Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a 32 cal mold

Boolit Master

Recommend a 32 cal mold

I’m stretching the legs on my .32 SS Bisley. Shooting 117gr dowels:

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...bullet=31-117E

GREAT bullet. But opens up past 50 yards, shoots as good at 50 yards as I want it to at 100.

Any suggestion for a mold (preferably multi-cavity, preferably obtainable) for a bullet design that will fly true to 100? Some sort of truncated cone or LFN with max driving band I figure? I prefer to avoid a gas check if possible?

I have good results with the Ranch Dog one designed for the 32-20. Out of my Single Six and S&W 16 they are quite good to 100 yards. (And Contender and Marlin 32-20 for that matter.) Mine is a plain base design, with tumble lube grooves and 6 cavity. I think NOE makes that design now.

Accurate 105 grn 105t iirc.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    Arsenal makes a 314-100 grain clone of the Lyman 313-631 which ought to be right up your alley. Accurate also makes a similar mold, the 31-100L. But beyond these, just about any of the lighter-to-middle-weight 32-20 molds should work. In my 32-20's, I find the Lyman 311-316 and the RCBS 32-98 SWC work the best.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Accurate 31-105T is go-to bullet for .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R and .32-20.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31-105T-D.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	318241
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have close to a dozen different 32 pistol bullet moulds, some of which fall in the category of unobtainable now. If I had to pick one bullet for the 32 H&R though, that discontinued Lyman 313631 would probably be my choice even though I don’t own the mould now myself! AFAIK, that was the only bullet Lyman designed specifically for the 32 H&R cartridge, and they sure discontinued it quickly. Beagle had his modified to remove the gas check feature and even had one cavity drilled for a hollow point. I was fortunate that he and I were doing some swapping and I ended up with a goodly supply of his castings, but as my supply of these runs low, I’m thinking about another mould purchase from whichever of the specialty shops will make me a copy of it (sans gas check). This in spite of the plethora of moulds I own already!

I’ve never tried the bullet design that Outpost75 suggests, but it is designed in the same general vein as my beloved ‘631, if maybe just a couple of grains heavier. If he says it works well though, I’d be willing to take that to the bank too.

There seems to be a sweet spot in the ballistics of the 32 revolvers at about 95-105 grains with the top end maybe a little better and that bore riding round nose with flat point design just seeming to work!

When you make your choice Mr Rabbit, please come back and share your results with us. There are a surprising number of “32 Aficionados” on this forum as you may have noticed, and we all seem to have our pet loads for our favorite revolvers, but love to discuss what others are doing.

Warmest regards,
    Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Moderator Emeritus

No one has yet mentioned the RCBS 98 swc which has always been near the top of my accuracy tests.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Are arsenal molds as good as noe and accurate? Looks like thats where the ranchdog ended up?

http://arsenalmolds.com/index.php?ro...product_id=210

Boolit Grand Master
    I don’t know whether ranchdog has any connection with any mould maker these days. He is busy running his website for Lee enthusiasts.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    I bought the Arsenal version and it is top quality. I went with brass, so it is a little heavy, but casts bullets that work well in my Ruger and Marlin.

Boolit Master
    I own 11 different molds in the range of .313-.316" as-cast diameters and weights of 85-120 grains. Several years back I tested all of them against each other for group size with a few of my revolvers in 32 S&W Long, also 32 H&R Magnum. At the end of that test I found that the SAECO 325 (98 gr. at .313") gave me the tightest groups of all these molds. I found this mold on ebay and was hoping for tight groups and am more than delighted with it. YMMV.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thin Man,

It looks like you have found that elusive “sweet spot”. I’m sure other folks wil prefer something else, but I’d be willing to bet a tuppence that their “magic bullet” for all around use will be within a few grains of yours!

While the 38 Spl and its big brother 357 Mag got “all the love” for bullet design for years, the 32 has been lurking in the background waiting to jump out and perform. Somehow I want to get my library of moulds to a favorite WC of about 90-97 grains, one or two SWCs with either a round flat nose (a la the one shown by Outpost75] and/or the truncated cone (as seen on the Lyman 313631) and running about 100 gr +/-, and a big old 118-125 gr design such as the Ideal 3118 and its imitators. The problem is, there are now so many attractive variations on this theme. Does anyone really need an excuse to buy another mould?

Froggie

Plus one on RCBS 98 swc; this one is as accurate as Hornady's superb 85 gr XTP, through my M-16 Smith and 3 different Ruger Single Six's. Sizing is critical, as always, but all of my guns like 0.412"+. YMMv Rod
    Rod

Boolit Grand Master
    Doesn’t that .412” bullet have a hard time passing through a 32 cal barrel?

Rodfac must have a Squeeze Bore

I have also had good luck with the RCBS 98 SWC in both the Smith M16 and Ruger Bisley in 32H&R.

The RCBS 98 SWC also makes one of the prettiest little cartridges when loaded in the 32H&R.

Boolit Grand Master
    And so, Whiterabbit, it looks like the question isn’t what bullet works well but how to narrow the choice down to just one. The only thing you have to remember is that the whole purpose of a wadcutter bullet design is to go accurately for 25-50 yds and then punch a nice round hole in the target paper. It really doesn’t have the aerodynamics for long range travel.
    Enjoy the next step in your journey and be sure to check back in and let us know what works for you.
    Your Friendly Frog

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    I’m stretching the legs on my .32 SS Bisley. Shooting 117gr dowels:

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...bullet=31-117E

GREAT bullet. But opens up past 50 yards, shoots as good at 50 yards as I want it to at 100.

Any suggestion for a mold (preferably multi-cavity, preferably obtainable) for a bullet design that will fly true to 100? Some sort of truncated cone or LFN with max driving band I figure? I prefer to avoid a gas check if possible?
    I am fairly new to the 32 cal game, but I have been doing a fair amount of testing of bullets and loads ( see thread 32 Long Load Request) at this point, my vote would also have to go to the RCBS 98gr SWC, with the 3118 as a runner up. That said, there are several molds out there that show a lot of potential.

Boolit Master

Geesh,,dont leave out the old 311316,that sucka shoots!!

Boolit Master
    Interesting thread. Thank y’all.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Accurate 31-105T is go-to bullet for .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R and .32-20.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31-105T-D.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	318241
    Thanks for the advice Ed. My new Colt Army Special .32-20 thanks you too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast