MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Got in the coyotes the other night.

Boolit Master

Got in the coyotes the other night.

Last weekend the wife and I drove by the field we deer hunt in and saw 2 coyotes sneaking up on a bunch of turkeys, we stopped and hollered at them, did not have a rifle with us but saved the turkeys. I went back Monday evening about a hour before dark, set up a chair in front of round haybale, with cross sticks and a .243 Rem 700, stoked with 70 gr Matchkings running hot, that shoot tiny little groups. The wife dropped me off in the ranger, and left and 15 minutes later a young yote pops up at 310 yds. My farthest shot in any direction is 320yds. I wait for him to turn sideways and let her rip, Whop! I pulled the shot a little due to the crappy X Mark trigger and gut shot him, he bawled, squalled and made all kinds of racket. In a instant 2 of his litter mates popped out about 200 plus yards running like hell, so what got him did not get them. I burnt the hair off of one of them, hit him in the butt and just speeded him up. I had about 40 minutes of light left, and the wife texted me, asked if I got one, I told her yes, but wait till dark to come and get me. About 30 minutes later, to my suprise, a huge big old gray dog pops up at 275 yd, across the field from where I shot the other one. I switched my sticks around to get on him, when I had he stretched and started scratching the ground, marking it. At the crack of the rifle I once again heard the WHOP of the bullet impacting him, he reared up and fell back down, DRT. This was a productive sit, will be doing it again in a day or two. Felt good to be able to get back a little of my old self, after all the illness I hae been thru the last 6 years.

Vendor Sponsor

W t g!!

Well this is weird,, the site won't let me begin this reply with WTG in uppercase! Keeps changing to lower case..
    Last edited by DougGuy; 10-06-2023 at 10:26 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Nice double!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Git em, Sam!

Boolit Master
    Congrats!!! -06

You doing good . Keep it up. You found a good spot to get them. If it is in fur season, you could make something to pay for the ammo. You will come out ahead more ways then one. Just a idea .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    W t g!!

Well this is weird,, the site won't let me begin this reply with WTG in uppercase! Keeps changing to lower case..
    WTG! It just thinks you are typing a sentence. Have to make each one a capital letter.

Nice job getting gack in the saddle. Damn yotes decimated our turkeys for years. Counted 14 hens the other day that ran across our driveway. Used to have three distinct flocks larger than that.

Good deal, yotes are real bad on ground nesting birds. We have quail and turkeys, so I shoot every yote I can, trying to help the game birds.

Missed a full black the other day. There were two reported and photoed together, in our area. Saw a movement out the back window, but by the time I got the rifle and myself out through the screen door on the porch, the black made the brush line about 150 yards out. It was trotting through the trees when I first saw it and then it turned the dog trot into a full run when I opened the inside door and the weather seal made a squeek. Otherwise the 6mm would have added another yote to its tally. Sprayed the seal with silicone. Tomorrow is another day and the yote will be back, unless someone else gets it first.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Had a "wildlife expert" tell me that coyotes aren't serious predators on turkey, I say BS! More than once, I've called them in with a turkey call. They weren't coming in to say "HI"

Boolit Master

I like that same bullet in my 6mm Remington Varmint Deluxe I have yet to hit a coyote but it works great on ground hogs and feral cats . I think I may have even hit a chipmunk at 100 yards but there was not enough left to confirm it. My gun shoots 85 & 100 grain bullets better but I like the 70 grain HPBT better.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    Had a "wildlife expert" tell me that coyotes aren't serious predators on turkey, I say BS! More than once, I've called them in with a turkey call. They weren't coming in to say "HI"
    I was just going to suggest that to the OP.

........ using a turkey call to draw in the coyotes........

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    The coyotes are doing a real bad damage on the deer population here where I hunt ! Few deer but lots of coyotes ! Turkeys seam to be doing better ??

Boolit Master
    About 20 years ago my 18-22 year old son killed over 300 in a 5 year span. Last year we had a flock of about 50 male and hens also a flock of males of about 20, this year have not seen 2. Yotes are all around the Indianapolis Airport area. There are several 100 acres where there is no hunting with only 6 houses in the area. Ours is one of the 6, it yields 25-50 yotes a year, mot to the .22.

Boolit Master

Twice in my life I have seen turkeys bait coyotes out in front of a hunter the first time and second time to my back yard to get they shot!

Several of us where asked to deer hunt a guys land one year and to shoot any coyote we saw . I was sitting on the side of a hill when a turkey came out down the two track I was looking down , the turkey looked at me and looked back then crossed the trail , this repeated with several more turkeys. The last bird was followed by a coyote I drilled him with a smokeless load in my 50-3 1/4" sharps 450 grain cast bullet @ a 1725 f/s DRT . The next time was about 6 miles south and 30 years later when two turkeys were acting odd in my back yard . A coyote came out of the woods I grabbed the Mini - 14 but the noise of the sliding screen door chased the coyote off before I could shoot .

Turkeys are smart but that is really smart like a squirrel I watched in town that would get dogs to chase them into the street in front of a car. Being residential 25 mph limit the drivers never hit the dog but some came close . If you think about it that would be like using a tool kind of smart!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Ive been having a coyote come in the yard and grab a chicken. Could always get away before me and the dogs could catch up to him. One day last week I came by the window to see the chickens turkeys and the yard pig go running past. I grabbed the 10-22 and ran outside. My two border collies had him bayed about 200 yds from the house. Hurrying as fast as my 67 year old legs would go I got within about 30 yds and waited for a gap in the storm. The coyote was fighting for his life but border collies are not known as good kill dogs. However they were tag teaming him front and back. After a bit I got a gap and give him one in the shoulder area. To my surprise he went down right there. The dogs backed up and I gave him another just because. The pig was coming as fast as his short legs could move his fat ass. We got there at the same time but the yote was already dead. Ole pork chop the pig bit him a couple times anyway. He thinks he’s a dog
    Exciting times that morning.
    Woody
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Good deal, yotes are real bad on ground nesting birds. We have quail and turkeys, so I shoot every yote I can, trying to help the game birds.

Missed a full black the other day. There were two reported and photoed together, in our area. Saw a movement out the back window, but by the time I got the rifle and myself out through the screen door on the porch, the black made the brush line about 150 yards out. It was trotting through the trees when I first saw it and then it turned the dog trot into a full run when I opened the inside door and the weather seal made a squeek. Otherwise the 6mm would have added another yote to its tally. Sprayed the seal with silicone. Tomorrow is another day and the yote will be back, unless someone else gets it first.
    Wheeeew doggie, a full black! I’d be spending some time on him!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    Ive been having a coyote come in the yard and grab a chicken. Could always get away before me and the dogs could catch up to him. One day last week I came by the window to see the chickens turkeys and the yard pig go running past. I grabbed the 10-22 and ran outside. My two border collies had him bayed about 200 yds from the house. Hurrying as fast as my 67 year old legs would go I got within about 30 yds and waited for a gap in the storm. The coyote was fighting for his life but border collies are not known as good kill dogs. However they were tag teaming him front and back. After a bit I got a gap and give him one in the shoulder area. To my surprise he went down right there. The dogs backed up and I gave him another just because. The pig was coming as fast as his short legs could move his fat ass. We got there at the same time but the yote was already dead. Ole pork chop the pig bit him a couple times anyway. He thinks he’s a dog
    Exciting times that morning.
    Woody
    Any pig that bites a coyote is a keeper in my book!

I will be trapping them again this fur season in November. Like I always do . I have a market with the one I sell my furs to. Also my other furs . Too many underestimate the coyote for all they can do to live.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Last weekend the wife and I drove by the field we deer hunt in and saw 2 coyotes sneaking up on a bunch of turkeys, we stopped and hollered at them, did not have a rifle with us but saved the turkeys. I went back Monday evening about a hour before dark, set up a chair in front of round haybale, with cross sticks and a .243 Rem 700, stoked with 70 gr Matchkings running hot, that shoot tiny little groups. The wife dropped me off in the ranger, and left and 15 minutes later a young yote pops up at 310 yds. My farthest shot in any direction is 320yds. I wait for him to turn sideways and let her rip, Whop! I pulled the shot a little due to the crappy X Mark trigger and gut shot him, he bawled, squalled and made all kinds of racket. In a instant 2 of his litter mates popped out about 200 plus yards running like hell, so what got him did not get them. I burnt the hair off of one of them, hit him in the butt and just speeded him up. I had about 40 minutes of light left, and the wife texted me, asked if I got one, I told her yes, but wait till dark to come and get me. About 30 minutes later, to my suprise, a huge big old gray dog pops up at 275 yd, across the field from where I shot the other one. I switched my sticks around to get on him, when I had he stretched and started scratching the ground, marking it. At the crack of the rifle I once again heard the WHOP of the bullet impacting him, he reared up and fell back down, DRT. This was a productive sit, will be doing it again in a day or two. Felt good to be able to get back a little of my old self, after all the illness I hae been thru the last 6 years.
    Excellent glad to hear you are back in the saddle
    going to do the same thing here in a couple of days after I get done fishing
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Good job. Only a few million more to go.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle