Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: primer / cartridge sealant ?

Boolit Master

I tried sealing primers in the past never really found it needed even reloads that went though washer have always fired .
    I sealed some early buckshot loads I did the red nail polish color also marked what the load was letting me know no to send 12 pellets of OO go in the air after birds. That nail polish was not Lacquer and it cracked off on firing and needed to be cleaned from my firing pin hole .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master
    Winger Ed ~ I've used zip lock bags mostly to keep dirt away from some ammo. On big trips in the past, I've used my food vacuum sealer to small units of ammo clean and dry. I'd usually take five rounds and seal them in the vacuum sealer and take several units in my pack. I didn't expect to use the sealed stuff but wanted to have a clean & dry stash in the off chance I got stuck / lost / hurt / etc. and had to stay out a few days longer than planned. I'd seal other stuff, too; fire starting supplies, meds, T.P., and some junk food. Kept the pack organized and free of clutter.

I did buy the sealant from Brownell's. Just treated 50 cases and, although tedious, I didn't find it difficult.

I've thought about getting some Markron Custom Bullet and Primer Sealer, but have yet to do it.

These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Grand Master
    deces ~ That's the one I got. Pretty straight forward. The inclosed instructions give two ways to seal the primer, either of which is pretty simple. I did it both ways and am satisfied they are sealed. Of course, I've never had a "sealing" problem in the past. I have had a few dudds, but nothing I would have attributed to leakage, per se.

Boolit Grand Master

Good old finger nail polish has worked for me.

Much adieu is made about variance in bullet tension as it pertains to accuracy. Also of the often disputed phenomena called "bullet weld" in the case neck. Bullet weld is supposedly caused by electrolysis between the slightly different metals of the bullet and the brass case neck. Many competition shooters mitigate the problem of bullet weld by seating their bullets long, and them reseating to proper length just before shooting.

I have often thought that simply using lacquer to seat/seal the bullet when sating would provide protection against bullet weld, create a consistency more important than bullet tension, and of course provide a water proof seal. I've never done it however. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12