MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Forming 6MM Remington Brass

Boolit Master

Forming 6MM Remington Brass

I have a chance to buy a Remington 788 in 6MM. Ammo & brass seam to be next to impossible to find. I'd like to be able to shoot this thing if I buy it. Anybody have any experience forming brass from 30-06 or other common brass? Any help & advise would be appreciated.

It is so very close to 7x57 -- you should be able to just poke in the die & trim.
    I have found 7x57 in recent years -- S&B had been easy to find, though it has a pistol depth pocket.

I had formed 7x57 from 06 also some years back, so you should be able to get 6mm Rem from 06 as well, but will require intermediate steps and neck turning.

When I made 7x57 from 06, I would shorten the 06, run it in 8x57 die, neck turn, then run in a 7x57 die.
    Some people have laughed at the neck turn step after running in 8x57 die, but you are making a neck out of shoulder, and my brass got far too thick in the neck to use directly as 8x57 (I did that too).
    Also, you will be making shoulder out of body, so you can end up with folds. Annealing into the upper bit of the body on the donor 06 case would probably fix that.

Get some 06 cases, a die set of two, a butane torch and see how it goes for you.

Boolit Master
    I made 6mm / 22/250 out of 22/250 brass, just run through die and trim, if I remember correctly ? 6mm rem is similar to 22/250 ???

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    I made 6mm / 22/250 out of 22/250 brass, just run through die and trim, if I remember correctly ? 6mm rem is similar to 22/250 ???
    No 6mm Rem is longer. 22-250 is too short.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...20the%206.5X55.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com...43/m/197102344
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I use a 6mm file trim die and any of the 30 06 family brass that is long enough. I run them into the trim die an cut the excess of with a fine toothed hacksaw then file and chamfer .
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned

757 or 257 roberts works

.22-250 is 243 or 308 based.

I stand corrected, thanks M-Tecs. Don't need bad info out there.
    Last edited by Minerat; 09-30-2023 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Technical correction.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Some brass is still available on a few websites. Alternatively, there's some options on loaded ammo, though not cheap! I stocked up on brass a few years ago; I saw the writing on the wall...
    I've have that 6mm Rem M788 since I was a teen, and it still shoots lights out!
    I am a natural-born Texican. – Crazy Cora, when Matthew Quigley asked if she can shoot.
    μολὼν λαβέ NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    .22-250 is 243 or 308 based.
    The 22-250 is based off the 250 Savage—a.k.a. 250-3000 Savage. It was first wildcatted in the 1930s long before the 308 or the 243 was around.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't have a 6mm Remington, but if I were to attempt making brass for one my first choice would be .257 Roberts followed by 7x57 then 8x57. At least then you would be making the neck from the neck of the donor case, and it might not thicken too much to use without turning.

Model 788 Remington's aren't that pretty, but they tend to shoot better than most other rifles. I know my .222 did.

Robert

Boolit Master
    6mm Rem is a necked down 257 Roberts which is a necked down 7x57 or 8x57. Anything else involves a lot more work to form.

Alstep you have a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk