RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Carbide sizers for bottle neck cartridges

Boolit Bub

Carbide sizers for bottle neck cartridges

Anybody use these? I messed up the sizer button on my Hornady die in 223 so went shopping for parts or a new die. I see RCBS makes a carbide/tungsten die set for the 223. I love using carbide on straight wall cartridges but I wonder if I would have the same results with a bottle neck cartridge. I feel I would still have to lube the inside of the necks. If I did this would pretty much negate any advantage to using them. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

I have not used carbide dies for bottleneck cases, but when I damaged my decapping stem for my RCBS .223 dies I ordered this. Man it really makes a difference. Not sure it would work on Hornady dies but they may make a replacement.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018114656?pid=136677
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

I used the Redding version of the carbide expander button.

https://www.redding-reloading.com/on...ze-button-kits
    Carbide Size Button Kits
    Make inside neck sizing smoother and easier without lubrication. Now you can upgrade your die sets with a carbide size button kit.

Dillon makes carbide sizing dies for .223, 308, 300BO and 30/06 but with those you still need lube. They are for high volume users
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-06-2023 at 12:13 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

My press seemed to eat expander balls for .223.
    I switched over to a carbide one and so far, it's been fine.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Endwrench; If your question is about using carbide full length, bottle neck, sizing dies they do work but still require case lubrication. I bought one, a carbide die, years ago from Dillon for 223 as I was wearing out steel sizing dies. Steel dies wear at the neck shoulder junction which will cause chambering problems. Carbide dies last a lot longer. One time I missed lubing a case and the bottom half of the carbide insert, the carbide was in two pieces, body and neck/shoulder, pulled out of the steel outer die shell. I don't recall how I solved that problem.

Hope this helps.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the advice and feedback. Looks like the Lyman expander won't fit the Hornady but will fit the RCBS if I go that route. The Redding might fit though. I'll probably go ahead and buy the tungsten RCBS dies. I load quite a bit of 223. The Hornady dies probably have over 10,000 rounds through them and I've stuck cases in them at least 3 times that I remember. I can be a little frugal with th lube sometimes!

My experience has been that Hornady Dies are more likely to have cases get stuck than the other popular brands. I gave up on Hornady in 223 and 300BLK.

As has been said, the carbide for a bottle neck still needs lube. The dies I have looked at, only have a ring at the base, same as a straight wall cartridge sizing die. So you still need to lube the neck and shoulder area. I just clean then lube my cases for the Dillon and PW progressives, makes life much easier, to do all of the steps before a case gets stuck, and then you must drill and tap the case to pull it. An ounce of prevention and all of that.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    GONRA wonders if you "Stuck Case Guys" made One Last Try using STP Oil Treatment for case lube? ??
    Bet Yer dies are Just Fine! !!

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    GONRA wonders if you "Stuck Case Guys" made One Last Try using STP Oil Treatment for case lube? ??
    Bet Yer dies are Just Fine! !!
    I bought a bottle of STP for case lube ten or twenty years ago. I put some on my lube pad about every five years. My descendants will inherit what's left after I am gone.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

I use the STP, as well; the Lyman Lube that came with my kit is also good stuff. They both work really well, but the fact is -for me- that the Hornady dies are still more likely to get a stuck case than the other manufacturers’ dies. I like using Hornady One Shot spray lube for progressive reloading and can’t do it when using the Hornady Dies (referencing 223 and 300BLK). I have even tried using Hornady’s without the neck expanding-decamping pin installed-No Joy.

I run Dillon 223 and 308 carbide dies for years now. Money well spent.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    The dies I have looked at, only have a ring at the base, same as a straight wall cartridge sizing die. So you still need to lube the neck and shoulder area.
    Dillion is the only one I am aware of that makes carbide dies for bottleneck cases. I have them in 223, 308 and 30/06. The carbide is a two-piece design. The first piece of carbide is full length of the body taper. The second piece of carbide is the shoulder and neck. It's the body taper that requires lube to not stick. The reason they are made from carbide is carbide lasts a lot longer before die wear becomes an issue. On one of my 233 carbide dies I did have the body taper part pull out at about 40K to 50K. I used Loctite 680 on it. I don't expect it ever to come out again but just in case I did purchase a spare.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Lyman also offers a limited selection of carbide rifle sizing dies. They come with a carbide expander, and still require case lube. The die body is made of stainless steel, which is a nice touch. Essentially the same price as Dillon's carbide dies. Graf's actually has some Lyman dies in stock, IIRC.

ETA: I was mistaken about the price; the Lyman die is significantly more expensive than the Dillon die but Dillon's dies are backordered, even from the manufacturer.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, I was not aware of the Lyman. Any idea when they started making them?

For bottle neck cases they use two carbide inserts like Dillon. https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...de-sizing-dies

For the bottle neck cases both the Lyman and Dillion are around $250.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-17-2023 at 01:34 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    It's been in the last 1-2 years that Lyman began making them, AFAIK.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    My experience has been that Hornady Dies are more likely to have cases get stuck than the other popular brands. I gave up on Hornady in 223 and 300BLK.
    +1 on this!
    Same like every time I use them I wound up with the stuck case! Didn’t matter how much, how little, what type case lube I used no difference! Switch to RCBS, No more problems
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Bub
    Humm, just as an aside from my original post, RCBS does NOT make tungsten/ carbide dies as I was told by the idiot at the gun shop! Apparently T/C stands for Taper Crimp!! Ha!