MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black powder shooting

I got it down where i can load the gun in 15 seconds but that's with every thing set out on the bench ready to go. It doesn't take long to shoot a bunch. I spend more time aiming at the target than it takes me to load. My eyes Arnt like they used to be. Its so relaxing and fun.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lags View Post
    maybe the addictive nature of firearms is why our federal government is trying to ban all guns.
    the govt. Wants to ban firearms ownership, cuz they are planning to do something they would get shot trying. Plain and simple/

i definitely keep getting the itch to buy a black powder revolver. I’d also would like to put together a kit M/L. one of these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well then poop or get off the pot and do it this stuff isn't going to get any cheaper in the near future. It is so much fun. The only problem is once you get hooked on it your are dun for and will have a list of new guns you want. Sorry not sorry its just the way it is. Happened to me Im looking for a couple new guns right now.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    i definitely keep getting the itch to buy a black powder revolver. I’d also would like to put together a kit M/L. one of these days
    I had 2 1851's. Couldn't stand cleaning them. Gave one to my oldest son and the other to my youngest daughter. Now I have a couple of Flintlock pistols. Easier to load and easier to clean. And although I have a couple thousand caps, I don't have to worry about using them up.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I had 2 1851's. Couldn't stand cleaning them. Gave one to my oldest son and the other to my youngest daughter. Now I have a couple of Flintlock pistols. Easier to load and easier to clean. And although I have a couple thousand caps, I don't have to worry about using them up.
    I waited way too long to get hooked on Black shooting, I am now 71. Done a little over the years shooting other's rifles, but just never got around to getting anything for myself. Well, one day, a buddy talked me into trading something or the other for his little CVA .32 cal. Squirrel carbine that he had put together as a kit. Got hooked.

Then I decided to get a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 cal., 1999 model and then another Pietta 1851 Navy .36 cal., 1981 model, and then another Pietta 1851 Navy .36 cal., 1975 model. All gotten slightly used or new safe queens when none could be found new, due to Covid shutting down Italy production. Ended up slicking them all up to my liking and gave two of the better ones to both my son and a hunting buddy's son. Far too much cleaning to shoot three at once anyway, I thought. And I always broke them completely down for cleaning, so it was a chore.

Well, I decided to start making my own powder, caps, lubed wads, etc. and of course I was already casting the ball. Shortly thereafter, Hodgdon closed down Goex, so I was sure glad I had already made good headway into making decent enough Black and caps, thanks to all the help on the Making your own Black Powder thread. It was a lot of work, but i enjoy it a bunch.

Fast forward a year or two and here I am, still with the Squirrel rifle and now three revolvers again. Got a really nice in display box, (non-authentic) nickel plated Pietta Confederate 1851 Navy chambered in .44 cal., and along with my original .36 cal. Pietta 1851 Navy, I just recently got a 3rd Generation Colt Signature Series .36 cal. 1851 Navy with square back nickel plated trigger guard and grip frame. The Colt is assembled in the US using special ordered Italian parts. I think likely Uberty as the cylinder takes Uberty nipples and much of the rest of it is not exactly the same as the Pietta models.

So there I am, definitely hooked on Black and still spending half my evenings cleaning Black Powder fouling out of my guns.

Most of my center fire guns are either still in my safe or hanging on the wall looking so down and neglected. Clean, but neglected.
    Last edited by HamGunner; 10-01-2023 at 03:17 PM.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    I turn 70 in a couple weeks.
    I started shooting BP rifles I built from kits when I was 16.
    Thru the years I collected and shot many center-fire guns.
    But like my grandfather did, who was a gunsmith also , I went back to building and shooting almost all BP guns once I retired.
    I still have all my CF guns.
    But I just prefer the BP guns and all the things that go with it like making my own powder and primers.

Quote Originally Posted by HamGunner View Post
    Then I decided to get a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 cal., 1999 model and then another Pietta 1851 Navy .36 cal., 1981 model, and then another Pietta 1851 Navy .36 cal., 1975 model. All gotten slightly used or new safe queens when none could be found new, due to Covid shutting down Italy production. Ended up slicking them all up to my liking and gave two of the better ones to both my son and a hunting buddy's son. Far too much cleaning to shoot three at once anyway, I thought. And I always broke them completely down for cleaning, so it was a chore.
    There for a minute I thought I was talking with "Josey Wales".
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I have a 51 and a pocket model - only clean barrel and cylinder until they done (each) about 200rounds - squirt some oil in the innards to keep em ok - had the 51 over twenty years - get some black gunk on a full pull down but never seen sign of rust or corrosion inside em. The 51 has had a couple sets of nipples, hand spring, trigger/bolt spring. Its an ASM - was a good gun when I got it and been tuned by someone that knew their stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12