WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Really heavy for caliber30/30 loads.

Really heavy for caliber30/30 loads.

I have the chance to buy some 200 grn FP, gas checked boolits with a bh of 22 approximately.
    Two issues, will my 1954 win 94 carbine stabilise such heavy bullets (it does ok with boolits in the 180 grn plus range) and the second issue is what should the start at loads of powder be, I intend to use either CFE 223 or Reloder 7 if I were to buy them though wouldn't be averse to trying others, I have 2400, hodgdons universal and several lovex powders.
    I'd be trying to get about 1850 to 1900 fps max.

I'd try 2400 first. But probably just get 1600 fps.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

What style bullet are they? A 200 grain bullet for a 30-06 won't work very well in a 30-30. Also that is a much harder bullet than I shoot in my 30-30's. I try to stay around 10 BHN or so.
    Good luck to you!
    Rick

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The RCBS 30-180FN weighs 188 grains in soft 50-50 wheelweights.and plumber's lead with 2% tin added. Ballistics approximating the .303 Savage are obtained with 36 grains of W760.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200 grn bullet.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	318554 Here's an image of them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200 coated.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	318555 Or I could use these 200 grn polymer coated.

Years ago I was given some very nice looking gas checked cast bullets of about .310 dia. and loaded about 6 with a light load of powder to try in one of my 30-30 single shots.
    Well I found out quick that they didn’t stabilize as my 50 yard target was a large pattern of elongated holes. I believe my barrel was 1-12 but the boolits were 208 or 210+ grs.
    I was going to try and load them faster to see if they shot better but never got toit.
    Jedman

Boolit Master

The bullet on the left is designed for a 30-06 and such. Unless your 30-30 is a single shot I don't think you will have much luck. Of course you may have a stabilization issue also. The bullet on the right, seated to an OAL of 2.550" may work for you. It is shorter than the first, and probably designed more for a 30-30.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master

1st real issue is going to be the OAL. Longish bullets seated out in the 30-30 may feed ok from the tube but will not eject as the bullet nose can still be in the chamber when the cartridge rim comes against the ejector. When that happens, you have two choices; partially disassemble the rifle to get the cartridge out or fire the cartridge. If on a range and a cease fire is called and you must unload the rifle a real problem could happen.

I suggest the use of the flat nosed bullet for your M94. The 12" twist of the M94 will adequately stabilize the bullet.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I shoot a pile of the NOE 200 grain flat nose bullet from my 30/30 Ackley . Using lever evolution powder they leave around 2200 fps. Nicely accurate in the standard chambers also. I only shoot model 64 Winchesters. The 94 carbine that I had shoot them well also, it was made in 1935.
    I’ve used all three versions of this bullet, flat nose, cup and hollow point. A mix of hollow points and cup nose all exited a huge hog. Probably 4 to 6 hundred pounds. A model 64A did the work that day. And no the bullets weren’t hard cast

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine is along the lines of frank505, Leverevolution powder and a 195gr rnfp kind of like the pic on the right. Shoots great out of my Marlin.