RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And I thought nobody flew kites anymore

And I thought nobody flew kites anymore

We all did as kids, and stores always had a big display of them for about a dollar.
    I can't remember the last time I saw someone flying one..... until today.

Now days, everybody has electric model airplanes or those quad blade drones.
    I see them buzzing around all the time.

Today, I actually saw a kid with an old school kite with a tail made out of rags
    and on a string flying along above the tree line here.

I haven't seen any for sale lately. I wonder if he made it out of news paper and sticks
    like we did after we'd crashed all our 'store bought' ones.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Hee! I went through a brief phase of having "kite fights" with the other kids using the plastic Gayla bat kites. which you could sort of steer. Never did have much luck keeping an old-school diamond kite airborne.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I built and flew kites and I have thought about doing it again!
    Plenty of wind and open space behind my house!
    I have not figured out what wood is best to use for sticks!

Boolit Master
    An old man that lived beside our school used to fly huge box kites in the hay field behind our playground. Some days they looked to go 500 ft. high. His old outhouse was always smoking from everywhere, we all thought he was smoking big cigars in there, but one day he showed us he was smoking carp in it !

Boolit Master
    Yep! I had several of those kites when I was a kid. Seems like I paid about 10 cents for them. Don't think I was ever able to make one fly like I wanted.

I always liked the kites that looked like a mini hang glider. I don't know what they were called...but they were made of plastic sheeting and attached to plastic tubes. I love the ones that had "eyes" on them. (yes...I remember the older wooden/paper kites too...made of balsa wood)...but the "plastic" ones that came about in the mid-70s were a lot of fun. You could steer them and make them dip/dive. I don't think I ever paid more than a buck or two for them...the only thing you had to do was buy more string. I always had them tangles in trees and of course the string rarely survived. Most times we'd fly them at the beach...no trees on the Jersey shore beaches back in those days.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Folks that live near a beach see them all the time. Inland, not so much. But then, I don’t see a bunch of kids playing pickup baseball or touch football anymore either.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master
    I never had any luck getting a box kite off the ground, but did have a lot of fun with the diamond style ones for a few years. Then the batwing type came out and they would do all sorts of things and still stay airborne.

Had a few strings break, then wading brush and pastures trying to find the kite.

It has been probably ten years since I saw a few kids playing baseball in a vacant lot. That was something we did almost every day during summer in the late seventies. I don't think we ever had more than eight kids playing at once.

Lots of playing out of position, the best (or worst) was if you were batting, you were also the catcher and umpire.

Robert

Boolit Master
    We had to make our own kites. Some worked great some not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    I always liked the kites that looked like a mini hang glider.
    I remember, I think it was 1969-1970 I saw the first one of those.
    The skin part of them was real thin vinyl, and they were kind of pricey for us kids.
    I want to say the first company selling them called them 'Glites',
    named after being a kite inspired by the new generation hang gliders of the day
    people jumped off cliffs with.

They are still made by somebody, and called high performance 'stunt kites'.
    They start at only around $150.oo.

It reminds me of the old RONCO commercials when at the end they said, "How can they do it so cheap"?
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Head to a resort town along a shoreline. There will usually be a store or two selling everything from basic paper kites up to and including 4 line control kites that can be made to do just about anything. There used to be a number of clubs across the country. Closest one here was: https://www-personal.umich.edu/~annritt/bsaf/bsaf.htm.

Website is still live, I don't know if they are still active. Cool what they can do with them. Do a search for control line kites on youtube. You'll be amazed what can be done with them.

My wife has a couple of control line kites, I've got a small Chinese fighting kite. Fighting kites is still a big thing in China. The line is coated with ground glass and the object is to saw your opponent's line with your line.

We haven't had them out in several years. Used to fly them at the farm. When that was sold after my mother passed we lost our private flying field.

A Big Kite pilot let me try flying his ski rope equipped kite on the beach near Ventura, California back in the 80s.
    It went well for a bit; then started dragging my 150 lb self out to sea! The owner rescued his kite before I lost it- but it was close.
    As a kid, we’d tie our kites to our rod & reels sometimes for grins.

May as well toss this oldie but a goodie in while we're talking about the good ole' days of our youth.

Although it's been about 25 years ago, it sure brings back a great memory flying a kite with my oldest granddaughter. It wasn't but a few short years later when I told the two of them about being able to tie two Dixie cups together with string and they could talk to one another through them. I'm pretty sure they though old Gramps was pulling their leg. Off to the little store in their small town we went to get the making's. I still remember the clerk's face as I walked those two little ones up to the counter, nothing but a small package of Dixie cups and a roll of twine. The clerk had a couple years on me (but not much) and I watched his face turn into a gentle smile as he looked down for a moment and then bag the items, he knew exactly what was about to happen and I'm pretty sure was having a memory of his own pass by.

Didn't we have a great life inspite of what we may look around and see these days?

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a box kite I use to lift an antenna that is 250 feet long(end fed half wave...)... when that is flying I have super strong signals! Ham radio 160 meter band... if I had a quarter wave vertical I would need a 135 foot tall tower on insulated legs! Not something I can do on a 1 acre lot!

Back in the old days we saved labels off of Green Giant containers. Redeemed a bunch of them along with 1$ for a 6' tall white plastic kite. It had 5 plastic tubes for arms that mounted to a central plastic fixture. The skin was white plastic with a big picture of the jolly green giant on it.

Biggest problem was finding a day calm enough to fly them. They loved 5 mph breezes but tended to break in anything much over 10 mph wind. But man when the weather was right they would fly!

We got started with oak strips sawed by dad with newspaper or white butcher paper skins.

Lets go fly a KITE!
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    When I was a kid I liked to use the "Funnies" from the Sunday paper to make kites - they were printed in color so the kite (to me as a kid) "looked cooler". IIRC, I only has one box kite - my grandmother gave it to me at Christmas. I couldn't have been too old as she passed away when I was eight. My Mother helped me with it, but we never got it to fly very well. I haven't thought about kites for years, but things like that sure kept us busy when we had time to play. We'd fly them in the hay field with plenty of wide open space. Good times and good memories!

Boolit Master

Seems like every time I tried to fly one I ended up looking like Charlie Brown.

Boolit Master
    I would get a kite and 2 balls of kite string and mother had silk one foot square hankies and I would make parachutes and use a paper clip to send it to the top and pop the string.

Boolit Grand Master

Buying plastic kites in a tube and a ball of string was common as a kid. Those were everywhere. Wife and I got the bright idea a few years ago to get a few kites as the wind never stops here and we are surrounded by soybean fields. Couldn't find one anywhere.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I built and flew kites and I have thought about doing it again!
    Plenty of wind and open space behind my house!
    I have not figured out what wood is best to use for sticks!
    I would use carbon fiber rods instead of dowels. They should be more than strong enough and they aren't horribly expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast