Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data Wideners

Thread: New 44-40 barrel in old 1892

Boolit Buddy

New 44-40 barrel in old 1892

I just got my 1892 SRC back from John Taylor Machine with a new barrel. John tells me the bore is .429". I've read many posts that recommend using soft lead for projectiles but wondered if modern barrels are better suited to harder alloys. I usually cast 50/50 COWW/PB but I've got some range scrap ingots from a vendor on S&S here. I plan to power coat.

The stocks still need to be replaced plus I still need brass and a good mould (considering the Accurate 43-215C) and some reloading dies.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Soft lead , hard lead or jacketed will all work fine.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by mvintx View Post
    I just got my 1892 SRC back from John Taylor Machine with a new barrel. John tells me the bore is .429". I've read many posts that recommend using soft lead for projectiles but wondered if modern barrels are better suited to harder alloys. I usually cast 50/50 COWW/PB but I've got some range scrap ingots from a vendor on S&S here. I plan to power coat.

The stocks still need to be replaced plus I still need brass and a good mould (considering the Accurate 43-215C) and some reloading dies.
    Congrats on getting your 1892 back, to be shot! I have a couple of same firearm, albeit in .38WCF (.38-40) and one was a real "basket case" -- including a loose barrel when I acquired it. A very (imho) wise, "ancient" gunsmith/dealer who did the repairs advised these fine arms will "shoot anything" PROVIDED it is ONLY cast bullets. He added the quickest way to ruin mine would be to send "a couple" of jacketed bullets down the barrel.
    Maybe this advice was just his THOUGHTS -- but, albeit my firing was more in the "100-range" than, say, thousands - I heeded his advice. My thoughts included, in its day, it was more than doubtful that any loader had the "tools" we use today -- mostly reclaimed "lead" of what-is-there alloy was melted over a wood fire and poured in the Ideal tool's front mould. The aged 'smith told me they'd have target shoots, with the target always affixed to a hardwood stump which had been left, tree chopped a few feet off the ground. Whomever won the match "won the stump" -- some burned it, but most just hacked at it to retrieve the precious lead to cast new bullets with.
    Good luck!
    geo

Boolit Master

Modern barrels are made of much better steel than the old black powder barrel. In 1895 Winchester came out with Nickel steel barrels for the 30-30 and 32 Special, Marling used Special Smokeless steel. Modern steel used is 4140 Chrome Moli, heat treated to 28-32 Rockwell c. Modern stainless is 416 which is not as tough but will not flame cut the throat ( can't cut it with a cutting torch). Many of the modern muzzle loading barrels are made from 12L14 which is used because it machines easy but still has 60,000 tensile strength. Liners for barrels are made from 4130 aircraft tube, better than old black powder steel but not as tough as 4140 heat treated.