Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Werndl Rebuild

Werndl Rebuild

Greetings and thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

I acquired a Werndl 1867 barreled action. Since original parts are made of unobtainium, I am planning to fit a new lock to the action and rebarrel the action to .38-55 Ballard (Winchester). Since the 38-55 is wimpier than the original cartridge, I figured the action would handle it with ease. The action is very tight and the cylinder will not rotate to the full lock position, I view this as a plus as tight is often easier than loose to fix. Otherwise it looks to be in good condition.

What experience does the group have with working on these.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3516 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	318588

Boolit Buddy

I rebarreled my Austrian Werndl to 45-70 The bore looked like the Iranian camel brigade camped out in it. No saving the original barrel. Borchardt Barrels made a nice 1 1/4" x 33" blank. The gun shoots like it has eyes!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AustrianWerndl1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	318601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AustrianWerndl2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	318602 The extractor is set up for a large rimmed case. Your original extractor will not work on the 38-55 WCF. The Werndl is a mechanical marvel. The helical bolt and backplate just astounds me. Have fun!

Boolit Master

I am very interested to monitor your project. I have a later action that shoot6s very well in original caliber. I have another that is in very rough shape. I want to do a rework. Parts do float by on the auction houses on occasion but you have to watch every day.
    I THINK YTOU COUOD MAKE HE EXTRACTOR WORK BY BUILT UP WELDING. opps sry I ain t rekeying

Great to have you and your neat projects back, Mapp55b!
    I was looking through old Firearms Digest articles by Paul Scarlata for the one about the Werndl- sorry to say I didn’t find it…..
    Keep us posted, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a Werndl that I have trouble with, it misfires often because it doesn't strike the center of the smaller LR primers. I suppose it had no problem with the original large dia Berdan primed cases. Not sure yet how to fix mine , hope your action strikes dead center.

Maybe an old Zulu lock might be about the right size, and you could modify the hammer, and use the trigger assy.

Boolit Buddy

Map55: You should be able to find a large military back action. A little blacksmithing on the hammer nose. I thought about converting my ole shot out Werndl to 45-60 WCF Instead I made mine 45-70.
    Something else to consider: The rear sight boss is machined into the barrel. Not soft soldered or silver brazed. You will need a barrel large enough to machine the sight base. Check out the new replacement barrel and the original barrel. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AustrianW3.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	318614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AustrianW4.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	318615

Greetings and thank you all for your input. I am not going to attempt to restore this rifle, it will become a sporter. I participate in Cowboy Action Shooting and would like to be able to use this rifle for Plainsmen events (although I'm sure it will not be my fastest rifle). I will not reuse the original rear sights. I will install something I can see and get lined up quickly.

I will be using the following "back action" lock: https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ.../3/LOCK-LR-700

I found a firm in the UK that offers a rough casting of the hammer, this will make things a little easier: https://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalo...72R.html#SID=2

I also realized that extractor will be too short. I'm not fond of welding on them. I will either make a new one similar to how this was done: https://www.rifleman.org.uk/Werndl_extractor.html or I might cut a mortise and tenon on the original and silver solder and extension on.

The bottom metal and trigger will be shop made, but I intend to have them mount to the receiver and provide a second mounting point for the lock to keep things in their proper position.

As for the barrel, I might make it a straight octagon, just because I can and it will add to the unusual look of the action. I will also want to leave some weight as I typically only fire four rounds off hand and the weight will make it easier for me to control. I will not need to carry it around.

Oh and I'll make sure that the firing pin is lined up correctly. With something like this I will make a "barrel" stub out of PVC and chamber it so I can chamber a case. Obviously I can't fire a loaded round, but I can pop primers all day long and make any adjustment needed before dong the more complicated portions of the build.

Anything I've missed or should be aware of? Oh and thank you Texas by God for the warm welcome! -map

Boolit Buddy

55: The barrel threads are square. I think an octagonal sporter is a good idea. The "Guggans" that show up at your Cowboy Action will be scratchin their heads!! Anyway that whimppy lock may not have enough steam. I dug through my old locks and found a couple you might be able to use. They are cheap! Check out the photos. Regards, RDClick image for larger version. 

Name:	AW1.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	318652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AW2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	318653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AW3.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	318654
    Last edited by Rockindaddy; 10-04-2023 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Buddy

They might be Dutch. You will have to do a little blacksmithing on the hammer. This is not a Swap or sell page. PM me and I can let you know what I want for these old "dogs" !! I am excited for your project sporter! I am building an 1890's Mauser 1871/84 11mm bolt action european sporter. Maybe get to bust Bambi with it.

RD,

Square threads aren't an issue. I've done a few of those in the past. I think the octagonal will just make it look old and more unique.