Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: New to shooting a 10mm auto, school me on loading the 10mm.

Boolit Master

New to shooting a 10mm auto, school me on loading the 10mm.

I recently traded into a S&W M&P 2.0, in 10mm. I got a box and a half of ammo with it, 180g, and it shoots to point of aim at 20 yds, groups very well, and recoil is about like my glock in .45acp, not bad. I have 400rds of ammo on the way for it, but will be reloading. In 40 I went with 165 gr and was pleased. What do you guys like to shoot in your 10mms, cast or jacketed, powders, etc, all replies appreciated.

Boolit Master
    Right now I shoot jacketed and plated in my G20 using titegroup, I have some 165gr cast and 200gr jhp to load up and test, but I haven't had time. With the g20 I upgraded to a lone wolf barrel, more of a preference thing than performance. But 10mm is fun to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have loaded and fired well over 100,000 rounds of 10mm cast loads through my stock G20. The .40S&W kabooms that have been blamed on cast bullets in polygonal rifling is a cop out for the loaders simply exceeding pressures. Don't be afraid to run cast in your Glock. You don't need an after-market barrel. Stock works fine.

I carry 135grn. CorBon JHP in my G20, so I tend to shoot lighter projectiles as well, to keep point-of-aim the same. (180 and 200 grn tend to print just a little high.) I load either a Magma 140 grn RNFP or a Magma 155grn. SWC, usually with a mid-range powder charge, such as 8.2 grns. of CFE Pistol under the 155 for a velocity of 1275. Or 11.2 grains of Accurate Arms #7 under the 140 for the same velocity. I started out using Blue Dot, and it's still a good powder for this cartridge (if you like bright white fireballs, that is), but it is a flake powder and doesn't meter well, so I won't let it near my Dillons.

Beware that not all magazines from different manufacturers and designs allow for the same OAL of cartridge. Back before Glock devised the drop-free mags and all Glock mags were "swellers" that had to be pulled from the grip, interior mag dimensions were just ever so slightly larger. I loaded up a whole mess of practice ammo at maximum OAL that would function in the mags. Later, I acquired some of the newly designed drop-free mags, and now every round rubbed its nose on the inner front of the mags, and didn't work worth a damn.

Winchester brass seemed to work best. It had a slightly thicker web at the base, unlike Starline and Remington. When loading to max pressures, belling would be rather severe with those cases, but not so much with the Winchester, Norma and PPU.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master
    I have also loaded a lot of .10mm ammo myself. I've used cast, plated, jacketed,, and most often, powder coated cast. I settled upon the 180 grn bullet as the proper weight to give me the best overall uses I have for that caliber.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations! The 10mm is a hoot to shoot.

I have mine set up with an eye towards defensive use.
    My JHP loads use a 165 gr V-crown powered by enough Blue Dot to get about 1320 fps.
    My boolit load uses Accurate 40-172F over Blue Dot, or AA7 or a duplex of WC820 kicked by AA5. Any of those can get me 1350-1400 fps. That boolit will expand in a line of water jugs and stop in the 4th jug same as the 165 JHP, the destruction of the first 3 jugs is amazing.

I’ve used the Lee 175 Truncated Cone. It’s fine but I really prefer more meplat for ranges less than 50 yards.
    I’ve also used Accurate 40-165A. It’s a great boolit but, I’m just a nut for the bigger meplat.

For brass I use range pick-up or buy once fired for general use. I use Starline for any loads that might be serious.

10mm is one of the few cartridges I load “to full potential”. Otherwise I’ll drop to a 40 S&W with the same boolit and be happy at 1050-1100 fps…which is a very capable load.

I’ve been surprised at Accurate 40-172F. It feeds fine in Glock 20 ( both stock barrel and a KKM), Sig 220, Springfield XDm and Ruger SR1911 (Night Watchman). And in 40 the HK VP-40 will feed it. The Sig 229 will not.

I use a Redding Bulge-Buster on any used 10mm brass before I load it the first time. Same on my used 40 brass.

Best of luck with your S&W 10. Keep us posted on your progress.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    Left to right, 165 V-Crown, Accurate 40-172F and Accurate 40-165A.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1628.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	318695

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    I have also loaded a lot of .10mm ammo myself. I've used cast, plated, jacketed,, and most often, powder coated cast. I settled upon the 180 grn bullet as the proper weight to give me the best overall uses I have for that caliber.
    Yes. I've settled on Berry's plated and the Lee 175gr for my 10mm.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    Left to right, 165 V-Crown, Accurate 40-172F and Accurate 40-165A.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1628.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	318695
    And what gun/barrel will let you get away with the fattie in the middle?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

I am more than a fan of 10mm Auto, and, bion, my favourite is an Oregon Trail 155g RN SWC .401 which is send down the barrel with Accurate #2 or #5 powder. Yes, I do cast my own, too, but these do not lead; are mild (recoil) to shoot; and function well in both my 10mm autos. I once tried jacketed -- I believe they were marketed as "Black Widow" or similar name -- and my hand/arm was pointed straight upwards after the first shot -- toooooo much for me (and, I suspect the firearm) -- so somewhere I still have the box with all but three rounds in it. Since, I have shot cast only; again, mostly my cast bullets, but still have the Oregon Trail's as my favourite.
    geo

Boolit Master
    DougGuy, your surprise mirrors mine. But it really does feed fine in several of my pistols.
    I have shot and do shoot that fatty in the middle (Accurate 40-172F) in Glock 20 with factory barrel and a KKM. Also in my Ruger SR1911 Night Watchman 5”, Sig 220 Elite 5”, Springfield XDm 4.25”. And in 40 S&W my HK VP-40 and my Springfield XD (long barrel 5”). The only pistol I have in either 10mm or 40 S&W that won’t feed it is my Sig 229.

In the 229 that boolit is too fat for the bottom of the feed ramp and the meplat just digs in and jambs. I might could get it to work by grinding the frame and barrel ramp but I just won’t do that. The 229 is so great with my other boolits I just won’t cut on it for this one.

The other pistols mentioned above that do feed it are totally stock, un-modified with standard springs.
    I’m as surprised as anyone that big ol’ 0.370” meplat will feed in those pistols. But man oh man it makes a fierce some jug buster at 1350-1400 fps!

Vendor Sponsor

I do have a 40 caliber carbide pistol throater that has low miles on it, it's in good shape. My 9mm and 45ACP carbide reamers are toast and I am not replacing them.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

For pure accuracy,,the mp 165,,but hp,158gr.
    Hands down for me,,most accurate.
    Aa7 wide open,aa9 as well.

I shoot 180gr XTP and Lee 401-175-TC cast powder coated.
    These are in the 1175-1200+ range.

Boolit Buddy

Mild loads in the 40 S&W range will drop the brass right next to me, and make chasing down brass a pleasure! Plinking is "more funner" with mild loads and easier to find the brass.
    I only load to full potential loads for hunting, and use factory loads for defense.

Boolit Buddy
    Following this thread. I loaded some MBW 200gr WFN powder coated bullets over 11.0-11.2-11.5 grains of AA9.
    Very accurate and looks to be hitting HARD.

I have no idea how fast it is but I’m guess 1050 +/-

Boolit Master
    I’ve found HS6 to work well with cast bullets in the 10mm, but that’s from a GP100.

Boolit Master
    You may find it difficult to improve on Alliant Blue Dot or AA#7 as the propellant of choice for full power 10mm loads. It sure seems to me that the 180 gr. projectiles (cast OR j-word) give the best return on velocity vs. bullet weight. Velocities approaching 1300 f/s can be obtained with bullets of this weight, using max charges of Blue Dot or AA#7.
    For more sedate loads, or loads with lighter projectiles, you can probably get away with using propellants with burning rates in the same range as Unique, Herco, AA#5. You may find that a look at Alliant BE-86 is worthwhile. It is essentially a better-metering, cleaner burning, flash suppressed version of Unique, which seems to work well in every caliber in which I've used it.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

180gr bullets w/ Longshot for full-power loads.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.