Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Barrel fluting

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Barrel fluting

So, I think I want to flute the E.R. Shaw stainless barrel on my .257 Roberts. ERS offers barrel fluting, I reached out to them asking if they could do it. Anybody know of another good source to have it done? The main reason I want to flute is weight reduction and also 'cause it looks cool.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

If there is an old school gunsmith locally, that has a milling machine, it's not that hard of a project for them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I would think that you would want to understand if the barrel is stress relieved before machining it for flutes.

Thanks, will find out about that.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I always heard that fluting a barrel is just a way to remove money from your pocket.
    I think I see a rip in the social fabric, Brother can you spare some ammo?
    Corb Lund

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Twisted barrel . I have used them a couple of times and they do great work! I believe they are located in Wyoming. Hope this helps.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

I have fluted many barrels. Honestly, in my opinion, 99% of the time the only barrel fluting that should be done, due to the total cost and added chance of error, is at the time the barrel is contoured by the maker. It is cut to center and in the CNC lathe, little chance of error. Aftermarket flutes are cost prohibitive plus are error prone in the actual setup process.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

I’ve used several ER Shaw barrels and most of their contours run on the heavy side. Especially in the over .30 caliber offerings. The chamber end has a longer area before the taper is part of it, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Fluting a barrel does a couple of things. First it lightens a barrel while helping it maintain its stiffness and secondly, it provides more surface area to allow cooling. Both of which were needed in shooting Unlimited International Class Silhouette.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Barrel fluting can be a big plus allowing a heavier contour in a lighter weight, it also increases surface area to improve cooling (as does heavy bead blasting the surface).The other is it can shift the balance point of a rifle.

If the blank hasnt been stress relieved I would have it done before fluting, to make the fluting job easier. Then again after to remove the stress introduced when cutting the flutes.

Traditionally flutes were cut on a horizontal mill, This gave the gentle gradual in and out with the radius of the 3"-4" cutter. Once the table stops were set it allowed the smith to cut unattended doing something else. The only time he had to be there was to reset the table and to rotate the blank and start the next, With a running coolant it was hands off machining. It an be done in a vertical mill with a ball end mill but I dont think it looks as good, and the ball mill may produce more stress

Boolit Grand Master

Agreed the ball end mill is not the best option. For vertical mills these are a much better option https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/566-...cutters-nopix-

I have a set of keyed slitting/slotting saw R8 abors that will go up to 1 1/4 cutter ID. They are easy enough to make also.

https://rifleshooter.com/2014/02/how...-rifle-barrel/

Back to the subject of fluting. Fluting reduces rigidity on the barrel being fluted. On a fluted barrel and non-fluted barrel of the same weight the fluted barrel will be more rigid due to the increase diameter. Fluting gives more surface cooling. Fluting is best done before rifling. If not, you may or may not decrease accuracy and increase barrel point of impact walking. Barrels like Krieger's are double stress relieved and I've never had an issue with them from fluting after the user decided the contour was too heavy. I've done some factory heavy varmint barrels that lost accuracy. I've done some that have not lost accuracy. I've never fluted a E.R. Shaw stainless barrel.

In the 90's and early 2000's I was big into fluting. Now I just order the barrel blank contours that don't require fluting. While the increased surface area does increase surface area for cooling it did not increase usable accuracy life for NRA Highpower Match rifles in my experience.

https://kriegerbarrels.com/faq#flute
    How does fluting a barrel help?
    Fluting reduces weight while increasing rigidity over an unfluted barrel of the same weight, ie: smaller contour. By exposing more exterior surface area, it also aids in cooling your barrel.

On the barrel contours that we will flute, we expect the same practical accuracy out of a fluted barrel vs. an un-fluted barrel as long as it is fluted by us. A note on fluting done by others: We have researched and performed fluting using many different methods over the years and have really perfected the system we use. Like any other outside operations performed on our barrels, we will not be responsible for the results of other methods of fluting performed by gunsmiths/machinists other than Krieger Barrels, Inc.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-02-2023 at 03:00 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-02-2023 at 12:43 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Thanks guys, you've given me alot to think about.