Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Question about smokeless ML

Question about smokeless ML

Hello Folks,

A few years ago I gave up hunting, and have been slowly selling my hunting rifles. One I would like to sell is my Swinglock 50-caliber smokeless muzzleloader. But I’m worried about buyers. Let me explain what worries me. A friend of mine is an okay shooter and hunter, but is not at all knowledgeable about guns. One year I bought a Savage 10ML II smokeless muzzleloader. When he saw it he went out and bought one of his own, brought it to me, and asked me to sight it in for him. I did, using my own components. When I returned it to him, I gave him a list of components to buy, including Accurate 5744 powder. He came back a few days later and asked me to load his rifle for him, as he was going hunting the next day. He handed me a bag and said to use the components he had bought. In the bag I found a pound of Bullseye! When questioned he said “that is what the man at the gun store said to use.” I bought the Bullseye from him, loaded his rifle with my Accurate 5744, and weighed a charge into a film canister so he could reload once. My friend is far from being the only person who would make this mistake, and I don’t want to sell a gun to somebody who may hurt himself.

The Swinglock, made by Tom Post in Erie Pa., is very much stronger than a Savage 10ML II, but I would still give the buyer a copy of the Savage owners manual and suggest he use Savage load data.

My question is this: how can I screen potential buyers to identify someone who has sufficient knowledge to safely use a smokeless muzzleloader?

Thanks, Tom

Boolit Master
    I’d simply start by asking him what he knows about smokeless muzzle loaders. I’d ask him if he knew that they can only be used with a few different types of powder. I had an ML2 and met many others who had them. It’s amazing how many people who own the Savage ML2 don’t understand that there are reasons why they can’t use any smokeless powder. I hear what you’re saying, but other than giving them the two questions and then sharing what you know about them, they’re simply on their own at that point. Who’s the comedian who always says “you can’t fix stupid”? He’s right about that. You can’t save everyone from themselves.

Boolit Master
    Don't sell it as a "smokeless muzzleloader". Advertise it as just a standard muzzle loader. It should still work just fine with black and subs.

Anyone who understands what it really is can then take advantage of the smokeless loads. Just don't mention it to buyers.