Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is too much?

Boolit Bub

How much is too much?

I love the 45 ACP I have about 10 5 gallon pails of brass am I crazy
    The scrap dealer will give me two dollars a pound. What do you think I should do?

Boolit Master

offer it for sale here

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MR45 View Post
    I love the 45 ACP I have about 10 5 gallon pails of brass am I crazy
    The scrap dealer will give me two dollars a pound. What do you think I should do?
    Put on here to sell to people who need some; If you can find the components ? load some and have on hand ? Won't be long and they will be worth there weight in gold ? Anti's do not think you should have any of this.......

Boolit Grand Master
    You should be able to sell it for more than $2/lb if you want to get rid of some. Seems silly to sell it for scrap price when it should fetch over $75/1000. (1000 cases weigh about 13 lbs so over $5.50/lb)

How much to sell depends on your age, and how much you expect to shoot a year. You should get over a dozen reloads per case and assume a 5% loss at the range.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

No better time to sell than when when we've got a gun-ban sponsoring Democrat in the White House. Nobody seems to stock up during a friendly administration when things are plentiful & cheap. If you've been a good ant, nothing wrong with passing the screwing on to the grasshoppers at reasonable discount from current market prices for new. Like Verna says, .45 brass is pretty much forever, so your main discount points would be mismatched head stamps or the possibility of mixed small and large primer pockets.

Sell local if you can, though I'd expect parceling out 50 gallons might saturate the local market quickly. I'd weigh a counted quantity of cases and then save my sanity by packaging by weight/approximate quantity. Add half a handful so nobody feels jipped if they end up five cases short. If you're gonna ship, substitute a USPS flat rate box for the baggie and factor that rate into your pricing.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Sell it here.
    Make a few folks happy, and add a few bucks to the 'Keep MR45 from starving to death this week fund'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    You could do what I did.

Many years ago I started collecting 45 ACP brass in anticipation of buying my first 1911. I eventually had so much I sold just part of it to reloaders and used the proceeds to buy a NIB 1911. Still had plenty of brass to load for my new acquisition.

Definitely, your buckets are worth much more to reloaders as usable cartridge brass than as scrap, where you’ll get only a fraction of the metal’s retail price (scrapper, processor and retailer each hike the price to take their profit).

At some point in time, it will not be made anymore.
    Eons in the future archeologists will dig them up and wonder about them.

Banned

Load it all up and shoot it........then do it again..........and again.............

Sometimes 45 shooters have a strong preference for small or large primer brass. If you are up to it, you could probably sell a quantity sorted by primer size.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Sort our the small primer brass and sell it to the scrapper !

I hate that stuff every now and then I get one in my Progressive press OH BOTHER as Chuck says!

I did add a Small pistol primer to a few to test load was 5 grains red dot under 200 grain cast bullet they averaged 30 f/s less but had much lower velocity spread . Looking the cases over the SP primed cases were one make the others were every make including military cases.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    For a new shooter, the small pistol primers are the only primers readily available. May be a few large pistol primers, but too many rifle shooters use them for mid range loads IF they can find them. At least you will have something to shoot if you need it.

Boolit Master
    You could always pour them out into a large bin and dive around into it the way Scrooge McDuck did with his money! Seriously, that's a lot of 45 ACP brass. Maybe even I might sell a few buckets full, but I doubt it. Unless you need the money what's to be gained by trading off something so useful for a few hundred dollars? Now if you turn around and buy powder or primers with the cash then it all makes sense again.

Boolit Master
    I was there some years back. I gave a free bucket to any reloader that would sort a bucket for me. There are brands I don’t prefer and of course needed to get rid of the SPP brass. They didn’t do a great job, and a couple disappeared with a bucket, but it was worth it.

I have no problem leaving 9mm on the ground, but I find it hard to pass up 45 and bigger.

Boolit Master

Or. . .

Buy a Thompson.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't scrap the SPP brass, personally. There for a long time, you just DID. NOT. See. large pistol primers for sale at any price. In fact, I BOUGHT some SPP .45 brass so I could load them and then replace the primers locally. I had to dispose of all my powder and primers when I went overseas from 2016-2021. I still haven't been able to restock completely.

I would separate the brass by primer size, and bag a few groups of approximately 1,000+, and see what I could sell it for. Price the brass shipped by US Priority Mail. If the first few lots sell, continue until I've sold all that I plan to. An inexpensive postal scale will cut down on manually counting brass, but you'll still need to sort it by primer size.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Most of the brass that I scrap is damaged or split but I do scrap brass 38 spcl, 40 and 9mm that I pick up but don’t reload. I would never scrap good 45acp.

You will make far more $$ selling it to a reloader. I never understood people selling good range brass as as scrap. Even lowly 9mm is worth 3c each. Sure garbage or damaged brass, but good reloadable brass is worth more than scrap.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

As the saying goes…if you have to ask, you ain’t got enough.
    Try firing off a PCC & you’ll regret not keeping as much.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    You will make far more $$ selling it to a reloader. I never understood people selling good range brass as as scrap. Even lowly 9mm is worth 3c each. Sure garbage or damaged brass, but good reloadable brass is worth more than scrap.
    In the S&S 3K of 9MM just sold at .016 per piece. Posted 9/17 and marked sold today 10/9.
    Maybe your prices are in your specific location, but not mine either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast