RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Handgun Will You Never Trade Or Sell

Boolit Grand Master

What Handgun Will You Never Trade Or Sell

I started a thread that worded oddly. I was interested in what firearm you bought for yourself that you still have. One you won't part with for love of money. That first one you scraped and saved for? One bought at auction you still have when all the others hit the road because you needed that latest and greatest like my long gone 41 Blackhawks and pre 64 Win 300 H&H?

Let's get specific. What Handgun revolver or semi have you held onto thick and thin. Bad times scraping the bottom of the barrel for food money but won't let it go.

Mine is my trusty Single Six Convertible. Carried many a mile in the woods, ton of partridge, rabbits and squirrels for supper. Dispatched problem skunks and porcupines and mink/muskrats and coyotes on the trap line. Used on whitetails for the parting shot. I think I will be buried with it as when I go home it is always taken and is the first on my hip to carry around.

Can't see like I could and it might take 3 or 4 to headshot a squirrel when back in the day I'd shoot lights out with it but I don't care. I'll pay the ammo bill
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

My dad's High Standard H-D Military. When I was a kid in a very small town, we still had a town dump. I killed hundreds, if not thousands, of rats with that 22 pistol. Same for his Winchester 75 target 22 rifle. Fifty years later I am still mildly depressed about the town switching over to a landfill........
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Probably my old Colt Cobra 38 stubby.

For Christmas, 1966, Mom and Dad gave me a Ruger old model Blackhawk in .41 magnum with a 6 1/2" barrel. Still have it. Thousands of hot j bullets and target cast lead. I kept it in good shape but used the heck out of it. A Belt Mountain pin and a set of Pachmeyer grips are the only changes. I've probably had over a hundred handguns come and go in my life. The .41 Blackhawk will be the last to go.

To many to mention. if we exclude collectables, which many here own, the shooter guns I'd never sell are, the Ruger 44sp flat top, Ruger BH Bisley 45C, Smith J-frame snubby.
    See, I can't keep just one!

For me, it was a Series 80 blue Gold Cup.
    I'd dreamed of having one for years, and in the early 90s, the stars came together and I bought a new one.

It's never fired a factory round, but hundreds of pounds of 190 SWCs.

When I first got it, I only had 10 empty cases.
    I'd load & shoot 'em. Then load & shoot 'em again for quite awhile before more brass started coming to me.

The other is a .45-70 CB. But that's for another thread.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 09-24-2023 at 06:45 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    A Ruger MKI 22 with a 6.875" barrel. Put tens of thousands of rounds thru it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nothing I own is that important to me. Guns are tools.

I have guns I really like but if someone wants to pay me $500 over market value, they are gone.
    Don Verna

Mine is a New Model Super Blackhawk my wife gave me as a wedding gift close to 50 years ago. At this point in life I probably will not get rid of anything unless it is to one of my kids.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    I got two that I couldn't get rid of...Magnum Research BFR in 45/70 and a Thompson Center Contender in 30/30 it is very accurate.

Super Moderator

Mine would be my S&W 625 Model of 1989 45ACP/45 Auto Rim revolver. I almost sold it once in "somewhat" hard times a lot of years ago, but I'm glad I didn't do it as it's one heck of a good shooting gun. I also have an old model Single Six that I inherited from a deceased uncle that will never be sold.

For me it is the family heirloom rifle; an 1873 Winchester in .32-20 with a 22in. octagon barrel. Bought in 1902 at the Phelps Dodge mine commissary before statehood as one of two consecutively serial numbered rifles bought together at the same time (the other is with family up in Colorado). Aside from being used to put food on the table at the family homestead in southern Arizona near the border, it was also used to shoot at Pancho Villa's stragglers fleeing the battle with U.S. forces at Columbus, New Mexico in 1916. I bagged my first deer with it within line of sight of the old homestead back in 1990. Every male member of my family has used that rifle for the same purpose.

I realize now that I didn't read the title of the thread very closely;... What HANDGUN Will You Never Trade Or Sell? Ooooops!

Well,...that would be my Randall 1911 Service Model .45acp. It's a blood gun,...and that's all I'm gonna say about that.
    Last edited by atfsux; 09-24-2023 at 09:25 PM.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Buddy
    I sold most of my initial cheap collection and ammunition to purchase a 6" Les Baer 45. That one is sticking around as long as I can stand.

The other is a S&W Highway Patrolman 357 that a distant relative used as his service revolver.

Gdad's commercial,bought in '17... 1911 that he carried during WWI in the Army Air Corps...

Ain't goin anywhere,for ANY price. It's a very good shooter,albeit limited to a mag or two a year with some soft 200g SWC loads. Which interestingly,chambers with his original mags like greased ball bearings. And even with the razor thin front sight,will tear the X out of a slow fire 50 foot pistol target. I'd guess that in it's 100+ year lifespan it's had less than 1k rounds through it,just looking at the internal wear.

My pistols will all go to our 4 wonderful sons,and their boys so there's never been any concern about selling. I've already given them each a cpl...

I'll never get rid of my first handgun, a SW1911. Probably has 15k rounds through it by now.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Buddy
    S&W 686 .357, 4" barrel.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Ruger bisley 45c 7 1/2” barrel. It was the first revolver that I set up for hunting. It is still my favorite hunting revolver. It would be the last to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2624.jpg  
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

All of them, handguns or rifles. NONE are for sale or trade

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01925.JPE 
Views:	12 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	318257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01926.JPE 
Views:	13 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	318258

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01927.JPE 
Views:	12 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	318259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01928.JPE 
Views:	7 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	318260
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I have several.

The first was a request from my Father in Law. He was drafted for the Korean war right out of high school. Because he was a farm boy he ended up running a D6 cat feeding a rock crusher. The problem was the rock crusher was making gravel for the air strip in the Chosen area. He wanted a 1911 that he could hold. As close to GI as I could get.

What I found was a Springfield Armory early 90's make that was very close to stock GI issue.

We were down visiting and when the ladies disappeared into the bedroom to do girl stuff. I got the 1911 out and handed it to my father in law.

It was pretty interesting. For about 3 hours he never said a word. But I would see him smile as a memory came floating up and he remembered someone. Then slowly he would become more serious, and would end with tears rolling down his face. He would compose himself, and do it again, and again.

I swore to him that from that day forward it would be known as "Roger's Gun" and that I would tell his great grandchildren all that he told me. It is an heirloom of the house.

The other end of the spectrum is a little NAA arms Ranger II 5 shot revolver in .22mag. If I carry most often that is what I carry. It is small, light, and cute.
    Cute like a baby rattlesnake. Cute with a sting. I carry it in a IWB holster setup on my left side for cross draw, butt to the right. Any shirt, jacket, t-shirt or vest will cover it totally. I have worked the nylon holster a fair amount. The revolver has essentially a pin on top of the barrel for a front sight which used to catch in the nylon stitching of the holster.

I cut a wedge shaped piece of kydex and formed it to the top of the barrel and around the cylinder. Then hot glued it to the holster.

A hair tie is hot glued to the top outside of the holster, which stretches back and slips over the hammer.

This is an "anti fall out of holster hitting the floor" when using a public bathroom. Happened to me once in a Walmart and I thought on it till I had a solution.

Middle of the road is a Ruger New Model Single Six in .32H&R mag that I have only shot .32sw longs in. This little girl thinks she is royalty, but if you sweet talk her a little bit she shoots like a princess on steroids.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast