they are slightly larger in diameter than Win. 209's so I use dedicated cases for Rio primers. If you load a Win. 209 into a case that had been fired with a Rio, you will discover a loose primer pocket. Should they fall out in an autoloader, they can really jam up the works and make for some interesting cuss words, to say the least.
    You can use the Universal primer pocket tool from BPI to make the primer pocket to take the Win 209 . or any loose primer pockets. I use them or if the pocket is too small to fit the Win 209 you can still do the same to make it work. That way you will not have to use different primers .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I bought five sleeves of WIN 209’s in 2020 I believe it was . Three from Brownells and two from a local sporting clays range . I’ve used up four sleeves and have 5k left and they aren’t going anywhere . For a couple years now I’ve been using the Cheddar Cheese primers almost exclusively , I’d say I’ve used up four sleeves of them and still have four sleeves on my shelf . I load A LOT of shotgun shells everything from the 8 down to the 410 and at present have quite a stockpile of reloads waiting to be fired at clay or feathered targets . At present all I’m loading are 8 gauge and 10 gauge mostly 2 7/8” but a few 3 1/2” .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Saw some on two-gun shop shelves last week; they were old and priced at more than I was willing to pay; $12.00+ / 100 ....
    A guy in NE PA sent me a picture of bricks of Remington STS primers for sale $100@1000 . That was last week I believe .

Boolit Master
    FWIW lots of folks think using the Cheddar Cheese primers make the pockets useless for WIN REM or Federal primers . I’ve found that not to be the case . First time I tried the Cheddite primers I took some once fired AA 410’s loaded a pair of them three times firing each time in the snail in the shop . After loading the three times with Cheddites and setting them off them I reprinted with WIN 209’s and tapped the heck out of those two hulls on my bench to see if they’d back out . They didn’t , then I loaded them and fired them in the snail. The primers stayed in place after firing . After that I’ve not paid a whole lot of attention to primers granted I’ve not used any RIO’s or Nobel Sports but I’ve been told Nobel Sports work just as well as Cheddites with no messing up of primer pockets . So that’s my take on the whole primer debate , may not work for you but I’m fine with it .