Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What caliber to have a 22-250 bored out to?

A 35 caliber wild cat based on a .250 Savage length .473” case would be neat and what Remington should have done with the .35 Remington at the turn of the century.
    It would have to have been based on the 7mm, 7.65mm, or 7.9mm Mauser cartridges (pre- .30-03).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to his modest website, JES doesn't bore in the 250 savage. Any other recommendations? Thanks
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

You really need to call JES before going any further, and ask him if he even does a .25 caliber rebore? Not sure he's doing anything that small, so best to see what he does before going any further.

Just got off the phone with JES, he will turn a 25-20 into a 32-20, but other than that, 338 is his smallest caliber. If I still want the 250-3000, he recommended I go to a fellow in Oregon. Also, he charges $25 to cut and crown a barrel.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Will this be a range toy or hunting round? If you hunt where the ranges are not super long, I have to cast my vote for a 358 Win. Brass is a no brainer, dies will not break the bank, it is not temper mental with regards to powder selection, and you can fire form with pistol boolits. Get it done by JES with a 1-12" twist and you are good to go with jacketed. Wildcats are more expensive to create.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

The Oregon guy is a fair bit more money than JES. I'm leaning towards the 358 now. Any suggestions on shortest barrel length?
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

I like the 20" BBL's on my 350 Rem Mags. I had JES rebore a Rem M Seven Predator in 223 to 350 Legand with my reamer for 0.359" cast. It has a 22" fluted Light Varmint bbl. 1:16 twist. My 350 Rem Mags shoot cast very well all have 1:16" bbl's. They shoot 273 gr cast well out to 220 yds. Furthest at my home range with safe backstop. I can shoot the RCBS 200 gr at jacketed velocities with decent accuracy. Also I have one 350 RM sighted in to shoot LEE 158 gr FN bevel base at 1,350 - 1,400 fps. Approximating 357 mag rifle. As many know the 35 is a very versatile and relatively easy to get shot shoot well. 358 Win with a 1:16" would be the "Cats Meow"

If it's going to be a hunting toy instead of a target rifle I'd go with the largest bore size of cartridge that the piece will accommodate.

The barrel length on a single shot like your Wickliffe is really your choice for looks and what you want to do with it. A short barrel like 18” usually looks kinda stumpy but if you were using it as a blind gun a short barrel might make sense. If you do go with the 358 I wouldn’t want less than 22” but whatever length it is now is probably the way to go unless you don’t like it.
    Jedman

It's 24" now, I was thinking 20", just didn't know how the 358 responded to short barrels.
    I was considering going 444 but the brass availability isn't as nice as 308, I really don't know, there's soooo many options and choices.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    35 whelen might be worth looking into. extractor will work without modification, its in jess's wheelhouse, 30-06 brass is easy to find, plus it shoots cast bullets real well with the very common and much duplicated RCBS 35-200

It's on my short list.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12