Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Occasionally key holeing and crappy accuracy

Boolit Master
    I suspect it was undersized. Adding PC increased the size enough to fit properly. I will guess that you did not size them after application of the powder coat. If this is the case then the fliers could simply be bullets where the PC was not as thick.

Try the bullets as they come out of the mold and don't size them. Just lube and shoot. FWIW, the Lee molds were designed such that they would produce proper size bullets using WW alloy. For a couple decades I used the .45 bullets (RN, SWC and TC) without sizing. Cast, pan lube and fired.

Boolit Man
    They were sized after PC with lee sizing die to .452
    I tried lee lube (Alox), even using the smallest amount a drop less than the size of a pea for 50 bullets let dry for ever. Could not get rid of the tacky feel. Like the stuff would never dry, have used it for years before PC never had that, problem even cut with some mineral spirits still tacky. That's why I went back to PC.

Boolit Man
    200 grain rim rock. 5.2 grains of hp38, loaded to 1.2 oal.
    Problem solved!
    10 shots at 33 yds off a rest 7 in a 2 inch circles with the other 3 just outside of 2 inches attribute those to shooter error.

Boolit Man
    I believe the problem I was having with the bullet I cast was to thick of a powder coat.
    KKM kinda confirmed my suspicions when they sent my barrel back after a custom throat job of which they charged me nothing. Can't say enough about that company. They do a number 1 job on their barrels and will go the extra mile to make sure your happy with your barrel.

Boolit Man
    I want to thank everyone that has posted helpful comments on here. I usually find this site of great Help with the exception of muskeg13.
    I did not slug my barrel for the simple reason that it came from KKM a precision barrel manufacturer everybody can make a mistake, but the chances of a barrel leaving their shop with a bore size not to spec. Was highly unlikely.

Boolit Master
    Well, sorry that you felt it necessary to slap someone trying to help. I would have made the same suggestion given the steps in the process to be made. The process in finding a solution is to do the easy (cheap) steps first. I suspect your comment will result in fewer offering reasonable suggestions in the future. Consider an apology.