Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Helping out a buddy with '92 Winchester

Helping out a buddy with '92 Winchester

A friend visited yesterday to seek my opinion on a little 25/20 '92 Winchester ( manufactured in 1911)that he had just bought. Rather unusual configuration with a 1/2 magazine and rather heavy 24" round barrel. Typical farm gun, stored often for long periods and rarely cleaned well. A few factory rounds confirmed the barrel was still accurate, then we started using my ammunition consisting of an 80gn (0.259") boolit over 7.5gn of lit'l gun and reformed 32/20 cases.

Cleaning after every 10 shots, the bore has come up very shiny. This 112 years old rifle is a keeper for sure!

We finished the day by reforming some Starline 32/20 new brass into 25/20.

Last edited by Bad Ass Wallace; 09-23-2023 at 08:54 PM.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Great old rifle. It would be cherished here as well. Enjoy.

DG

Way cool.

It won't work on you, but when one of the younger guys comes along with something like that,
    I tell 'em what my Dad used to tell me, "That's too nice for you. Send it back".

Or, "You'll shoot your eye out kid. To keep you safe, ya need to let one of us older guys have it".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Nice old rifle. Lots of fun there.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Master

Many years ago my father got my older brother a 22. He was about 10 at the time and had a paper rout. My brother soon found out it was not a big enough caliber to use for hunting deer so he put the word out on his paper rout that he wanted a hunting rifle. One of his older customers sold him an 1892 in 25-20 for $35 and he came home with it. It has the round barrel and a full length mag tube. I ended up with the 22 Remington model 4 which looked like it was in new condition. My father had walked in to a second hand store as the owner was going through an old trunk he bought. The Remington was rolled up in a blanket in the bottom of the trunk. My father gave $8 for it.
    about 20 years ago my brother said he was not happy with the groups he was getting with the 25-20 so I took a look at it and the rifling was almost gone so I installed a liner in it and it shot great. The rifle has been his for 67 years now.

Boolit Master
    love seeing these old rifles restored and back out doing what they were made to do. would make a great wallaby gun.

Boolit Master

Nice old rifle. It probably could tell some interesting stories.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Good for you. I helped a friend get his 92 takedown rifle going with finding a mold, dies and brass. We were able to find some of the 25-20 brass Winchester did a few years ago. FWIW today, 32-20 is as much as 25-20 brass now. He shot it in a cowboy match.
    It reminded me how much I like a 92 action so now I have my own 92 made in 1923 but in 32-20.

Nice, I have one in 25-20 from around the same time period, 1912 or 13.
    Very fun., Congrats.

RP

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Mold
    I had a very nice '92 takedown in .32-20 back in the '70's that I bought at a swap meet in Southern California, obviously before they went crazy. Anyway, I didn't appreciate the little rifle at the time and let it go a year or two later, which I've often regretted. Now I have a Rossi R92 stainless, 24" octagon in .357. Using it for Cowboy shooting with .38 Specials. It's a good rifle, accurate, slick and dependable, but it's not a Winchester 1892.

Boolit Master

I have a Rossi 92 SS 26" octagonal barrel that just sets in the safe. I was going to use it in SASS matches, but the wife was Dx'd with a neurological disease and I'm the healthcare provider. That gun is the most balanced rifle I own.
    Also have a Uberti replica 1885 in 38-55. It's a beautiful shooter, but like you say, it's not a winchester.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    A friend visited yesterday to seek my opinion on a little 25/20 '92 Winchester ( manufactured in 1911)that he had just bought. Rather unusual configuration with a 1/2 magazine and rather heavy 24" round barrel. Typical farm gun, stored often for long periods and rarely cleaned well. A few factory rounds confirmed the barrel was still accurate, then we started using my ammunition consisting of an 80gn (0.259") boolit over 7.5gn of lit'l gun and reformed 32/20 cases.

Cleaning after every 10 shots, the bore has come up very shiny. This 112 years old rifle is a keeper for sure!

We finished the day by reforming some Starline 32/20 new brass into 25/20.

Mine is a much newer version of yours, Winchester Model 1892 Carbine S/n 870,xxx which was made seven years later, in 1918. Locked in the very back of the safe, I do not recall barrel/mag particulars and you piqued my curiosity re mine . Maybe (I hope) in next day or two I can take some out to get to it, and will advise the config mine has... maybe even with a photo.
    MUCH Congrats on bringing the firearm you have back to life. Mine has a "cousin" -- a Marlin 27S .25-20 sporting an octagon 24” barrel -- made sometime between 1911 and 1918 -- and I've had much pleasure taking these two to the range.
    geo

Lovely little gun, wonder if I can get one here i the UK, I got a rossi r92 but as has been said, it ain't a winchester.

Nice gun! Like the others have said they are neat little rifles and having two myself just love shooting them when having ammo as they load slow and shoot fast! I like 1680 powder best in both 25 and 32 cases.

My personal rifles, a pair of '92's in 38WCF made in 1892 (4 digit Serial No's) for the State prison guards. Metal is pristine, carried a lot but rarely fired.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

I love my old ‘92 in 38WCF, it is one of my favorites! So is my Marlin 1894 in 25-20 made in 1900. I really like my reproductions, but there’s just something special about the real McCoy. Thanks for sharing.