RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: I need smoke!

Boolit Bub

I need smoke!

My grandson has been after me to load a cartridge for him that produces lots of smoke on firing.

I decided a brass 12 gauge shell with a caseful of FFG topped with a card wad (no projectile) and just enough crimp to hold it together.

Does this sound reasonable or should I try to figure something else?

Vendor Sponsor

Sure! And put a little flour in the payload.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Shooting on a real damp day (right after a rain hopefully ) will do the trick or high humidity. Outside of that I have no experience. james

Oh yeah.
    Shot shells used to be loaded with holy black.
    When smokeless came along, they still had a 'dram equivalent' printed on the box that reffered to BP.
    Before the internet came to be-- Nobody could tell you what it meant, but it was there.

If ya want an interesting thing to look up, and are not easily frustrated---- try to figure a 'dram' load for it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Black powder and confetti.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Oh yeah.
    Shot shells used to be loaded with holy black.
    When smokeless came along, they still had a 'dram equivalent' printed on the box that reffered to BP.
    Before the internet came to be-- Nobody could tell you what it meant, but it was there.

If ya want an interesting thing to look up, and are not easily frustrated---- try to figure a 'dram' load for it.
    I'm still from the old School
    2 Drams is about 55 grains

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    I'm still from the old School
    2 Drams is about 55 grains
    I was gonna say a 3 dram equivalent load (common) is about 80 grains ----close enough I guess ?

Try some Vaseline - It smokes pretty strongly.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Mold
    A full 12 gauge brass shell would be a lot of BP. If it was me I’d use 70-80 grains with some wads over top and see how that worked. Since it’s a blank you could probably up the powder charge some but doubt you’d need a case full to get a healthy BANG and lots of smoke. Instead of crimping the brass shell, a hard card wad can be glued in with hot glue or DUCO cement. At least that’s how I seal my brass BP shotgun shells. Mine are loaded with around 80 grains FFG and equal volume of shot though - I’ve never had a need for blanks.

Boolit Mold
    I've always found soft lube & unique could put up a reasonable smoke screen after a magazine or two.

I get a decent cloud with my home made lube made from Mrs. Wingers old fu-fu candles.
    It does have a smell too.
    I had one guy at the range ask me if I got my ammo from some place in San Francisco.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I get a decent cloud with my home made lube made from Mrs. Wingers old fu-fu candles.
    It does have a smell too.
    I had one guy at the range ask me if I got my ammo from some place in San Francisco.
    That was funny!
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I am just a worry wart, but I would be concerned with cleaning my shotgun after shooting a load.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jednorris View Post
    I guess I am just a worry wart, but I would be concerned with cleaning my shotgun after shooting a load.
    I was going to use a H&R single shot 12 gauge Ought to clean pretty easy I think at least compared to a pump gun.

Boolit Master
    I'd try 80-100 grains of black, with wads and corn meal. A 12-gauge case full of black would be a LOT of powder!

Boolit Buddy
    I load what amounts to a 3 dram load in my Grandpa's old single.....an 1890's Shattucks perfection.........and it'l make you wish you'd brought a gas mask on a damp spring morning..............really, you don't need much more than about 80 to do what you want........plus I like the flour suggestion. Cleanup's a breeze with a smoothbore.........just run some soapy water thru the tube and followup with hot to dry quickly.

Incidentally I'll mention that I have had an on and off problem with a garbage can raiding bear and I may have solved my issue with a perimeter alarm rigged on my can using a cut down .12 plastic/80 gr's of 3f topped by two hard card wads & roll crimped............loud as can be and one dose of that late last month and he hasn't been back........

Boolit Master

Above flour was mentioned Flour under the acceleration of powder can compress and turn to cement sticking to case and barrel walls causing trouble possibly even damaging a gun .
    I had this happen in a heavy seamless pipe (3/4" I.D.) I was trying to make a loud noise with the flour column was probably much higher then would be in any shell but it was not much black powder and the seamless pipe split.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.