RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP: Rossi 92 with 38SPL SWC and WC loads

Question HELP: Rossi 92 with 38SPL SWC and WC loads

Hey guys, I saw some posts about users shimming the Rossi 1892 to feed 38SPL better. My new R92 has issues with 38SPL WC (lengthened to 1.4") and 357 SWC loads. I can get about 3 rounds in and then they get stuck. 357 RN catridges load up fine though.

What can I do to help load 38SPL WC and SWC loads?

thanks!
    N
    CMAT GMAU

You can change the follower on it ,because that gives some a problem. I was able to feed SWC in my without a problem but WC need to feed them one at a time ,unless you have them out some. I had a different problem on my that broke and brought it to my gunsmith and had him change a few things on it besides fixing the broken part. It works better. I did not change any of the springs on the video . I made up my own leather for the lever . Make it easy on the hands.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master
    I doubt you will get WC's to feed. I had to play with OAL on the .38 Spl's. 1.44" IIRC
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    My Rossi R92 shoots 158 grain RNFP just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I doubt you will get WC's to feed. I had to play with OAL on the .38 Spl's. 1.44" IIRC
    Did you change your powder charge since the bullet was more shallow and had less pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CMAT GMAU

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MuayThaiJJ View Post
    Did you change your powder charge since the bullet was more shallow and had less pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I prefer not to share load data but you are correct. You can up the charge a bit with more case volume.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Both of my Rossi's will feed wadcutters if they are crimped in the middle lube groove. That said I don't bother shooting them in it. Both guns shine with Lee 125 RNFP and Lee 158 TLSWC.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Here's my solution to the problem. FWIW, mine likes its boolits sized small. .3565" Powder coated is better. I've done lubed, too. Less bore fouling at rifle velocities.
    A flush seated WC will eject instead of feed into the chamber, in my gun anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wad.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	318722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rook4.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	318723
    Last edited by Charlie Horse; 10-07-2023 at 09:13 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    Both of my Rossi's will feed wadcutters if they are crimped in the middle lube groove. That said I don't bother shooting them in it. Both guns shine with Lee 125 RNFP and Lee 158 TLSWC.
    dammit now I need to buy more molds

Boolit Grand Master

You lever guys need to take a look at the Lyman #358432 - 160 gr. wadcutter bullet .
    Note Lyman also made this in a 140 gr. weight with the same number , so watch the old moulds ...they can be 140 gr. or 160 gr.

This design is discontinued by Lyman but a new mould is available fron NOE , as NOE 360-160-WC PB it is 160 grains .

This boolit is designed to sit out of the case , sorta like a SWC , but has a WC nose with a slightly rounded shoulder . The top driving band is full caliber and cuts a clean hole and there is a good crimp groove below the top driving band .
    This design just looks like it would feed .

I don't know how to make drawings/photo's appear in my post or I would have put them for you to see ( I'm old and computer ignorant) I have a gut feeling this boolit design will feed through a lever action .

I can tell you this ... this boolit design is the most accurate in every one of my 38 and 357 revolvers ... it will shoot 15 shots into 1 ragged hole 1 1/2 " across with my model 64 S&W 38 Special revolver .

You lever guy's need to check this boolit out ... it could be a winner !
    Not a lot of people know of this boolit design and it's potential but it's a great design ... when I saw NOE was making them I had ordered a 4 cavity before I knew what hit me ...it's about the only 38 special boolit I cast and load ... my nightstand gun is loaded with them !

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 10-07-2023 at 06:42 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

sounds cool thanks
    CMAT GMAU

Boolit Buddy
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master
    WHY ?
    why do you guys want to feed wadcutters in a lever gun ? do you not have enough things to annoy you already !!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    WHY ?
    why do you guys want to feed wadcutters in a lever gun ? do you not have enough things to annoy you already !!!!
    ^^This…^^
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    You lever guys need to take a look at the Lyman #358432 - 160 gr. wadcutter bullet .
    Note Lyman also made this in a 140 gr. weight with the same number , so watch the old moulds ...they can be 140 gr. or 160 gr.

This design is discontinued by Lyman but a new mould is available fron NOE , as NOE 360-160-WC PB it is 160 grains .

This boolit is designed to sit out of the case , sorta like a SWC , but has a WC nose with a slightly rounded shoulder . The top driving band is full caliber and cuts a clean hole and there is a good crimp groove below the top driving band .
    This design just looks like it would feed .

I don't know how to make drawings/photo's appear in my post or I would have put them for you to see ( I'm old and computer ignorant) I have a gut feeling this boolit design will feed through a lever action .

I can tell you this ... this boolit design is the most accurate in every one of my 38 and 357 revolvers ... it will shoot 15 shots into 1 ragged hole 1 1/2 " across with my model 64 S&W 38 Special revolver .

You lever guy's need to check this boolit out ... it could be a winner !
    Not a lot of people know of this boolit design and it's potential but it's a great design ... when I saw NOE was making them I had ordered a 4 cavity before I knew what hit me ...it's about the only 38 special boolit I cast and load ... my nightstand gun is loaded with them !

Gary
    I have heard that WC's tend to lose accuracy past 50 yards. Not sure why that is.

Might just be an old wives tale?

Have you shot groups at 100 yards, and if so, how did they look?
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    Yes , this is the Boolit I was talking about .
    Thanks so much for posting the photo I owe you one !
    I wish I knew how to perform this Magic ... but like a lot of computer stuff it eludes my abilities .

Kenton , I realy appreciate the help ... Thanks Again !

I have a feeling this wadcutter just might feed better in a lever action 38/357 .
    I have a 4 cavity mould but no lever gun to try it in .
    I believe a fellow member may use it with success in his ... but , of course , I can't remember who he is ...yeah GOS (getting old sucks) .

If I had a 38/357 model 92 lever gun with open sights it would be my house gun , in the yard and chicken coop protector ... 50 yards would be my distance to shoot to .
    At 100 yards it's 30-30 or 30-06 and a scope ... the eyes are getting old and need help.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 10-09-2023 at 05:48 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    The issue about feeding SWCs or WCs thru the 1892 action has been known for many, many years. Remember, the cartridge is resting on the carrier at an angle to the bore axis. Similar to the way it does in an auto-loader. Do those feed SWCs or WCs readily? The short answer is, NO. Not without work to the chamber mouth, aka, "ramp" in the 1911, for example. Working that area in a high pressure cartridge like the 44Mag must be done with extreme care to ensure full support of the cartridge web. The meplat of the bullet can only be of a certain diameter in order for the cartridge to make the transition from angle to horizontal in the confines of the chamber. The wider the meplat, and further from the mouth of the case the less room there is to make that transition. The more square the angle of the mouth end of the barrel to the chamber, the less likely the flat shape of a WC will be guided into the chamber. If your carrier sits a little low or too high, the more likely your bullet nose (of whatever shape) will interfere with the chamber mouth. Also remember this rifle design was made to operate the "dash caliber" rounds of the time. All were of a slight bottle-neck and used round, flat nose bullets. Trying force a straight walled case and wide meplat bullets in the same envelope requires some out of the box thinking and solutions. What works in a revolver is not going to necessarily work flawlessly in an 1892. If yours does, you got lucky. Besides, there's nothing a RFN can't do that a WC does, except cut neat holes in paper.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

dverna, not an old wives tale. A wad cutter has the BC of a brick, it quickly sheds velocity and stability. Good for pistol target work.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    dverna, not an old wives tale. A wad cutter has the BC of a brick, it quickly sheds velocity and stability. Good for pistol target work.
    TY sir. I have shot 10’s of thousands of WC’s, but never past 50 yards. Good to know
    Don Verna

Yeah I tapped out. I just bought 7.5k RNFP bullets lol
    I'll load the WC for my revolvers
    CMAT GMAU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast