Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: lack of 470 nitro express brass, dies and loads

Boolit Master

lack of 470 nitro express brass, dies and loads

Good afternoon all. I have gone and done it. I have recently purchased a 470 NE rifle. I want to reload for it and am not finding components for it. It seems odd to me that brass is not available. (I will be posting in the WTB section for brass and/or dies.) The reason I am posting here first is to see what the thought is as to why manufacturers are not stepping up to provide brass especially since the gun auction sites are loaded with 470 NE rifles (doubles mainly) and they appear to be selling them. I have reached out to Starline but have not received a reply as of yet. I do realize that plastic semi-autos in 9mm are all the rage now, but isn't there other folks like me who like to shoot the "thumpers" once in a while?
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

You should be able to find brass -- but it may take shooting factory ammo.

Federal if I remember made this -- probably 7-8 dollars a pull years ago, and I sure people would charge more for NOS.
    Norma may also make it now. Their PH line. Probably 10-12 a pull.

These things were always pricey, but more often than not "Coffee table Guns" as Bowen referred to the Linebaugh Longs in a conversation I had with him 25 years ago.

I image stuff is around in a closet and comes up on GB, but pulling it through your nostril may hurt a bit...
    (You'll pay through the nose.)

Boolit Grand Master

Low volume sales are always put on the back burner when manufacturers can't meet the demands for high volume items.

Brass in stock here:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1009810575

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1007772159

https://reloadingbrassusa.com/hornad...ess-box-of-20/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Doubles can be made to regulate quite nicely with pistol weight boolits at reduced velocity. I've done it with a 470 N.E. It was a hoot to shoot. I'll have to dig out the load book. Pretty sure I used 5744 in it.
    I used a boolit from a mold intended for the 480 Ruger.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wish you would have posted this last Thursday. We had a gun show this weekend and there were dies and brass for your 470NE(even 450NE and 600NE dies!!). Don't know about bullets, but with a proper mould, that would be the easy part

Boolit Master

Many thanks for the replies. It is just amazing to me that there is not more components available with so many 470 ne Rifles on the market. Rockrat I wish I'd have seen the die sets you mentioned. However, they are expensive. I guess if a person wants to play, they gotta pay. I will see what comes out of a search for components. I'm anxious to pop some off.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master
    I have heard of people making bullets from 45 acp cases. Light weight for the caliber though. I might have a Lee mould that casts pistol weight boolits as I had thought about a 470 years ago.

Boolit Master

Thanks rockrat. I have a 480 Ruger mould. It is the .476-400-SWC. That is going to be my go to boolit. It casts at 410 gr for me. I plan on alloying to Lyman #2 so it will be a little harder. Unfortunately it is a non checked mould. So I will experiment with boolit speed to control leading.

Hawk can supply jacketed for 470 NE: https://hawkbullets.com/bullet-selection.html#/
    $80-125 per 50 for 500 gr.

I used some 0.065" jacketed 500 gr samples in a 10" TC Encore chambered in 475 Linebaugh Long at one time @ 1450-1500 fps. It was entertaining. Recovered a bullet or two. Lots of bearing surface.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't forget to powder coat. Reduce leading

Hornady has made brass for the 470, I bought a Lyman mould years ago for mine and I powder coat them for plinking. I bought enough brass and Woodliegh bullets to last me till I die for Dangerous game. I think Norma is now making brass also.

Boolit Master

Thanks Spooksar. I emailed Starline and nicely asked them to consider making brass for the 470 ne. I doubt they will, but certainly worth a try. I like Hornady's products for the most part. Their brass is good. I'll check on some of i can't find any used.

Boolit Master
    Really, Ive been into guns for way over 20 years and I have never seen one to my knowledge. May have seen one and thought it was a double barrel shotgun.

Boolit Grand Master

I've seen both rifles and loaded 470 nitro express. Never shot one. I wonder what the total yearly sales for 470 nitro express ammo is? I would be surprised if it's more than 20,000 rounds per year. I've been to matches that shot that in an hour or two.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-02-2023 at 10:38 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    It doesn't surprise me that you can't find stuff for the 470 NE. You can't find brass for the 25/20 and I'm betting there's a lot more of them around than 470 NE.