MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broke weak, fell for it right away

Broke weak, fell for it right away

Walked into CAL Ranch looking for whatever reloading stuff I might find, saw an 1873 Uberti Cattleman BirdsHead on the shelf, and I looked at it, thinking, yeah, another 45 Colt I don't have dies, brass, molds, nothing....and my wondering eyes spotted the tag...357 Magnum. Huh? Ummm, Miss, might I see this little gem? Price was lower than MidwayUSA and Buds, the places I checked really fast. Everything locked up solid, timing felt nice, grip felt like it was made for my hand...everything felt wonderful, and so I broke weak...it's on layaway, because I paid some medical bills today. I walked out with nothing but a receipt - they were out of SPP anyway.
    What's funny is I don't even know if it's the Old Model or the New Model, but pretty sure it's New Model.
    Anyone have experience with this little hand boomer? I will be shooting mostly 38 Special, one, because I have real carry guns I use all the time, and this is a range fun gun, and two - I have something like 3 or 4 fired brass in .357 Mag.

Boolit Master
    And you just happen to know someone that has several .357 sets of dies and molds.
    Also.
    If you have to,
    You can reload .357 mags with .38 special dies.
    I will have to look, I think I have some extra .357 mag cases out in my storage shed.

I have had a few Ubertis over the years. I always had good luck with them. Sadly, I sold them off when I decided that I didn’t like fixed sights anymore. I think that you will be very happy with it.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    That Birds Head Grip model is more concealable.
    But being single action , you can't really " Bob" the hammer.
    On the smaller revolvers like that, I preferred the Cross Draw model holsters.
    I think Doc Holliday used that model since he was a card player.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Walked into CAL Ranch looking for whatever reloading stuff I might find, saw an 1873 Uberti Cattleman BirdsHead on the shelf, and I looked at it, thinking, yeah, another 45 Colt I don't have dies, brass, molds, nothing....and my wondering eyes spotted the tag...357 Magnum. Huh? Ummm, Miss, might I see this little gem? Price was lower than MidwayUSA and Buds, the places I checked really fast. Everything locked up solid, timing felt nice, grip felt like it was made for my hand...everything felt wonderful, and so I broke weak...it's on layaway, because I paid some medical bills today. I walked out with nothing but a receipt - they were out of SPP anyway.
    What's funny is I don't even know if it's the Old Model or the New Model, but pretty sure it's New Model.
    Anyone have experience with this little hand boomer? I will be shooting mostly 38 Special, one, because I have real carry guns I use all the time, and this is a range fun gun, and two - I have something like 3 or 4 fired brass in .357 Mag.
    Sounds like you had a great find!
    Now I want you to listen to me! Guns are much more important in medical bills! Those doctors will wait! a dollar down and a dollar a day! Really if it was the procedure or treatment it’s not like they’re gonna on treat you! Or if you had an operation and they remove something, it’s not like they’re gonna put it back! You get where I’m coming from? Guns are much more important than medical bills! I speak from experience! Lol
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    …….If you have to,You can reload .357 mags with .38 special dies.
    When I started loading 357 with 38 dies I took a mic to the local Ace Hardware and found a 1/8” steel ring that the bottom of my .38 die would slide into. To switch from 38 to 357 I remove the 38 die and put the 1/8” spacer under it before re-installing on my turret. When using the same projectile for both cartridges there is no seating / crimping adjustment needed.

Boolit Master
    If you are working with a turret press and not a single stage press, you will need the spacer for the deprime/case mouth flare die as well as the crimp die. The size die is just fine the way it is.

Single stage, 1981 RCBS RS, great press, and was a gift. I think I will pay it off next payday so I can start playing...but, hmm, that means I need to start looking at leather...

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    That Birds Head Grip model is more concealable.
    But being single action , you can't really " Bob" the hammer.
    On the smaller revolvers like that, I preferred the Cross Draw model holsters.
    I think Doc Holliday used that model since he was a card player.
    Very well could be, and I still have the 158gr mold you loaned me, sir, so I can cast up for it. Brass would be nice, avoid the long-term carbon ring and long forcing cone jump issues. Thank you again. amigo.
    Edit to add, a Doc Holliday should rig would be the bees knees for this gun. But, then I will need to find some fake ivory grips...

Boolit Master
    I shoot more .38 SPL's in my .357 Mags then I do Magnums.
    Also.
    I use more cast Boolits in the 38s than I do in the .357s , especially Hot Loads.
    I have never had a carbon ring build up in my cylinders or chambers on the .357 rifles that I have if I shoot .38s more often.
    I have found that I can shoot hotter cast loads in the .357s if I PC the slugs , especially in the rifles.

Gotta wait another 7 days...will have to look for some 357 mag brass somewhere.

Boolit Master
    If I remember correctly, either the Lyman or the RCBS dies used to ship with a spacer like that. I should look to see if I have one or if I'm going to have to go buy one myself now that I'm loading more on a single-stage press than my Dillon 650.

Should be able to find .357 reloading gear and components easily. I pulled a .45 uberti Thunderer with checkered grips out of the prize bucket at a NE Regional years ago. Neat little sa. I would have bought a second but I already had invested in Ruger Vaqueros for cas. Still have it. Maybe I’ll use it and a Schofield at this month’s shoot. Going to do an undertaker look with my frock coat and black top hat as it is Halloween. Have to carry my Elvira standup too.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 10-12-2023 at 12:16 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Starline is listing both 38 and 357 magnum brass as available. RCBS use to have the 1/8 inch spacer ring.

Boolit Master
    FIL had an Uberti in .357, std grip. He loved that thing and carried/shot it more than his Python. Carried whenever he was outside the house. First two rounds were snake shot and he killed quite a few rattlers with it. 140gn Lee bullets were his std load, usually with Unique.

Oh, I am happy today.

.38specials will shoot just fine out of that, and a lot more fun, but if you like punishing yourself, you can use the magnums.
    I have two Uberties, one is .45 Colt the other is .357 magnum, but they are the full-size cowboy style.
    Love them both!
    You are going to have fun!

That’s a real carry gun, too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Ok! That’s a real cutie! Yeah you did good!
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

I won a Cimarron Thunderer about 25yrs ago at EOT. 3 1/2" bbl, but it had a "humped" grip.
    In .44Spl, same caliber as My Colts.
    Liked the same load as My Colts too.
    My Dad came up with the washers under the die lock ring, back in the 1960's. He got it from a machinist friend.
    I have Ubertis', Piettas' and Armi San Marcos'.
    All are good guns; .357Mag, .44Spl, .44-40 & .45Colt. Never had to send one back.
    Good Luck and have fun.

.38Spl loads;
    Bullseye -3.0grs
    Unique -4.0grs
    700X-3.0grs
    Over the Lyman #358665 or Lee #358-158-RF.
    Great plinking loads, or Cowboy.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast