Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Bite Rules in your town

Boolit Master

Dog Bite Rules in your town

Hereabouts a biting dog gets two strikes and it's out - put down. Apparently in DC they get 11 with one hospitalization - unfortunately not the owner . What about your burg ?

Boolit Grand Master
    I live in the middle of nowhere. Aggressive dogs are shot...either by the owner or a "neighbor". The 3 S rules apply.
    Don Verna

Not sure about the small towns around here, but when we lived in Dallas Country,
    the dog was quarantined for two full weeks, then given- along with a nice bill,
    back to the owner who didn't have a chance in civil court for any damage or injury it did..
    I never bothered to find out what happened to repeat offenders.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    To train a dog, you have to be smarter than a dog.
    I wager that dog would make somebody else a fine pet.
    Shouldn't happen to a dog.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    If they bite me they get shot , no seconds allowed. Have no idea what the local law says and could care less.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    A German Shepherd bit me in the thigh once when I was in high school, guess I knocked on the wrong door but there was no fence & no sign. I guarantee it will never happen again.

Dick

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Dog Bite Rules in your town

Last time a dog bit me I bit him back. Hasn’t happened since…. I think I gave him rabies…

Moderator Emeritus

Out here we don't give them a chance to bite. I am a dog lover but we had two big strays come up my driveway and were watching our dogs bark at them. I fired a few shots at the dirt embankment near me and they took off. To many folks raising farm animals and such. Strays won't last long.

In Fargo ND its the 2 strike rule, but dogs don't count. So the pit bull that attacked my 25lb Chihuahua/pomeranian cross got a pass. He later attacked a person and I heard that some of the neighbors were upset that I had not called the police. But only until they found out that dogs don't count.

I thought about the assisted opening razor in my right pocket. But grabbed my baseball cap and started twapping her in the head with it about 2 per second. After about 8 she decided she did not like it and backed off.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Vendor Sponsor

Here in this county you can shoot a dog if it is attacking or even chasing people, other dogs, cats, livestock or other animals. The one stipulation in the law states that the boolit MUST remain on your property. Or in the dog's now dead carcass.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 10-02-2023 at 10:36 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    shooters - the dog you refer to is nothing more than PR "window dressing" - and I feel heart sorry for the animal as it should be re-homed with someone it can actually bond with and develop trust in. I doubt the dog ever gets much attention, it certainly has no consistent schedule and just think how many different people are around it that causes nothing but confusion and anxiety for it. Unfortunate for the animal - but it gets treated like American Citizens and Taxpayers.

Moral of the story? Stupid people should NEVER own dogs and other animals or hold public office . . . . . or have kids . . . . after all, look how his kid turned out . . . . I rest my case.
    Last edited by bedbugbilly; 10-02-2023 at 08:19 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    If they bite me they get shot , no seconds allowed. Have no idea what the local law says and could care less.
    I don't give them a chance to bite. If they wander into my yard, and I don't recognize the dog, they get to experience some #9 shot from a .410. Less than lethal. I never see them again.

We have just two houses on a mile of dirt road, 30 miles outside of town. We get quite a few throw outs, felines and canines with no collar, no shots, we have no need for strays. Elimination is an unfortunate necessity as we are fresh out of nearby animal shelters or control people, falls to ourselves. So there is no tolerance for aggressive critters of any stripe....regardless, they bark, growl or .... show teeth and it is pat, pat, pat.
    But FL has serious dog bite laws, owner is 100% responsible for their animal, as to any injury or damage, no if ands or buts about it. You own a known dangerous breed or known problem critter, it gets dead and you get into jail. Brought about by all the moron exotic animal owners and Florida's old, old, livestock laws, your cow, horse, pig, etc gets out, you get the full axe blade.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Dog bite! Second chance! It's an animal and it will EAT YOU if it needs sustenance! Get over the "childlike thinking" that it will be your "friend". Recall the Jack London tale, they are your friend but they do make good eating when the SHTF!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    The OP has asked about the laws,, not about what to do. We all have our opinions as to what to do when faced with an aggressive or problem animal.
    In NC,, the state laws have a variety of things that address such actions by an animal.
    A state laws says; "An owner is responsible for it's dogs actions off the owners property."
    In the case of a bite, if the dog has been vaccinated for rabies, and is current,, (required by law,) then the dog can go into quarantine for a period of time. It's either 10 days or 14 days, I can't recall exactly. Often,, it can be in quarantine at the owners home. Or,, it can be put up by the County for quarantine, and I believe at the owners expense.
    If it has not had the current rabies vaccine,, if I'm not mistaken (if they've updated the laws,) they are often put down unless the owner is willing to accept full legal responsibility & expenses for everything. In most cases,, the owners just sign the dog over to the County, and it's put down & tested for rabies.
    As for how many times a dog can bite someone and still live,, depends upon the circumstances. If on the owners property, and the person bitten was there,, often nothing is done. If the victim of the bite was doing something to cause the dog to bite,, and also on the property, nothing is done to the dog or owner.

Just recently,, a younger teenage boy was attacked by a couple of dogs. He had to go to the hospital.
    HOWEVER,, the boy was on the dog's property, AND teasing the dogs. Nothing done to the dogs or the owner. A few neighbors were upset,, thinking the dogs may go after them etc. (Pit Bulls & Pit mix,) but the local news and LEO's allowed that the boy caused the problem, and trespassed.

To learn the laws in YOUR area,, a detailed discussion with the local County Animal Control officers will make sure you are covered by legalities,, and help you understand your neighbors' rights or responsibilities. Plus,, you can ask for the State General Statue laws to look up the legal stuff yourself.

One of the times I was summoned for jury duty,, during an informal meeting with the Judge,, he allowed that the majority of the cases he had seen over his time was over (3) things. Children, (custody stuff,) Money, and Dogs.

I was charged with "Cruelty to Animals" back in the 1980's. I had been told by my Mother to "burn their butts" where stray dogs were concerned. It was after her dog caught Parvo, and almost died due to strays visiting. After (3) calls to Animal Control, and zero assistance, she gave me orders. Well, long story short,, I had burned several dogs butts & such, until once when the second of an owners dogs came on our property, and I got it too, I got charged. Due to the LAWS, the evidence, and testimony of our Chief of Police, and Animal Control, the case was dropped.

In our state, dogs have not yet been given recognition as sentient beings, and therefor are considered property and do not have rights. (Yet.) Therefor, if you end up killing a dog for attacking you or someone else, at most, you might be responsible for compensating the owner for the loss of their property, or maybe prosecuted for destruction of property or shooting in city limits if it is determined you acted irresponsibly.

I too am a dog lover, and have also been bitten on a few occasions. In all of those events, I did not find it necessary to shoot the dog. Only in one of them did I determine the dog to be vicious and a liability, and I nearly did almost shoot it. But even that incident, I gave the owner the opportunity to be made aware of how they needed to exert better control of their dog, because next time, the next victim might be quicker on the trigger than I was. There are no inherently vicious dogs, only bad masters. If I ever am forced to shoot a dog, I'm going to want to administer a beating to the owner.

In our county, a dog will be quarantined over a first offense, and the owner can go through a process to get the dog returned if it is determined the dog is not vicious. But a second event, while it is technically possible to have the dog judged as not vicious and returned, almost never happens, and is a death sentence.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master
    11 bites in DC says the OP...
    That would be "Commander" the 2 yo German Shepherd shelter pet that is new to the White House.
    Sent a secret service agent to the hospital, report says.

If I were a dog at the white house I would be biting, too.
    I am sorry for any young German Shepherd in a place like that, people coming and going.
    I wager Biden doesn't even know he has a dog.

I had a dog that bit folks, well because I have up a fence, tons of signs laws here states stupid is as stupid does, The dog finally passed old age, UPS-FED EX still drop packages off at gate call house or text phones package was dropped...I feel about it as I do the stupid you tuber that got himself shot Stupid is as stupid does IF I KNOW THE DOG BITES I sure the hell aint going unannounced

If you live in DC you deserve to get bitten by a dog.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    If you live in DC you deserve to get bitten by a dog.
    Good one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast