Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: California DOJ Roster of Safe Handguns

California DOJ Roster of Safe Handguns

I know that almost every seller will not sell to the state of CA due to the restrictive list of approved "safe" handguns. But What about Inter Family Transfers from another state? Can a California FFL accept a gun from another state for an inter-family transfer if the gun is Not on the list of approved guns? And if an FFL cannot transfer, is it legal to transport via automobile into CA and transfer as a face to face? This would be adult child to parent transfer.

I'd call a ATF office in Calif.
    They should know right off the top of their head what the current law is out there.

In years past, when I kept a FFL, I'd call our local office, and they put me right through to a agent,
    and they'd quote chapter & verse, then thank me for calling them to get a clarification.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Calif. regs have nothing to do with ATF. Last I heard there was an exception from the roster law for transfers between family members but of course that's always in flux. Best bet would be to call a dealer out there. If doing as a face to face, the parties should be able to meet at an FFL and do it that way.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Yes, you should be able to do it on the firearm ownership report form: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/forms There used to be an inter-familial transfer form, but this appears to have superseded it.

You can go up or down the family tree, but not across.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

So a handgun that is not on the approved list would be OK to import into CA within a family transfer?? True??

Boolit Master

Other than a cap gun, squirt gun or pop gun, is there such a thing as a legal handgun in California?

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Calif. regs have nothing to do with ATF. .
    Hmmm,,, never thought about that.
    I guess anybody you called out there would just tell ya "No" no matter what the law really is.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    As is evident from this discussion, we see the true reason behind these laws (I know I'm preaching to the choir here).

I'm certain that after trying to go through this procedure, the bad guys are just going to give up and decide its not worth the effort to get a gun.

Boolit Mold
    Go to Cal Guns dot Net and read up there.

My understanding? Not allowed.

The following is how I understand it.

For a F2F transaction in california, both people have to have a california address.
    For shipping into the state, it has to be on the Roster, or be over 50 years old [C&R exemption], or be a single-action revolver, or be one of the named guns on the Olympic Exemption list.

Named firearms on a will can be shipped in as an inheritance, as I understand it- but they have to be identified on the will- and can't have 11 or larger capacity mags, or be a long gun that violates any of the assault weapons clauses.

This is how I understand it.

However, i've heard of people getting guns from relatives out of state, so there has to be some grey area that can be used.
    The website brought me here for load data on long guns, but I also will be loading for handguns. Lately, I've found the muzzleloading section insightful. What a GREAT Site this is!

Boolit Buddy
    I shipped a handgun not on the list to my son in California through Redstone firearms in LA. I called him first to check legality. Used shipmygun.com $35 to send then my son paid $100 to transfer.

Boolit Buddy
    You might wish to look at State of CA Form BOF 4544A Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Firearm Transaction.

I am not a lawyer. But, it seems to me, that if you physically were to bring a gun into the state, that it would be between you and God, as to whether or not you DROSed it. Not DROSing it would be illegal of course, but a great many people fail to do it.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master

Went through this early this year. My wife gave her "James Bond" PPK/S to Son #2 in California. Transfer is cumbersome and fraught with challenges.

1. Identify a California Dealer who will take the firearm in a "Transfer" paper trail (paid on both ends of course.
    2. Make sure the California Dealer has done this in the past and is knowledgable.
    3. DO NOT take the firearm over the State Line into California. It could be seized, destroyed and you prosecuted for doing so.
    4. A letter must be created from Donor to Recipient stating the relationship, the firearm specifics, and..... Donor and Recipient MUST be blood relatives. No Step Parent to Step Child. No adopted Children transfers, and.... (It's California)
    5. California has a LONG LIST of firearms not allowed in the State. I.e. the wife's gift of her PPK/S was ok; the giving of a PPK - Forbidden. Did I say before; It's California.

Once again - Work with through a California Dealer with experience in the Gift Firearm area to do the transfer.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I remember reading somewhere were a colt python with a certain finish was approved but the same gun with a different finish was not on the list. There is no validity to its list. And too bad the many good people of California put up with it or appear to be an able to change its over reach. I wonder how many other laws/regulations are in place just to make life burdensome in the state. Too bad as it has such beautiful destinations.

Boolit Master
    When the laws are this convoluted, thinking you can ask a law enforcement/government official their "professional opinion" over the phone and be 100% safe is tricky.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by pete501 View Post
    So a handgun that is not on the approved list would be OK to import into CA within a family transfer?? True??
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cessnapilot89 View Post
    Yes.
    Would you care to elaborate?