Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell phone carriers / companies

Cell phone carriers / companies

My Straight Talk phone is getting old and was wondering what's out there and working good for members. At the house we have Verizon private phones, Straight talk and a Verizon company phone. I have the only android in the house and 3 iphones through Verizon which are getting old and are spendy too.

I saw an add for Google fi phones. The price seems nice but they are on T mobile. Is T mobile's coverage better than it used to be out in the county side?

In my daily travels Verizon seems hard to beat for the most part.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Moderator Emeritus

Folks were touting I believe Cellular one out here. I had Verizon coming from Jersey. There was a new tower put up maybe 5 miles from me. Problem is the mountains block that tower for me. Turned out Verizon worked where all the others didn't. Ask you neighbors and those around where you travel the most. Don't believe the company's coverage maps. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    Ditto what wolf said. In your area best to get locals experiences with the carriers.
    I was under the impression that straight talk shares with different carriers but not positive.

Some providers will give you a new phone, with a contract. The phones vary.
    Good luck,

Mike

I’ve also had good luck with Refurbished newer I phones from amazon and they stand behind them 100%
    You can also call your att or verizion for the same.
    Last edited by myg30; 10-02-2023 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Added info

The Google fi plan of 4 phones for $80 a month has me curious. But it is a data plan with a limit.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Folks were touting I believe Cellular one out here. I had Verizon coming from Jersey. There was a new tower put up maybe 5 miles from me. Problem is the mountains block that tower for me. Turned out Verizon worked where all the others didn't. Ask you neighbors and those around where you travel the most. Don't believe the company's coverage maps. Good luck.
    +1 on this advice. Have that problem at both the Moapa Nevada and Kalispell Montana properties since they are remote and outside of "Actual Coverage"; but appear covered in the cell service maps. WiFi extension and Outside WiFi extender antennas helps get cell coverage at both locations (IF - Your new phone/Carrier supports Cell over WiFi).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I moved to AZ six years ago, Cox installer plugged a phone into the Cox box, and it rang.
    The number came up on the TV, was my new number. Was a telemarketer in Pakistan.
    That phone rang every five minutes until I unplugged it.

When the 3G stopped my flip phone did too, and I don't miss the thing.
    Why did I pay to be called by telemarketers?
    I got a trac phone so I can call my wife's smart phone which she does not answer, ever,
    unless the kids call her.
    I did not register the trac phone on the internet, so it never rings unless she calls it.
    Then I don't answer mine, so I get a flaming text.
    Yah, I'm still in the backyard, dear.
    That's progress?

Stole the line:
    Captain Kirk had a flip phone, good enough for me.

Check out Puretalk.com different plans , veteran owned, customer service is great! English speaking people too.

Boolit Buddy
    I got a new iPhone SE3 from straight talk last week for $149

Boolit Master
    I have a cabin in a fringe zone for cell coverage. The only phone that works reliably is Verizon. Other folks with other cell service have to drive a couple of miles to get a signal. Data use is iffy and extremely slow but phone connections are good. So far no other service is workable.

All cel phones are line of sight phone to towers. No tower, no signal. So after hurricane Michel with all the Verizion towers down into a pile of twisted steel, AT&T became the phone of the hour in the disaster area. Cel phone reception is all local, advertising is national.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

I have a Google Fi plan with two phones on it. We use their Pixel phones and we don't have any of the bloatware that you get when you use the phones of a large carrier like AT&T or Verizon. There are a couple of apps that I don't want but can't delete but not like the other carriers where you can't even delete FaceBook and others.

If you don't use a massive amount of data, ergo, you're not surfing the internet for pr0n or something like that, you'll probably like the plan.

We spend about half or less for these two phones than we did for any other service. I suggest it to all of my friends. And to you.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

In my point of view, if you are wanting a talking into phone for carry, do NOT buy an iPhone. They are fine for surfing the internet or texting, but my wife has had three and they all have been crap reception and voice quality. Buy the best Android yiu can afford. I've had Motorola and won't buy another, battery dies early death. The two Samsung models I've had have been good.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I bought a $59 Samsung at Wal Mart when I switched to Straight Talk. No more high dollar phones for me.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    My Straight Talk phone is getting old and was wondering what's out there and working good for members. At the house we have Verizon private phones, Straight talk and a Verizon company phone. I have the only android in the house and 3 iphones through Verizon which are getting old and are spendy too.

I saw an add for Google fi phones. The price seems nice but they are on T mobile. Is T mobile's coverage better than it used to be out in the county side?

I strongly dislike Spectrum! Albeit that said, AT&T upgraded towers and we lost cellular coverage at camp. Being kind of (almost ) a cripple, it was too chancy/risky for me to be at our 18-acre paradise (camp) with no means of communicating (e.g., "HELP!!!") with outside world, and I, at just about same time, saw an advertisement for Spectrum "by the gig" cellular coverage at the flat rate -- unlimited text and talk -- for fourteen U S dollars per month!
    I started this epistle with my dislike for Spectrum, but vis the cellular telephone, I am pretty much always in awe: There seems to be service -- good level, too -- pretty much everywhere I go; interruptions never seem to happen; and call, receiving, and messaging can't be beat!
    Granted, I use this cellular telephone almost exclusively for... telephoning , albeit with the occasional "Siri, .....?". To run the 'phone, I bought a reconditioned Apple iPhone 7 for fifty U S dollars. This, plus the $14.00 USD monthly -- imho is hard to beat! (My other cellular is an iPhone 14 Plus on wife's AT&T plan).
    geo

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    My wife and I have used Consumer Cellular for quite a few years now - we have great service here in Michigan and i Arizona - all across the country going back and forth - only a problem in a couple spots where we go through some mountains where you'd expect it. We both have I-phones we bought from them - no issues with them. I believe they operate off a number of different companies towers. For the plan we have for both of us - $53 / month - no contract.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map

Had Verizon because it had the best coverage in ND and WI but cost became an issue. Switched to T-Mobile senior plan for $60 a month for two phones for life with unlimited data/text. We are really happy with it. T-Mobile coverage has improved their coverage greatly.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    We have used consumer cellular for a few years. Yes you have to buy your own phones, but the service from CC is very good. We pay $75-$80 per month, for 3 lines, unlimited talk and texting, 15 gb data. No contract, if you go over your limit, they automatically bump you to the next higher level, which you can adjust back on your own. We u use Samsung phones. You won't have any problems exceeding your data, as long as you're connected to wifi.

Boolit Grand Master
    Use my cell phone once a week.......maybe.
    Got a free flip phone from Tracfone years ago.
    Pay as you go plan.
    $19.99 for 60 minutes, for 90 days.
    The minutes never expire.....so they say.
    I must have almost a year of minutes by now.
    Works for me.

Boolit Grand Master

We've had Consumer Cellular for several years now. You can temporarily adjust your service. We were recently on vacation driving for 10 days and used up data minutes with the map program. LOML upped our data limit for the month. We still had maps. Service was poor at the Shiloh battlefield, though. Tried to download the US Park Service information, my phone wouldn't connect, LOML's did. Same service, different phones.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    My wife and I have used Consumer Cellular for quite a few years now - we have great service here in Michigan and i Arizona - all across the country going back and forth - only a problem in a couple spots where we go through some mountains where you'd expect it. We both have I-phones we bought from them - no issues with them. I believe they operate off a number of different companies towers. For the plan we have for both of us - $53 / month - no contract.
    Agreed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast