WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Varner tang sights?

Boolit Master

Varner tang sights?

Was just surveying what's out there these days in "traditional" tang sights -- the basics, not the big Soule Verniers.
    Poking around at Dixie Gun Works, they had the usual Lymans and Marbles, but also Varners -- and for less money. I hadn't heard of these guys. Anyone use this make on a lever gun? They say they are made in the USA.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/pag ... TANG+SIGHT

The link didn't work for me,
    I even tried entering it in the search and got nothing.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

I don't see this brand on Dixie Gun Works. (oops, they are on page 2) They also have Uberti and Pedersoli. The Uberti reviews are all bad. I have a Pedersoli that came with my Quigley Sharps, it is horrible. The staff frame looks like it was punched out of sheet metal. The scale is nearly impossible to read. The scale is black on black and the numerals are rough and crude. The eyecup windage adjustment binds and the staff "lockup" is loose. I never mounted it on the rifle.
    For my lever action competition rifles I use this from MVA. VERY well made and enough elevation for 200 meters. https://montanavintagearms.com/produ...er-tang-sight/

Varner tang sights are sold at The Hawken Shop. They are a modern copy of the Winchester Tang Sight, similar to Lyman.
    Last edited by DAVIDMAGNUM; 10-08-2023 at 01:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    I’ve been down the road of buying cheap vernier sights. They just don’t work. You need a backlash free adjust and a solid base you can get perpendicular. Montana Vintage Arms is great. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Boolit Buddy

Taylors in Winchester, VA sells a nice Winchester style vernier tang sight. I installed one on my 1876 45-60 WCF. I also installed an adjustable aperature front. The gun shoot well with my cast boolits.

Boolit Master
    "Meh" reviews that they are coarse and need shimming at Midway, which has discontinued them. I'll probably go with the trusty Marbles.
    If you search for tang sights at Dixie, the Varners are on Page 2. Search for just Varner and you get nada. Weird.

Boolit Master
    Just as in scopes ? You want the best sights you can afford ! Cheap sights are just that; CHEAP...... Don't work when you get out there a ways....

Montana Vintage Arms and you'll be happy.

Boolit Master
    Ordered a Marble's for the 1876. I prefer them to the Lyman. Wasn't interested in a Vernier or Soule style for this rifle -- but may order another Beech-style combination front sight from MVA.

Forget the crap, buy the best.