MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Thompson Center Encore

Thompson Center Encore

I know that the NEF Huntsman muzzle loader frame was/is different from the smokeless rifle frame but what about the T/C Encore muzzle loader? I have a big gun show coming up in a few weeks and there us normally a guy there that has a lot of T/C single shot pistol and barrels for sale. I'd be really interested in an Encore but I can use a Contender for my 357 Maximum project. As a general rule the 357's don't bring as much $ as the larger calibers but I have a gunsmith with a Max reamer. In a 14" barrel I would like to have a 360 Remington Buck Hammer but it's a new caliber and I don't know if a rental is available yet.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    All Encore frames are the same. TC Encores use the same frame for a centerfire as they do your a muzzle loader. What’s different is the barrel and forend. You CAN NOT shoot smokeless powder in a TC Encore muzzle loader. The muzzle loading breech plug cannot take the pressure generated by smokeless powder.

If I found a muzzle loader at a good price, I would not shoot it anyway. Muzzle loaders are not in very high demand here in my home state of AL. I would like to have another 35 cal rifle since I just sold my 358 Norma, which was too much of a good thing for my prosthetic shoulder joint. Even though I had mild success with cast in it, a smaller case like the 357 Max or the 35-30 (BuckHammer) is a better option, especially in a lighter rifle. Contender/Encores give lots of options and it's a shame T/C is defunct.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Mold
    There is one encore looking muzzleloader, the FX model, that has a fixed barrel. The rest of the encore's are interchangeable. The pro-hunter with the pivoting hammer is an advantage to me vs having to use a hammer spur. Non-issue if you're an iron sight person, but that pivoting hammer is nice with a scope.

Boolit Mold
    oh just saw the contender part of the question.
    encore and contender are 100% no parts swap between the two platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by draakken View Post
    There is one encore looking muzzleloader, the FX model, that has a fixed barrel. The rest of the encore's are interchangeable. The pro-hunter with the pivoting hammer is an advantage to me vs having to use a hammer spur. Non-issue if you're an iron sight person, but that pivoting hammer is nice with a scope.
    Me too. I'm afraid my iron sight days are long passed.