WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I think highly of the 44 Special

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorite View Post
    Hold the nostalgia and pass me a 44Mag. There is no substitute for cubic inches. In terms that are easier to understand, you can make a 44 Mag a special, but you can’t make a Special into a mag.
    I won't speak for the other mfgr's offerings but the Ruger single action revolvers in 44 special can safely be loaded right up to the 44 magnum's doorstep in power and velocity.

Ruger will not comment on the 44 special max pressure but the 45 Colt/45ACP flattop blackhawk is rated for 45ACP+P pressure which is 23kpsi. I figure that the flattop in 44 special may be perfectly safe up to 25kpsi because the chambers are smaller diameter, cylinder walls are thicker, webs are thicker, and the bolt cuppets are thicker at the bottom. This level of power with a 240gr boolit in 44 special will fit right up under the lower end of the 44 magnum performance with the same boolit.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Another vote for Smith's M-69...the 4.25" bbl'd one. As to weight, it's within 1 oz. of my M-19 Smith. It's a 5-shot .44 Magnum, but really shines as a moderate weight .44 Special.

My regular load is Skelton's old favorite: any good 240 gr LSWC backed by 7.5 gr. of Unique in Special brass.
    This is a sub-2" grouping load in all of my 44's, both Special and Magnums love it. MP360-432, hollow pointed with the large pin or the 'penta', and cast from a 50-50 allow of pure lead and ACWW's, at the velocities listed below, it's an expander in water, though I've not tried it on game. All things considered, I'd not be hesitant to use it for whitetails at close up, tree stand distances out to say 25-30 yds. Muzzle velocity runs to 950-1000 fps depending on bbl. length.

Here on our farm, we've used it to put down horses that have needed that last act of mercy. Penetration was not a problem.

The M-69's light enough for all day carry even on an OWB holster, but I prefer a cross chest 'tanker' style that makes the gun available no matter what I'm wearing, summer or winter. For my use, away from the farm, trout fishing in the Smokies of NC in bear country, it's a regular companion.

HTH's Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 10-01-2023 at 10:12 AM.
    Rod

Boolit Master
    I also find the .44 Special very useful & mostly use Skeltons old load. Penetration with a hard cast bullet in the 240gr+ has to be seen to be believed.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    That Ruger went for $1125 or so and will be all of $1200 to get it home. Wow! I know that one is a "special" one but still!!!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
    Attachment 318399
    Gp100 44spl 5"
    And to think I only gave like $550 for this one in 2016 or 17 from CDN or sportsman's outdoor superstore. Can't remember

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
    Attachment 318399
    Gp100 44spl 5"
    I bought one several years ago. I already had the Lipsey Ruger BH 4 1/2"; so I tried the GP100. It was clunkier and with the 5" barrel just heavier than my Ruger SA. Also I did not like the fiber optic front sight; preferring a regular patridge sight. Mine was about $520, and I sold it later for $600.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    That Ruger went for $1125 or so and will be all of $1200 to get it home. Wow! I know that one is a "special" one but still!!!
    That's one of my problems with GoingBroker. Since the tax happy states (mine included) started taxing internet purchases and the fact that some of the shipping cost is steeper than I think it should be. the deal is not very sweet on the tail end.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I started out on my .44 Special trip with a S&W M29 8 3/8" in 1976. I soon found out that I was good for exactly 12 Magnum loads before I started hurting so I started Casting Boolits and loading Specials. I still have unopened boxes of Winchester cases. The problem with the S&W Revolvers is they hit the web of your hand super hard and that sucks. I sold it and the next .44 I got was A SBH Bisley which has the best grip for powerful handguns there is ... Note: Linebaugh Pistols all built on SBH Bisley's. RIP John...

Then I got a S&W696 No dash. IE: Firing pin on the hammer. It was perfect but the guy had leaded the barrel so bad he scared himself and sold it. ($950) It had 50 rounds thru it! Took me almost 5 minutes to clean the lead out of the barrel! It is my Hiking Carry Gun or Back Up Gun.

Then I found out another little tidbit.[ B] The X Frame Grips fit on the L and N frame guns![/B] Now I have a 3/8" rubber cushion on the web of my hand !!! I can shoot my normal 6.0 gr of W231 Loads or Skeeter Loads all day and feel no pain. And the gun shoots to the POA with Keith Boolits.

Big FYI: Do NOT ,,, and I do mean,,, DO NOT !!! Fire a Jacketed Bullet after Firing Cast Boolits without cleaning the Forcing Cone of all lead residue.

It will split the Spigot on the barrel.There are NO Replacements!!!

This is why I only shoot PC'd Boolits in mine and won't be shooting any Jacketed Bullets ever.

If I ever gave up this gun I'd get a GP100/44 3" as I have looked at them and they are nice guns, and as close to a 696 as there is. I'd also jump at a 329 4" if one fell out of the Sky. That would be a killer carry gun.

Randy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464213.JPG   100464223.JPG   100464427.JPG  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-09-2023 at 02:52 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

You know how to hurt a guy, Randy. I really want a 696 but they have been priced out of my league. A 69 is probably a tougher revolver but they dull finish and Hillary hole makes it the ugly sister.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Mold
    My .02,
    I love mid range .44, either light loaded magnums or somewhat snappy specials 240gr at just a bout 900fps makes me smile/feel confident.
    As to launching platform... between the two mentioned I'd go with a S&W if older production can be found or a Ruger if you are buying new. Also consider what feels right in your hand, as a long time S&W guy the rugers can feel funny to me.. but I just don't trust newish S&W's

Boolit Master

I had a Lipsey stainless Flattop BH 44 Spl with the 4 5/8” barrel that I bought new when they came out. Had a brain fart and sold it earlier this year when I was offered “too much money” for it. I replaced it with a 5” GP100 44 Spl. It’s a nice revolver, but it doesn’t feel as handy as the Flattop.

As I get older I seem to be having too many “brain farts”.

Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    Uncle Grinch at least your brain fart was better than mine, I wanted one of the blued 4 5/8-inch 44 Flattops and didn't pick one up when they were available. I'm still "making do" with the S&W 696.

Quote Originally Posted by david s View Post
    Uncle Grinch at least your brain fart was better than mine, I wanted one of the blued 4 5/8-inch 44 Flattops and didn't pick one up when they were available. I'm still "making do" with the S&W 696.
    Poor david, I can relieve you of your pain so that you can find a Flattop.

Boolit Grand Master

More 44's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3836.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	318701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2150 - Copy_Moment.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	318702

I like these two a lot. the 24-is a 80's gun and very accurate with heavier boolits. The 21-4 is a thunder mountain gun and I carry it occasionally in the winter.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I wonder about the Charter Arms Target Bulldog. I know it's not the choice for King Kong loads, but seems like it would be a good low cost/weight choice for factory spec loads. My woods wheelgun is an S&W 10-5 with the Lee 358-158-RF pushed to respectable velocity.
    This is exactly what I have with its 4” barrel and adjustable sights. Currently it’s doing duty in one of my vehicles loaded with the skeeter load. That load is a bit much for practice but for carry, it’s ideal. I bought the gun used and it’s finish challenged so that makes it even better for vehicle and occasional carry.

Vendor Sponsor

I ended up getting a Ruger GP-100 3" used. (44 Special) I think a good price, high $500's. It has after market black rubber grips that don't fit me well. The first 35 rounds through it put a good blister on the web between my thumb and palm with my load of RCBS 250K cast and 5grns Bullseye. This is a "special" load out of the Manual. It is not hot.
    I am on the look-out for Ruger grips and maybe something else.

The one other thing that I wonder about is there is some cylinder wiggle when it is locked up, trigger pulled, cycled and hammer down. More than my Smith M696.
    Accuracy was good for me at 25 yards, on paper only about an inch high but more left-right than I would expect like 3-4".
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell44SpecialRevisited.htm

This article addresses the skinny part of the barrel extending thru the frame on the 696. I follow his advice and only use truncated cone boolits in mine,

I wanted an S&W 69 but decided that I could get by easily with the 696.
    John
    W.TN

Like 20 years ago, I was at a pawn shop and had the choice of a used 696, or a single six. I opted for the single six cause I could not afford the 44 special ammo. That 696 was pretty.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master
    What kind of velocities are you guys getting from the .44 Sp with 3-5 inch barrels?

4 5/8" Ruger .44 special Mia clone of H&G 503 8.0 of power pistol.

1. 926 fps.
    2. 924 fps.
    3. 923 fps.
    4. 913 fps.
    5. 927 fps.
    8.0 of power pistol clone of Lyman devestator hollow point plain base.

1. 917 fps.
    2. 963 fps.
    3. 974 fps.
    4. 984 fps.
    5. 966 fps.

5.5 " Bisley .44 special H&G 503 clone 8.0 of power pistol

1. 954 fps.
    2. 984 fps.
    3. 966 fps.
    4. 977 fps.
    5. 939 fps.

Devestator hp 20:1 alloy 8.0 power pistol

1. 992 fps.
    2. 990 fps.
    3. 999 fps.
    4. 997 fps.
    5. 972 fps.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast