Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm in a 6.5 dilemma

Boolit Master
    My dilemma is solved! I worked out a deal with a LGS and have on order a Tikka T3x in 6.5x55. I also ordered a set of 30mm Talley rings to mount a Nikon 2.5X8 that currently sits on a little used rifle and should be a good fit. I have few jacketed bullets loaded and I plan on throwing a bunch more together. I also need to put together some cast boolit loads to see how they will work in this rifle. Everything should be ready to go when the rifle gets here in about a week. I'm going to try to have it ready for deer season which opens on the 28th but if that doesn't work out, I have four other rifles ready to go.
    Maineboy

Super Moderator

I love a happy ending, congrats Maineboy! I hope it serves you well.

Boolit Master
    I happily lucked into a 6.5 creed moor , a shop owner wanted my old worn out Stevens visible loader and traded me for bergara, what a fantastic gun in an equally fantastic caliber. ive only loaded 140 and 143 grain bullets using h4350. but it is more accurate than I am. its made me have a desire to think about attending some long range precision rifle courses and learn from people who know a lot more than I do about shooting accurately

Boolit Master
    The following is a cut and pasted explanation from a European hunting/reloading site in the UK and is accurate, as far as I can find, regarding the pressure and data discrepancy between the traditional 6.5x55 Swede data and the "for modern rifles" 6.5 Skan/6.5x55 SE data. This is part of the reason why I wanted to transition from the cut down and bedded in plastic stock scout Swede with a receiver built over 100 years ago, (nearly identical to Larry's), to a modern action rifle. My Tikka T-3 barrel is stamped 6.5x55 SE indicating that it suitible for the modern European 55,144 psi loading levels with what should be a large safety margin remaining as it is the same action/barrel diameter that Tikka uses for 6.5 Creedmore, (62,000 psi), and .270 Win, (65,000 psi);

"You've got that one step out. The SKAN specs (for modern rifles in good condition only) is 380 Mpa = 55,114 psi using Piezo crystal measurement. Swedish M/39 ammo was loaded to just over 50,000 psi and some earlier and other countries' versions are lower at around 42,000-45,000 psi, but Swedish service rifles were proof-tested with a load generating nearly 70,000 psi. Lapua factory match ammo appears to be loaded to the full SKAN MAP, and I'd be pretty certain that applies to Norma sporting products.

The older / lower (42,000-45,000 psi level) is what is today recommended for loads to be used in historic arms including the Swedish M1894/96 and M1938 rifles or even less for Norwegian Krags. US SAAMI recommends a maximum (average) of 46,000 CUP using the old copper crusher measuring system which likely equates to 50,000 psi in modern transducer methods. However, chronographing American sporting ammo suggests that most firms load it nowhere near as high, and at least one I've tried must have only been in the mid 30,000s of psi - it also had an ES of nearly 120 fps suggesting under-pressure = inconsistent charge burn.

The reason for the lower SAAMI level and low factory loadings are concern for legal liability in the event of an old rifle in poor condition blowing up, in particular the single-lug Krag action rifles. Likewise, much older handloading manual data are geared to old rifles and loads and were even tested in short-barrel M1894 Swedish Mauser cavalry carbines many thousands of of which were imported into the USA in the 60s and early 70s. As well as being popular with service rifle collectors, they saw a lot of use as 'instant / dirt cheap deer guns' thanks to their short length. Some older US manuals likely use around 40,000 psi max, some the 46,000 CUP SAAMI limit (with warnings about use in modern rifles), and few if any the modern SKAN data. Viht is the only source I've seen that definitely goes that high.

In practice, in a strong modern rifle and with Lapua or Norma brass in good condition, 55,114 psi is still on the low side, so there is a huge safety margin for this cartridge."

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Took my Remington 700 ADL sporter 6.5 Creedmoor out for some exercise today. Load was 32 grains IMR 8208 under a Sierra Game King 140 at 2.740 OAL fired off shooting sticks at 150 yards. My trigger control is *terrible*, but I did manage to put two in the same hole dead center bull at 150. All the other shots were definitely striking wherever the crosshairs covered when the rifle fired. Every rifle I own is more accurate than I can take advantage of, but this one especially so. What's funny is, this rifle dates from the 2010's when people say Remington made their worst products ever.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I picked up my Tikka Hunter in 6.5X55 yesterday and mounted the scope I had chosen. It's a beauty! I have jacketed bullet loads in several weights and persuasions loaded and ready to try. I also had two different cast boolit loads but found that it won't chamber the Loverin 266 469s that easily enter my two Swedish Mausers. I'm not sure if that boolit is sized .267 or .266, since they've been around for 20 years or better and I can't find my micrometer, but the Tikka definitely has a tighter chamber. The other cast boolit load, with Lyman 268 645 chamber okay. It's raining here and we have company coming over so I can't shoot it just yet, but I'll be going to the range tomorrow.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231025_153709a.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	319254
    Last edited by Maineboy; 10-25-2023 at 03:58 PM.
    Maineboy

Very nice! What kinda Scope you got on it?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I see no buyers remorse in the future!
    That is a nice one! The T3 stock fits me just right and the accuracy builds ones confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Very nice! What kinda Scope you got on it?
    It's a Nikon Prostaff II 2.5X8
    Maineboy

Boolit Master
    Nice choice.

You may just have to seat the loverins a little deeper. Or, you could run then part of the way in a nose size die,

Quote Originally Posted by Maineboy View Post
    It's a Nikon Prostaff II 2.5X8
    If you ever want to get a different scope, those Nikons go for big money on Fleabay. I sold my Buckmasters for quite a bit more than I paid for it and upgraded to a Burris Fullfield II on my .257.

Another person is hooked on the Creedmoor! I let my best friend borrow my Remington for our upcoming season, now he's hooked and currently scheming to get one.

Banned

pick yourself up a ruger american in 6.5 grendel. i dont have one but do have an ar15 in grendel and love it. its pretty close to being a 250 sav (another one of my favorite rounds) in an ar. mine is an absolute tack driver as is the buddys ruger american. ive cleanly killed deer out to 300 yards with my ar.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123