Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol lube recommendations?

Boolit Master

Pistol lube recommendations?

I’m nearing the end of a supply of RCBS sticks I bought in a closeout a couple years back. It works OK, but I’m wondering if there might be something a bit better for my purposes.

I cast mostly plain-base bullets from straight COWW+2 or alloyed with 50% pure lead and don’t push them past 1100 fps. Bullets are sized at or slightly under throat diameter. All used in revolvers.

I tumble lube my .38 wadcutters with either thinned LLA or Rooster Jacket.

I’ve got a few lbs of clean beeswax and am not averse to mixing my own. I mixed some Satan lube for pan lubing several years ago, but I’d like something with less or no paraffin. It gets messy in the hot Texas weather.

I’m also about to take up rifle casting for a Winchester 94 .30/30 and a custom Springfield sporter .30-06, probably starting out with the RCBS .30-180-FN.

Thanks!

I have been using Randy Rat's 'Tac1' in my Lubersizer. He used to sell on this site, but I may have had to go to EBay last time I purchased. I use BLL in my low velocity pistol loads, and have started powder coating in the last year. Not using my RCBS Lubersizer nearly as much as I used to. My option is that the BLL should work in the 30-30, may not in the 30-06? YMMV, hc18flyer

Ben’s Red is working fine for me. There are many threads on how to make it.

Sam Sackett

Moderator Emeritus

There are, without a doubt, better lubes than what I have/use. For most all pistol/revolvers, I have been using plain-Jane Lyman lube -- the hollow sticks in my 450 and the blue lube from Magma in my Star. (Exception is .221 Fireball -- I use Lyman Orange Magic) I use the Orange Magic for rifle, too.
    geo

Super Moderator

White Label's BAC for pistols, 2500+ for HV rifles is what I use.

Boolit Master
    White Label Lube carnauba red. Best lube I've ever used.

In slower speed and shorter barrel hand guns- compared to rifles, the lube has a easier job and
    you can do fine with pretty much any of the well proven home brews using the beeswax you have.

Since I don't want the villagers coming after me with torches and pitch forks, chanting 'Burn the Witch':
    I wouldn't specifically recommend it---- but in my under 900 fps loads for .38Spec & .45ACP handguns,
    I use Mrs. Winger's old melted down fu-fu candles mixed with high temp disc wheel bearing grease.
    I used to use the kid's broken crayons, but they grew up and left home.

For cast in rifles, I started out with Lyman's Orange Magic back in the old days,
    I've tried a few others, but keep coming back to it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
    White Label Lube carnauba red. Best lube I've ever used.
    Carnauba Red or BAC. Carnauba Red will need a little heat to flow BAC usually does not. (My reference is in a Star Sizer) cool basement year round. (58 - 60 winter 68 - 70 summer) Carnauba Red may be better in TX heat.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sackett View Post
    Ben’s Red is working fine for me. There are many threads on how to make it.

Sam Sackett
    Yep Ben’s Red is my go to for just about everything from 30-06 and 223 to 9x19, 9x18, 38 special, 357 magnum, and 358 maximum! And a whole lot in between!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    In slower speed and shorter barrel hand guns- compared to rifles, the lube has a easier job and
    you can do fine with pretty much any of the well proven home brews using the beeswax you have.

Since I don't want the villagers coming after me with torches and pitch forks, chanting 'Burn the Witch':
    I wouldn't specifically recommend it---- but in my under 900 fps loads for .38Spec & .45ACP handguns,
    I use Mrs. Winger's old melted down fu-fu candles mixed with high temp disc wheel bearing grease.
    I used to use the kid's broken crayons, but they grew up and left home.

For cast in rifles, I started out with Lyman's Orange Magic back in the old days,
    I've tried a few others, but keep coming back to it.
    I also use a miscellaneous mix of products including scented candles, high temp disc brake grease, Gulf Paraffin, and the red wax off a block of cheese. I don't even remember the proportions now, but it is all I have used for the past few years for pistol, and it seems to work ok. I actually have a can of water pump grease I inherited from my stepfather; anybody remember that stuff?

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Just for local availability i end up initially getting off the shelf Lyman products, eventually I got a bunch of sticks of various makes though the secondary market. So far all have worked for my purposes. My lube for caliber selection is more driven by what sizer is used and if i need heat. My Lyman 45's live the easy life with lubes that flow at room temp such as Alox or Super Moly lubing .38 and 9mm. The later models lube sizers with dedicated heaters gets the harder types of lube and cover both rifle and pistol. My last outing with .38 showed a nice muzzle star of lube showing that at least the lube seems to be holding out for the trip down the barrel.

My only tumble lube is on a Lee 148g soupcan Wadcutter, seems to work so not much i can add there.

For black powder i do mix my own simple beeswax, crisco and olive oil concoction that seems to work for the limited number of rounds i shoot each year.

Boolit Master
    +i on White Label BAC. Works for me.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Grand Master

You and I cast and shoot almost identically , same alloy's , mostly handgun with 30-30 and 30-06 . Over the last 50+ years I've tried many commerical lubes ...and keep coming back to Lithi-Bee . I used to buy NRA 50-50 beeswax-alox from a commerical maker . The original formulation for Alox was changed and the new NRA 50-50 was in his opinion not as good and he wanted me to try his
    Lithium-Beeswax lube , he felt it was better than the "new alox-beeswax" ...
    I tried it and did like it better , even better than the old alox-beeswax . I keep trying other lubes ... and keep coming back to Lithi-Bee .
    The maker , Garth Choate , got out of the lube making business but gave me the recipe ...1 part Lithium Grease ( I use Lucas Red-N-Tacky) to 3 parts Beeswax .
    The "parts" are measured by weight ... I mix a 1-pound can Lucas R-N-T with 3 pounds Beeswax in a old crock pot on high . The beeswax will melt the grease doesn't melt ... mix , blend and incorporate with a stiff steel whisk .
    Turn off pot , let cool and harden . Repeat this twice more ... the heating and mixing and cooling 3 times fully incorporates / blemds the mix so no separation occurs even years later ...it stays a homogenous blend .
    You can make hollow or solid sticks or like I do , heat and spoon it into my Lyman 450 lube reservoir , then let it cool / harden overnight ... not as messy as making those hollow sticks in my book !
    This is a soft lube and doesn't need a heater . I have found this one to work just as well as any hard lube ... To date when used ... no leading in any handgun or rifle .
    Some say Lithi-Bee is smokey ... but I don't mind a little gun smoke ... I do a lot of shooting on an indoor range and I don't see a problem with it !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-27-2023 at 06:27 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Does lithi-bee work with pan lubing? I do FWFL pan lubing.

Boolit Man

Ben's Red with a splash of automatic transmission fluid. I have a 2 qt Teflon aluminum saucepan for melting lube components. Follow Ben's instructions and I add 1/4 cup ATF to pan full of lube. I use an old 9" x 13" aluminum cake pan, pour the saucepan full of lube into the cake pan, plan hot cake pan into the freezer section of "MY" refrigerator (old manual defrost, that is turned off). Wait 10 minutes, remove cake pan, wipe out water / melted frost, return everything to frig, turn frig back on.

If your block of lube doesn't fall out of the cake pan, put the pan bake in freezer section for an hour, lube contracts, whole block falls out with a couple of taps on the bottom of upside down pan.

white lable carnuba red needs heat tho

Boolit Buddy

Lyman Orange Magic

Boolit Master
    I use WL 2500+ for both pistol and rifle. Works perfect and I only have 1 450 sizer anyway.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Does lithi-bee work with pan lubing? I do FWFL pan lubing.
    I don't know , never tried to pan lube with it .
    It may not be stiff enough ...

Garth's instructions said if the lube was Too Soft , to add Gulf Wax Paraffin wax to harden , as Gulf Wax is a good hard paraffin .
    Stuff like crayola's and some candles can be too soft .

I never could get pan lubing to work right ... I failed miserably with it and that prompted me to buy a Lyman 450 with sticks of lube !
    That 450 was the best thing I ever bought ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve probably got 5 pr more pounds of the NRA classic 50-50 beeswax and ALOX. When that runs out, I’ll probably go to le Carnauba Red I got from Dale53, but it has the downside of needing to be heated to apply, but it doesn’t run in any but the hottest weather.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast