Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dies for Garand and M1A Recommendation

I have used 50 year old standard RCBS sizing to reload for the Garand for many years. I visually inspect, gage each time and trim when needed. When the cases start looking a little tired, I pitch them. I still have a good Supply of USGI cases and am not a guy who is obsessed with testing and technical knowledge.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

While I don't have Mr. Gibson's experience or expertise, I too am a big fan of the X die. I have them in .30-06 and .223 and have been quite pleased. On a common case like the .30-06 or .223 I figure after 10 loadings I'll consider the case done and toss them. The X die gives me this easily, and with no trimming after the initial prep of the batch. I find the 06 brass will start to fail at the rim from the violence of the feeding/extraction/ejection cycle of the M1 long before anything else starts to go.

Regarding small base, I've never used them. Mil surps tend to have generous chambers, and my one Douglas rebarreled M1 and the Colt AR worked just fine with standard dies. Why over size if you don't have to?

Thank you Mr. Gibson (et.al) for the excellent information regarding the "X" die! (I have "book marked" this information for future reference.) I have also used the '06 "X" die for my BAR (NOT WWII vintage), instead of small base dies, with satisfactory results. With todays component prices, I will be replacing my .308 and .223 dies with the "X" when possible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12