Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've Come Full Circle, And I'm As Giddy As A Schoolboy!

I've Come Full Circle, And I'm As Giddy As A Schoolboy!

Vintage American walnut and blue steel! Last two shows I went to I harvested four guns, a Winchester Model 70 in the grand old .30/06 made in 1953, which filled a slot in my collection and proved very satisfying at the range having fired a total of twelve shots.

True happiness and smiles like when I was a boy came with the other three guns I bought this year though, three vintage .22 rifles. Number of shots fired, doesn't matter, several hundred I imagine. First, a Marlin 39A built in 1969. This 19 shooter, (20 with one in the chamber, talk about loadi'n up on Sunday and shooti'n all week long!) may well be my choice for the most useful over-all .22 ever made. Accuracy is astounding from a bench with a scope mounted, carries like an extension of myself, is very well made, smooth as soft butter, and it just plain works! I confess though, it's not ALL American walnut and blue steel, there's the butplate and gripcap made of some kind of plastic, and the hammer extension, though factory JM is alloy, but close enough. Any post war kid would love to have one and treasure it as his/her prize possession!

This next one is a true American walnut and steel .22 rifle, a Remington 121 Fieldmaster made in 1940. No plastic-no alloy, just steel and walnut. When I bought it, I thought I might pass it along with a small profit. After-all, a Remington pump .22? It can't possibly match the accuracy of the Marlin? Nope, not off the bench, and to scope it would ruin it by drilling holes, however, it fits just right and has clearer sights than the Marlin, and out-shoots the Marlin every time off-hand! This old Remington ain't goi'n away! What a joy to plink with! Pieces of shale on the back-stop don't stand a chance with that Remington in hand!

The third .22 rifle, well it's a bit more modern with some plastic, butplate, magazine, and short barrel shroud including the rear sight. It's the engineering, design, accuracy, and strength of this little bolt action that paints a smile on my face when I shoot it. Made in 1975, sort of a mini Remington 788 centerfire rifle. The 581 certainly has enough going for it, I wonder why it's still not in production, (other than cost to build). Remington's 580 series stands as the base for not only the 541 series, but the heart and soul of the Remington 540X match rifle. I never had a .22 match rifle other than an old Remington 513T, but this little rifle with a Weaver 4X scope makes my brother sweat when shooting groups beside his beloved Winchester 52C with Redfield Olympic sights using the same ammo. It's yet to beat the 52C, but gives it something to worry about!

All in all, I've found a renewed love for the .22 rifle such as I had as a boy! I think one, and just one more .22 rifle will complete and satisfy my love for the .22rf. cartridge, another Remington 513T with the Redfield Olympic sights and maybe even a Unertl 16 or 20X scope. A Hi-Lux 20X...
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    I have had a 581 for "like ever"
    Been through a couple of those plastic mags.
    They have become very hard to get and expensive so I made one into a single shot adapter.
    I believe some one is making a nice 5 shot mag for them out of steel over that side of the pond.

Boolit Master

"Giddy As A Schoolboy"

Enjoyed reading this!

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats, Ithica Gunner, on your finds! My Marlin 39a Golden is newer than yours -- a 1985 Manufacture (S/n 157xxxN) -- and it sports a Leupold 'scope. I soooo agree with your, "Any post war kid would love to have one and treasure it as his/her prize possession!"! As do I (born in 1948 does make me post war !
    I have curiousity re your Remington 121 -- I'd love to see a photo? (hint hint ) I have two of this model's daddy: To wit a plain-Jane 1936 made Model 12 and a Model 12C which was made in the mid-1920s. The 12 is adorned with a Weaver scope. If I recall, the model 12's were made from 1909 through 1936; yours -- the 121 -- was introduced in 1936 and made through to 1954 or so.
    Again -- congrats! Happy shooting!
    geo

Here you go, George. I've been kinda/sorta wanting a M12 or 121 Remington for a few years though never priority enough to actually buy one until the September show. A dealer I've done business with for years had the Remington 581 with the 121 right beside it, (he organizes by manufacturer and type) the 581 was the one I really wanted, he was a bit surprised knowing I like American walnut and blue steel. In the case of the 581, they're just plain accurate and that's why I wanted it. He told me they were from the same estate, assuring me they were both lovingly used making me a deal on the pair. The 121 isn't the most accurate .22 I own off the bench, but there's something about it when thrown to the shoulder off hand. It beats any other of my .22's for quick or even aimed shots standing. It's the slimmest rifle I own by far and a joy to shoot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E5NHV2vh.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	318732

Name:	ecTkFw5h.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	318733

Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for posting the photos!!! An interesting to me note on these -- both the Model 12 and 121 -- is that the take-down design was mandated to facilitate travel on trains! So many hunters would travel via rail to their hunting destinations that the take-down design was almost a "must" enabling them to pack their hunting arms along with clothes in their suit cases. Of course, the "big brothers" -- e.g. the Model 8 (or, 14, 81, 181, 14r, etc.) -- also take downs -- complemented them, or , each other .
    'Tis kind of funny to me, in a sick sort of way, is the article from which I read this info also added that it is presently a major crime to travel on any choo-choo train with -- even packed -- a firearm.
    Frankly, my *LOVE* of the Model 12, Model 8, and my Model 14 is perhaps the throw-back to the TIMES they were current. My thoughts suggest life was a lot simpler, and in soooo many ways better back then...
    Again -- thanks for the photo posting, and enjoy your new to you treasures!
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    Vintage American walnut and blue steel! Last two shows I went to I harvested four guns, a Winchester Model 70 in the grand old .30/06 made in 1953, which filled a slot in my collection and proved very satisfying at the range having fired a total of twelve shots.

True happiness and smiles like when I was a boy came with the other three guns I bought this year though, three vintage .22 rifles. Number of shots fired, doesn't matter, several hundred I imagine. First, a Marlin 39A built in 1969. This 19 shooter, (20 with one in the chamber, talk about loadi'n up on Sunday and shooti'n all week long!) may well be my choice for the most useful over-all .22 ever made. Accuracy is astounding from a bench with a scope mounted, carries like an extension of myself, is very well made, smooth as soft butter, and it just plain works! I confess though, it's not ALL American walnut and blue steel, there's the butplate and gripcap made of some kind of plastic, and the hammer extension, though factory JM is alloy, but close enough. Any post war kid would love to have one and treasure it as his/her prize possession!

This next one is a true American walnut and steel .22 rifle, a Remington 121 Fieldmaster made in 1940. No plastic-no alloy, just steel and walnut. When I bought it, I thought I might pass it along with a small profit. After-all, a Remington pump .22? It can't possibly match the accuracy of the Marlin? Nope, not off the bench, and to scope it would ruin it by drilling holes, however, it fits just right and has clearer sights than the Marlin, and out-shoots the Marlin every time off-hand! This old Remington ain't goi'n away! What a joy to plink with! Pieces of shale on the back-stop don't stand a chance with that Remington in hand!

The third .22 rifle, well it's a bit more modern with some plastic, butplate, magazine, and short barrel shroud including the rear sight. It's the engineering, design, accuracy, and strength of this little bolt action that paints a smile on my face when I shoot it. Made in 1975, sort of a mini Remington 788 centerfire rifle. The 581 certainly has enough going for it, I wonder why it's still not in production, (other than cost to build). Remington's 580 series stands as the base for not only the 541 series, but the heart and soul of the Remington 540X match rifle. I never had a .22 match rifle other than an old Remington 513T, but this little rifle with a Weaver 4X scope makes my brother sweat when shooting groups beside his beloved Winchester 52C with Redfield Olympic sights using the same ammo. It's yet to beat the 52C, but gives it something to worry about!

All in all, I've found a renewed love for the .22 rifle such as I had as a boy! I think one, and just one more .22 rifle will complete and satisfy my love for the .22rf. cartridge, another Remington 513T with the Redfield Olympic sights and maybe even a Unertl 16 or 20X scope. A Hi-Lux 20X...
    In my opinion Remington could be a big player with reintroduction of the 580/540 788 and add to that a CF action sized for Hornet based cases. That mid size action could also be used for 357 & 327 size cases.

I have a friend who was a Winchester rep back in the day when being a Winchester factory rep meant something. He also thought they were missing the ball. The 580/540 series would definitely be competitive entries into a lot of competition that is popular today. I’m absolutely certain their manufacture on CNC machinery would be even more efficient than it was when they were doing it on automatic screw machines.

My dad's main hunting rifle was a Remington 141 in .35 Rem. My brother has had it for the past 50 or so years, I doubt it's been shot since the late 1970's. He still has the two box's of ammo dad bought in the 1950's for it.

Kind of a side note to a Remington pump rifle I noticed at some of the shows I attend, the Model 25. A mid-size rifle resembling the Model 12 closely chambered in .25/20 and .32/20. Made 1922-1937 they weren't very popular due to their calibers apparently, but probably made a good grab and go farm gun. I never took much notice to them until they began appearing at shows lately at about the $450. mark in good shape.

I agree with you, George. Owning and shooting guns from our parent's prime, (depression to the 1970's) is like a temporary port to that world, and yup, that world was SO much better than the one that's deteriorated from 1980 or so. I would venture to say that to produce the checkered Remington marked steel butplate on my 121 would exceed the original cost of the rifle new these days. Quality hasn't gone out of fashion, it's simply gotten too expensive to afford new these days.

Quote Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
    In my opinion Remington could be a big player with reintroduction of the 580/540 788 and add to that a CF action sized for Hornet based cases. That mid size action could also be used for 357 & 327 size cases.

I have a friend who was a Winchester rep back in the day when being a Winchester factory rep meant something. He also thought they were missing the ball. The 580/540 series would definitely be competitive entries into a lot of competition that is popular today. I’m absolutely certain their manufacture on CNC machinery would be even more efficient than it was when they were doing it on automatic screw machines.
    Like a lot of things, we don't appreciate them while we have them. I bought the wife a 581 in the late 70's so we could squirrel hunt together, (my rifle was a 512 tube feed). I didn't pay much for either, and didn't appreciate them at the time for the great rifles they were. The 540-580-590 series of rifles were strong way beyond the cartridges they chambered, and accurate, (with some trigger work) to compete against a lot of match rifles. You're right about the 788 also, strong, light, and match grade accurate. Friends and family have had them in .22/250, .243, and .308. All have proven strong, accurate, and dependable rifles way beyond their, ''hardware store'' price point.

Just one thing on a successful mid size type reintroduction 788 rifle, it would need to be chambered in .223 also, and maybe even make it compatable with AR/M16 magazines. I'd buy one in a heart-beat!

Moderator Emeritus

Ithica Gunner -- a GREAT read, imho, is The Great Model 8: And Model 81 Autoloading Rifles. It's a hardcover, and may be purchased vis Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Great-Remingt.../dp/0889352917 Another great read is The Classic Remington Model 14 & 141 by Ken Blauch, who was (he most sadly passed a year or two ago ) most (understatement!) knowledgeable on pretty much all Remington pump arms, and was most generous to share his knowledge. We exchanged quite a few emails where he answered questions I had. Sometimes the latter book appears vis sellers like Abe's Books or eBay.
    geo

Trouble with a Remington Model 8/81 is if I read about em, I'd want one! They're very cool rifles and I love watching them in action. However, here in PA our game commission outlawed semi auto rifles almost as soon as the first one came to fruitation. Hence, these rifles are scarce here and hardly ever show up in gun stores or shows. I'd have to take my chances and import one from another state.

I've got my eyes on a couple of books on classic American walnut and blue steel .22's by Bill Ward, vol I&II.

I guess this is as close as you get to a Model 8/81 in rimfire,

Name:	JoY9a2lh.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	318773

Boolit Buddy
    I too like the old iron/vintage rifles. I have a Winchester model 70 featherweight in 30-06 built in 1955 that is the most accurate production sporter in a big game caliber I have ever owned. It consistently puts the first 3 shots from a cold barrel well under 1 inch at 100 yards with its preferred loads. Then you have to let it cool completely to repeat the performance. Perfectly fine for a hunting rifle. Used to have a Remington 581 (wished I still had it) that was replaced by a 541s that shoots ragged hole groups at 50 with match ammo.

Same here with the Model 70, though mine is a standard 1953 production .30/06. I have more accurate rifles, but they're a great deal heavier than a standard ''sporter'' and have premium fat barrels screwed to their receivers. The 581 I've only shot my standard ammo out of and it more than satisfies. Just for a giggle factor I may do a search for the ammo it REALLY likes and shoot some braggi'n groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt H View Post
    I too like the old iron/vintage rifles. I have a Winchester model 70 featherweight in 30-06 built in 1955 that is the most accurate production sporter in a big game caliber I have ever owned. It consistently puts the first 3 shots from a cold barrel well under 1 inch at 100 yards with its preferred loads. Then you have to let it cool completely to repeat the performance. Perfectly fine for a hunting rifle. Used to have a Remington 581 (wished I still had it) that was replaced by a 541s that shoots ragged hole groups at 50 with match ammo.
    If anyone wants one(Winchester pre-64 30-06 Featherweight), I shipped one in the original box down to a store I am associated with in Alabama. An older Leupold scope was on it. PM for the info. Won't be cheap! I have a 1930 Winchester 54 in 30WCF that is my Cast Bullet gun with a Palma sight on top. It wins for me!
    NO APPLAUSE......JUST THROW MONEY!

I was shooting Remington .22s until I got my CZs. I have a 580, a 581, a 513T(2), a 541T sporter, a 541S, and a 510 I redid for the young juniors to shoot like a 513T. I just sold my 788 in 30-30, and my deer rifle is a Remington 600 in .308.
    NO APPLAUSE......JUST THROW MONEY!

The 540/580 series had the fastest lock time of any of the remington rimfires that remington put out. They're a pure joy to shoot offhand.

This last year I sold off the last of my 22lr rifles, just don't shoot them anymore. Figured it's better to have other people enjoy them rather that letting them sit around and get oiled twice a year.

Shot a lot of silhouettes with this m540x
    [IMG][/IMG]

Same with this pair of 541-s sporters
    [IMG][/IMG]

Always enjoyed the remington 513 series rifles. Most have owned/used/shot the 513-t target rifle. Remengton did put out a sporter version of the 513-t. Used this 513-s for years
    [IMG][/IMG]

Had this remington 12c for a long before selling it. Never could find a 1st year 12c (1909). This 1 was made in 1911
    [IMG][/IMG]

Hard to beat the older remingtons

You're right Forrest, it's hard to beat those old Remington .22's! I almost have my .22 ''Dream Team'' assembled, Remington 581, Remington 121, Marlin 39A, and a nicely stocked Ruger 10/22. One more and I'll have it, a Remington 513-T or a 37.

Boolit Master

I picked up a 1932 Winchester 52 recently. It will still shoot!

Name:	IMG_20230914_162924894_compress45.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	320355

Name:	IMG_20230914_161530189_compress73.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	320356

Boolit Master

Beautiful rifles guys.

Don't waste your breath hoping "Remington would realize..." The Remington that made all those grand old guns simply does not exist anymore. What a grand company it was. Positively OWNED the postwar market through maybe the 80s or possibly even the early 90s. I think the official date of death was like 2007 but the writing was on the wall for years.

I'll stop ranting now.

Moderator Emeritus

Forrest R -- I have two Remington 12s -- one is a plain-Jane Model 12, and the other is a Model 12C. The latter (12C) was a New York City shooting gallery gun my maternal grandad bought when the gallery owner brought a few into the saloon next door where grandpa was having a beer or two (or three?)
    I love them both!
    geo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast