Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Molly Bullets

Boolit Master

Molly Bullets

I have chucked small amounts into my pot with no issues...

But I was given a large quantity for scrap and plan on melting and ingatizing them.

Any concerns with a couple hundred pounds worth causing issues?

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

This link will take you to the safety data sheet.

https://www.acsmaterial.com/pub/medi...fide_MoS2_.pdf

Like any other evil spirits that find their way into mine-- I just stay upwind when they come leaping out.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't breath the smoke and fumes ... stay up wind and have a fan going .

I'm sure the coating is hazardous to everything but melting and ingotizing them is probably the safest way .
    Trying to remove the coating would be just as dangerous as smelting .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Since Moly bullets have come up in the subject I have a question, Is there any reason not to actually, you know, shoot them? I have a full box of moly coated .358 wadcutters my dad bought in the 50's or 60's and I called the company that is actually still in business and they offered to trade them for led replacements. I said I would hold onto them for now. I figured if they were willing to do that so quickly they must be worth something. And sorry, I don't remember the company and the box is buried out in my shed. I will get the company name later today when I go out there.

I shoot moly-bee lubed boolits in all of my center fire hand guns unless I have PCed them. The majority of my 41, 44 and 454C are moly lubed. I have use moly lubed jacketed in my .22-250 for 15 years, it has not had any ill effects on my guns. I have not had rusted bores as some claim. But I clean with a 50/50 kroil- shooters choice mix after each use and store in a safe with a golden rod dehumidifier.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    it has not had any ill effects on my guns. I have not had rusted bores as some claim. But I clean with a 50/50 kroil- shooters choice mix after each use and store in a safe with a golden rod dehumidifier.
    Cleaning after shooting is probably the reason your bores are not rusted. One of the early claims was that you didn't need to clean your bores for 3-500 rounds and that getting the molybdenum sulfide to infuse into the metal conditioned the bores to the bullets. No one mentioned how long it took to get to those 3-500 shots and under what conditions the guns were stored.

I shot several 500 round boxes of Bear Creek moly coated bullets through my 357, 40 and 45ACP guns before I started casting. They worked fine in the 357 and 1911, but tended to leave a residue in the 40 barrel that needed a Chore Boy wrapped mop to scrape out. Since using my powder coated cast bullets, all guns need nothing more than a CLP wet patch through them to wipe the soot out.

If the business that still sells moly coated bullets offered to exchange them for traditional cast bullets, I'd consider taking them up on the offer but it's a 50/50 call. Traditional lubed lead bullets will be more smokey but the moly coated bullets have no real monetary value over the plain lead bullets. 500 through your gun won't make much of a difference so you'd be fine just shooting them. Just be sure to clean your bore after each range session. I personally melted down the several dozen remaining moly coated bullets that I hadn't already shot just to keep all my bullets of the same type.

Boolit Master
    The Company is Zero Bullets. When I called and asked what the coating was the young lady did not know, she said it was a coating they used a long time ago and discontinued. All it says on the box is 148 Gr. (swaged) W.C.H.B. 38 caliber. They are completely black except for the little bit in the hollow base.