Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walked around the rear of the house.....

Just a couple of hours ago....I found a yellow jacket wasp crawling around inside my truck while I was cruising down a twisty country road.

I was concerned that if I did not remove him he was going to crawl under my leg get squished and sting me when I wasn't ready for it.

These little bees feel like a hot piece of metal being pressed up against your leg it's not the worst thing in the world but it is distracting and I'm operating a big ass pickup truck on a little road.

So I did the only reasonable thing which was I pulled over put my hazards on and picked him up with a piece of paper and shook him outside the window and he flew on his merry way.

There's a time for killing and then there's a time for peace. Build disgusting wasp nests above the doorways going into my home and the difference can be discovered.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Yellow jackets around here have a terrible attitude.

I think they go around looking for people so they can sting them, then fly away laughing about it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

The mean ones around here are the Virginia European hornets. Around this time of the year they're storing food so that the nest can survive the winter. It makes them abnormally aggressive and they're targeting two things apples and flesh. I've been chased away from a barbecue by a swarm of these things and they are strong enough that they can remove pieces of steak off of a t-bone with their mandibles and then fly away with a piece of meat. They got a big ugly red face, they are as long as your finger and they sound like a small DJI drone when they fly. Other than all those negatives I think they're fascinating I just hope I never see one again

A good way to kill large hornets is to staple raw chicken to a piece of plywood and then hang that up upside down a couple of inches above a tupperware or a bucket full of soapy water. They eat and eat and eat until they're too heavy to fly then they fall in the water and drown. The best part is since you're not stepping on them they don't release the chemical pheromones for swarm and attack.

Boolit Grand Master

Hopefuly theres not a vent under the net or it may also run down inside the wall. If so it may be bigger inside than out

There's a guy I think in Japan where they have those really bad hornets that will kill an entire honey bee hive.

He takes a couple of those stick 'em/glue rat traps and puts them on top of the bee's hive box.
    Then kills one and put it on there too. It releases some sort "I need help" scent that calls all the rest of them.
    Within a few minutes, all the rest of the hornets come to the funeral and get stuck too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

I went to move my homemade boat trailer and got nailed by wasps. They had built a nest in the front cross brace tube... I waited for them to settle down, snuck up on them with the 12 gauge and a blank. Stuck the shotgun in the end of the tube and BANG! Blew them and their nest out the other end in pieces. Had to stomp 3 or 4 that survived but were to stunned to fly...

I get paper wasps every year, go through 4-5 cans of spray hosing them down from around the deck and over the front door. Got to the point I can pick one out of mid air with a burst of spray.

Moderator Emeritus

Just saw the same thing yesterday. I took the pic after whacking it once. Nest was empty as we have had a few cold days and now in the cold season (to me at least). #6 had good info on them being beneficial which I didn't know. Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0 (12).jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	318720

Boolit Master

Some part of the medical / pharma industry uses hornet stingers for research or anti-venom. I watched a discovery channel show about how the harvest them
    The daughter in Michigan had ground wasps (yellow jackets?) in an underground nest by her front door. Her sister in law gave her the # of a local team that removes them for free. They sell them to research facilities.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Some part of the medical / pharma industry uses hornet stingers for research or anti-venom. I watched a discovery channel show about how the harvest them
    The daughter in Michigan had ground wasps (yellow jackets?) in an underground nest by her front door. Her sister in law gave her the # of a local team that removes them for free. They sell them to research facilities.
    My idiot neighbor mixed gas and diesel 50/50 and poured it down a ground wasp nest. He backed up and tossed in a flare... the fumes were just right to be explosive... left a crater in the boulevard, damaged the gas line that ran right under the hole... cost him a bundle to get it all repaired!

Boolit Bub
    We had a wasp nest in the ground down the back of our section a few years ago.

Upon advice I filled 2 buckets with sand and quietly placed them near by during the day.
    Came back at night and quickly poured 2lt of diesel down the hole and covered it with the sand, first thing in the morning I delt to the stragglers when it was still cold

Boolit Master

Winger Ed Jimmy Crack corn was about a boy who was drunk on corn whiskey after he swatted his masters horse and blaming it on the blue tailed fly .

Earlier in the year I had a invasion of the large European wasps but they all went away mid July?

I have been stung terribly by ground yellow jackets once was walking though a field with swim suit and t-shirt on first thought was I had walked into nettles , Looking down both legs were covered in wasps ! I ran though the weeds and got them off but the mile walk back to my car was painful as heck! At home I took a couple Benadryl and a cold bath it was a painful couple of days.
    I did go back and wipe them out the hole was three inches around a ounce of Dionizon (sp) and a quart of gas was poured in and a rock placed on the hole . The fumes will kill the live ones the poison was for the eggs & grubs . I had heavy clothing on boots head net for the task and did not get anymore stings .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've noticed over the years when I have been cutting down trees and find I am standing on a ground hornets nest, I tend to leave the chain saw right there when leaving the area. Requiring going back to get the chain saw!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I do believe that these are bald faced wasps, as offered in Post #6, as I've examined some of the dead ones lying on the ground and they have white faces. I'm sure that the winter will kill them. They haven't been aggressive at all.

At the same time, every morning the frost on the metal roof melts and drips onto the ground, especially noticeable on my paved parking area on the west side of the house. There will be several hundred small bees show up to drink the water. Sometimes a couple of hundred will be all lined up along the drip line on the blacktop drinking. They are also non-aggressive, and I haven't been stung by anybody this Fall.

On the other hand, like waksupi, I've had some memorable experiences with ground hornets. I was mowing a grassy area under some oak trees where I used to live over in the Coast Range, and my dachshund was supervising. Suddenly I heard him whining and yelping and I saw that they were coming out of the ground in abundance. I jumped off the mower and grabbed him up and headed for the house at a dead run, about 30 yards distant. They got me seven times before I got in the door. The poor dog went into shock and just lay on the sofa quivering for maybe an hour and a half, but eventually came out of it and was o.k. I sure that if one didn't have a refuge of some sort they could prove lethal.

DG

The bald faced bees and yellow jackets are both jerks. We get both nests in our yard every year. If there's an issue because of their nest location they get hosed down with wasp spray at night until the nest falls down and they're all dead. My wife is allergic to all bee's so we don't take chances. There are plenty of other less agressive bee's to take their place. The hive will die over the winter but the queen will try to find a warm place to winter over. About two weeks ago I killed two queens in my polebarn a couple days apart. One was flying around and landed on a window sill, the other was in a drawyer of 1/4" bits in my rolling tool box. Bit of a surprise to open the closed drawer and start rooting around for a specific size bit to see something moving and have that something be a yellow jacket queen. The very first yellow jackets and bald faced bees you'll see every year will be the queens making the start of a new hive.

For those of you using a vacuum to kill them, add a couple inches of soapy water to the bottom. Not enough soap that you get foam coming out the exhaust, but enough to break the water tension which kills them. If they've made a nest inside of a wall or someplace not easily accessed, get liquid dog tick and flea killer with Fipronil and squirt the little bottle around and in the opening. It's a slow acting poison so they track it inside, and by the time it kills them they've already poisoned the queen and larve.
    Last edited by Moleman-; 10-08-2023 at 12:14 PM.

Posted on a bulletin board at one of my customer's in the NorthEast. As far as getting rid of them...I usually wait until a freeze...then pull it down. allergies dontcha know.

redhawk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yellow-stripey-things1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	318762

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

When I was a kid, we had a big nest like that close to my sisters room. Ring the smart kids we were, we would throw a rock and hit the nest. If we go in fast enough to not get stung, we would watch as they angrily flew against her window. And yes, I vividly remember my sister screaming and running as she was getting stung in the backside.

The rule of throwing rocks was you had to throw and then NOT MOVE. It worked most of the time!

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I know a person who did that...once...LOL. Not the brightest bulb on the string.
    but very red and swollen.....
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

If you locate a ground wasp nest, wait until dark and shove a lit 10 minute road flare in it and pack the hole with a rag. If the heat doesn’t get them the fumes will. Just make sure you’re not near a gas line or underground cable.

12 ga loaded with grits or cream of wheat.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast